VG23 New Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: VG23 New Build

Post by mhd »

Fuzz wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:22 pm Holy crap 47 sheets! Are you building the Queen Mary :?:
Hi Fuzz :-)

Study plans and spec call for 37 sheets, but some modifications on the interior/exterior. Plus I *really* want to try and sqeeze a very small tender on there if it is in any way possible. I'm going to try and design that myself once the hull is complete and I can see exactly how much room there is. If it isn't possible, then I suppose I'll build something else :-)

Plenty of work ahead!!

Mick
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Orders enough wood to build two boats 8O BBV is a powerful thing :lol:
I am sure you will have lots of fun. I would love to build another boat just to build one, have no need just the want.

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

The FB11 Nesting Dinghy I think would be too big , but there was a nesting dinghy on the forum built before the FB11 plans . You could look at how he built it or buy the FB11 plans and convert the PK78 into a nesting dinghy , you can find 4' to store it . You have enough ply for a couple .

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

rick berrey wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:01 pm The FB11 Nesting Dinghy I think would be too big , but there was a nesting dinghy on the forum built before the FB11 plans . You could look at how he built it or buy the FB11 plans and convert the PK78 into a nesting dinghy , you can find 4' to store it . You have enough ply for a couple .
Hi Rick,

I actually already built the FB11 so I have the plans - the blog is here viewtopic.php?t=66028. But you are dead right - it is too big/heavy (my first build - I'll try not to repeat the over-built mistakes this time). Yep, the design I'm thinking of would maybe be a modification. Built fast and as light as possible and just rowing - no sail option. But Jacques indicated there wouldn't be room for a tender, so if that is the case I'll use the ply for something else.

I spent part of today simply sorting out the ply and epoxy and organising everything in the garage to get ready. Looking forward to getting started, but work is going to get in the way of that. However, it should be the final time that happens I hope.

Cheers,

Mick

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Fuzz wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:34 pm Orders enough wood to build two boats 8O BBV is a powerful thing :lol:
I am sure you will have lots of fun. I would love to build another boat just to build one, have no need just the want.
Yeah, it is addictive for sure. But my aim for now is to get the VG23 on the water as fast as I can, and simply become a proficient sailor. And then we'll see what happens... :-)

Cheers,

Mick

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Well, after a loooooonnnng trip for work, I got back last night, very jet-lagged, but ready to commence the hull build.

Today we started end-to-end joints on the ply for the main hull panels. Initially we will need five so started with the first one today. Primed with resin on the end-grain and then a resin/wood-flour mix on each end before pushing them up together and taping with 12oz biaxial tape. I'll leave for 24 hours before flipping and doing the other side. Only space to do one panel at once, and that is partially out of the garage door, so at least ten days of work before we're ready to cut the panels and start stitching them up. But at least things are moving again.

Cheers,

Mick

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Mick, Glad to see you starting the build!!! Jeff

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Turned over the first panel. Joint looks solid and I'm happy with it, so I taped the other side.

And tested out the new fish-eye lens for my camera :-)

All good up to now.

Mick

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Started on the second long hull panel. Getting to be a tight squeeze in the garage, but all going well up to now.

Mick

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

As fast as your moving you'll be needing paint soon