VG23 New Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

VG23 New Build

Post by mhd »

Well, here goes! We just measured the garage for one final check that the boat can actually fit in there, and will also squeeze out the door. Tight on both height and width, but I've convinced myself it will fit, including basket and wheels, and that it can be done.

Requiremetns: 2 person crew, mostly cruising around US/Canada/Mexico coast. Longer trips to Caribbean/Central America. Extended offshore periods if desired.

First tasks:

Yesterday I traced the large-sheet plans onto paper for making an initial paper model. Doing this really helped on our previous build. I'll then modify the initial model based on some changes I'm considering and will make sure I'm happy with any such changes - nothing too drastic - the design is well-proven already. Next, I'll make a rigid scale model out of balsa wood to the final planned design.

Until spring 2023 I'll sadly still have to work so will be completing some of the smaller self-contained tasks that can be done prior to the hull build. Brian, a VG23 builder in the UK, advised doing as much of the smaller stuff as possible first, since once the hull is built working space is vastly reduced. Makes a lot of sense. So the plan will be to construct chainplates, ruddder, keel, centreboard etc., prior to getting started on the hull.

Let's see how it goes. Based on the previous build, I think it is possible to be completely finished and in the water in under two years - sailing is the goal, rather than building. But of course, I will no doubt smile ruefully to myself when I re-read this post in the future...

Mick
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: VG23 New Build

Post by mhd »

First job. I cut the keel bottom and side panels from the last piece of marine ply I had. The edges of the pieces still need smoothing slightly to size. Once that is done I'll stitch it together.

I also made the split backstay chainplates. That is the first stainless steel I've ever drilled and the first time I've used metal blue, a punch, and a scribe for decades. Some of the holes aren't perfectly centred but It went okay - slow and steady. Both pieces are at least symmetric I drilled through the same holes for the second. The ends still need rounding off with a file. I added a couple of inches to the design length and drilled holes for the backstay pins on both ends - if one ever breaks/cracks (unlikely I imagine), it should be possible to flip and the use the other end as a temporary replacement.

Mick

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Good luck Mick.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Got the keel together to test how the forward portion of it will fit - plans call for 3" pvc pipe on the leading edge. I'll unstitch and epoxy seal the inside surfaces before putting it back together and starting to do the inner joins.

Plans also call for 500kg (~1100 lbs) of lead ballast. I'll bet that won't be cheap these days, but I will try not to think about that until the hull build is out of the way.

Mick

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Following along!
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

This morning I unstitched the keel and coated the inside with resin. I'm using a *lot* less resin than when I first started - the aim is to build as light as I can. Once the resin has cured I'll sand and restitch and then do the interior fillets.

I finished making the backstay and shroud chainplates also. And then bought a welder. I plan to fabricate the bow-stem fitting/chainplate myself. Always wanted to learn how to weld - plenty of advice/tutorials online. How hard can it be :D

Mick

WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WouldWork »

Always wanted to learn how to weld - plenty of advice/tutorials online. How hard can it be
I bought a little stick welder a couple of years ago having said the exact same thing..... Honestly though, after blowing several holes in my steel, a few dozen bits that fell apart and a lot of swearing, tidying and grinding after the fact, I found you can get something strong with some persistence and practice, and it's great to learn new things..
Completed:
CC14 Canoe
V12 Sailing Dinghy
In Progress:
D5 dinghy

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

The best welders are really expert grinders.

Take a class at your local trade school. You don’t need more than the introductory class. Typically only a couple nights and no real testing/certification. The class will show you how the tools are properly used and help you establish base techniques to be safe.

Beat dollars I could have spent.

Which welder did you acquire?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

I bought a little stick welder a couple of years ago having said the exact same thing..... Honestly though, after blowing several holes in my steel, a few dozen bits that fell apart and a lot of swearing, tidying and grinding after the fact, I found you can get something strong with some persistence and practice, and it's great to learn new things..
Which welder did you acquire?
Well, I'm sure I'll get *something* ! We'll see how serviceable it is. But yes, always good to learn new things.

This is the welder I ordered. Arrives on Friday. I'll report on progress once I've done some test/practice welding.

https://www.dekotools.com/products/160a ... older-deko
The best welders are really expert grinders.
Now that I can believe!

Cheers,

Mick

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

Jaysen wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:58 am The best welders are really expert grinders.
Haha, I prefer: "If you have to grind your welds, you aren't a welder, you're a grinder"

Following along. I love a big boat build.

Phil