VG23 New Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: VG23 New Build

Post by mhd »

OK, a hard few days. I joined up more ply for the two long stringers, and cut two bulkheads (A and B). This morning I joined up the middle two portions of the basket/cradle and put wheels on it. Not the most professional job, but it will serve. Trying to work in the garage, with such limited space, and heavy unweildy sheets of ply is a real pain. Seems like all the heavy items always need moving so there is space to do the job in hand. But at least most of the big stuff is done now and space should improve as the wood gets moved from the ply pile into an actual boat.

There isn't a lot of room but one good thing to note is that the boat actually will fit in the garage :-)

Just now we moved all the hull pieces outside, rearranged everything, and brought them back in, with the first three pieces now inside the basket mould, ready for stitching up. I may give myself a day off first. I did some of my Westlawn coursework for the first time in a couple of months today and that was a nice change - theoretical rather than practical boatbuilding!

Next job will be moving and rearranging all the ply off the floor and stacking it somewhere, and putting down plastic sheeting under the basket so my garage floor doesn't end up in an even worse state. Will post photos as progress is made.

Mick

FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

I think there is enough room to add that 10% , you might have to rearrange a little :D

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice progress Mick!!!! have a good weekend!! Jeff

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Got a few stitches in and it starts to look like a hull but that's enough. It isn't aligned or anything, but I'm too tired to do any more today. And I need help to move it into the centre of the basket mould before I go any further. I'll do that and stitch up the rest to get it reasonably square over the weekend.

Mick

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Spent the last two days tidying up in the garage and moving things around to more sensible places to work. Also balanced the boat better and got it more stable - it is now possible to walk inside the hull without it feeling like the whole thing will collapse. The hull is pretty well aligned and square and level, even without the bulkheads. Today we fitted the topside panels and now space to work really is at a premium :-)

The topside panels are designed to be lower in the cockpit, but I have not yet cut them down as I want to see what shape looks best. Whether slightly higher topsides will still look good - I've done a few sketches and will decide once the bulkheads have been test fitted and can sketch on some some different profiles.

The bow needs re-stitching to get is better aligned :-)

Next job is marking out where the stringers fit inside the hull, and then fitting them, and the bulkheads. I already cut one stringer to shape and it looks a good fit (marking out appears to have been accurate), so I can cut the other one the same. I've marked out Bulkhead A and B but not cut them exact yet. Bulkheads C, D, E, F, need some panels joining and then marking/cutting. Bulkhead G needs re-designing to fit the extended cabin port and starboard. Bulkhead H is a straight measure and cut. The transom needs laminating, then marking/cutting.. I think a minimum of two to three weeks to get all the stringers and bulkheads in the hull.

But no problems. This is a nice boat to build up to now (and would be a lot easier with a bit more room!!!).

Cheers,

Mick

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice progress Mick!!! Jeff

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

rick berrey wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:01 am I think there is enough room to add that 10% , you might have to rearrange a little :D
Well, currently the hull is over 16" longer than designed :-) I just never cut down the panels to the exact size and left them as the full length of three panels with the necessary marking on there in case they hadn't fitted. I've thought more and more about the skirt that Jacques designed and am going to try and squeeze at least a short skirt at the stern.

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

Jacques would be smiling over your build , if you read his old post,s when he was designing the VG 26 you could tell he liked a skirt .

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

rick berrey wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 7:50 pm Jacques would be smiling over your build , if you read his old post,s when he was designing the VG 26 you could tell he liked a skirt .
Yeah, I'd really like to think so. I do want to build the boat as he designed it and it is a shame he won't be around to see it in the water. Of all the boats I looked at in the years up to buying the plans, and everything else I read, nothing else really fitted what I was looking for. From reading his posts on here too, and elsewhere, he gave me the confidence that it could be done. I'm sad I never got to meet him in person. But every single time he replied to my questions (whether dumb or not), and in all the posts I read on the VG20/23/26, he was always talked sense and it was pretty clear he really knew his stuff. The boat, when it is finished, will be poorer without his advice along the way.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Mick, you are going to do fine!!! Jeff