VG23 New Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: VG23 New Build

Post by mhd »

Thanks Cape-Man. Thanks Jeff.

One more coat of paint tomorrow and should be ready to permanently glue on the cockpit sole and the seats. That will really feel like a big step forward.

System Three Pennant Primer
Interlux Brightside White (with 10% brushing liquid added)

The primer goes on easy and leaves a really good surface for paint. First time I've used the Interlux and I really like the finish. Garage is around 62F and at that temperature it does takes a long time to dry (24-48 hours).

Had to reduce the brightness in the photo as is so bright and shiny. Will need extra dark sunglasses for sure :-)

Mick

FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Glued down the cockpit sole - I'm happy with it. Tomorrow I'll fill and glass the edges.

Mick

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Glassed in the cockpit sole and primer inside the port side skirt compartment.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Looks good!
Hank

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Starting to really see the thing now! Good luck!
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Thanks Hank and thanks Fallguy.

I'm happy with how it is all going. Occasionally it is daunting to consider all the work that still needs doing, but things are at least seeming to move fast now. For the next few weeks I will have some time and can hopefully crack on and make some good progress with the main cabin and fore-cabin.

I spend a LOT of time stood at the stern of the boat looking forward and simply thinking about what is coming next and what order to do things in.

I'll keep posting photos as the build progresses. Thanks for your interest.

Cheers,

Mick

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

mhd wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:00 pm Thanks Hank and thanks Fallguy.

I'm happy with how it is all going. Occasionally it is daunting to consider all the work that still needs doing, but things are at least seeming to move fast now. For the next few weeks I will have some time and can hopefully crack on and make some good progress with the main cabin and fore-cabin.

I spend a LOT of time stood at the stern of the boat looking forward and simply thinking about what is coming next and what order to do things in.

I'll keep posting photos as the build progresses. Thanks for your interest.

Cheers,

Mick
Me, too. I made lists; lots of them.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Good progress. Managed to get the port cockpit seat glued in today. I'll glass in the edges tomorrow. The front edge will need rounding over so that will take a little longer to finish.

I also finished sanding the cabin floor compartments on the port side and put the first coat of primer on. I've marked the compartment lids on this side too, so cutting those out will be another job to do in the near future.

Mick

cape man

Post by cape man »

Looking good! One bite at a time. 8)
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Well, another "bite" it is...

First coat of paint in the port cabin lockers and first coat of primer to starboard. I also glued on the starboard cockpit seat. I'll tape the edges tomorrow. Both seats still need trimming to size and rounding over on the inboard edge.

Apart from painting, the next tasks are fitting cabin seat backs, with associated lockers/pigeon-holes. I estimate I'm roughly eight weeks of actual work away from turn-over. However, we've got visitors coming to stay for two weeks in late March, and after that we are out of town for three weeks ourselves. So turn-over is estimated some time in May. Let's see how accurate that prediction turns out!

MIck