VG23 New Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: VG23 New Build

Post by rick berrey »

Mick , if you haven't read his articles on the Amateur Boat Building site you should , the forum is no longer active as far as I can tell , but the content is still there . Jeff , if there is any way you could get his articles from that forum it would be great to have them here .

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Rick, The Forum is a little slow but still active. Mick can find anything he needs. I am always happy to help if he needs anything specific!!! Jeff

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

Jeff , Jacques did work on another forum " Amateur Boat Builders " , ran by a guy in Europe . The whole design process of the VG26 is on there in 7 or 8 part articles as well as other of Jacques designs . It would be nice to get those articles from that site put onto Boat Builders Central . Rick

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

rick berrey wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:04 am Jeff , Jacques did work on another forum " Amateur Boat Builders " , ran by a guy in Europe . The whole design process of the VG26 is on there in 7 or 8 part articles as well as other of Jacques designs . It would be nice to get those articles from that site put onto Boat Builders Central . Rick
Yes, an excellent series of articles by Jacques that I've looked at often. This is the link for the VG26:

https://www.amateurboatbuilding.com/art ... sign1.html

Mick
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

mhd wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:21 am
rick berrey wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:04 am Jeff , Jacques did work on another forum " Amateur Boat Builders " , ran by a guy in Europe . The whole design process of the VG26 is on there in 7 or 8 part articles as well as other of Jacques designs . It would be nice to get those articles from that site put onto Boat Builders Central . Rick
Yes, an excellent series of articles by Jacques that I've looked at often. This is the link for the VG26:

https://www.amateurboatbuilding.com/art ... sign1.html

Mick
Fun fact... that may not really be all that far from your favorite online supplier of marine builder supplies. ...

Code: Select all

(bbc_community@vpsXXXXXX:~)
drwxr-xr-x 13 bbc_community pgXXXXXXX 4096 Mar  3  2021 amateurboatbuilding.com/
I believe Jacques started the ABB site as a precursor to BBC and Jeff continues to host it in a parallel to these forums and the gallery. I don't maintain it but I do jail it. I really should get in there and take care of it like a 4th child though. It deserves the same love and care as all the other sites.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

I thought he was somehow involved , there is a lot on that site that could benefit builders here , and a nice rendering of the TW32 dream .

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Small world! :-) Yep, the content is still valid and very useful.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Dry-fitted the stringers - they look fine. Took a while adjusting the height of bow/stern to match the bottom curve of the stringers but I'm happy with it now. The stringers terminate aftwards at the originally-designed location of the transom. Any skirt will be fitted aftwards of this point.

I've also dry-fitted Bulkhead A and B and they look okay also. Working on fabricating the other bulkheads one by one now. I'm fitting them more-or-less "whole" initially; i.e. without all the little cuts for the galley, etc. Again, I'm still thinking about the final layout of things and want to see the full-size bulkheads in the boat before I make decisions that will be hard to change in future.

Mick

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

Are you leaving the hatch location as designed and bringing the cabin top as you drew it aft of the hatch ?

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

rick berrey wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:44 pm Are you leaving the hatch location as designed and bringing the cabin top as you drew it aft of the hatch ?
Hi Rick,

Yes, exactly. Extend the cabin top aft on the port/starboard side of the hatch. The original hatch position will be unchanged. I'll also install the bridge-deck that Jacques outlined for the "offshore VG23". The changes will decrease the cockpit volume, which will be useful for offshore sailing, as well as providing some additional interior cabin storage space.

Cheers,

Mick