VG23 New Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: VG23 New Build

Post by mhd »

Busy couple of days.

I wasn't happy with how the hull panels were coming together at the bow - it was possible to just bend the ply to shape, but I had the feeling it wasn't aligned correctly. So I re-stitched the topside panels, moving them forward a couple of inches to see if that helped.. Much improved fit and worth the effort.

I've also got the first three bulkheads dry-fitted in position now and they look good - on the photos below the gaps are exaggerated - the boat wants to spread apart but when the topsides are coaxed together, as they will be when fitted for real, they are a decent fit.

This afternoon I cut out 2x 1/4" and 1x1/2" ply to laminate for the transom. Original plans are for laminate of 2x 3/8" but I'm going slightly thicker (Jacques' offshore rudder design is larger than the original). I'll work on the remaining bulkheads over the next week or two - I keep slightly modifying the position of the boat in the basket - as per the plans the stitches aren't very tight currently and the aim is to allow the panels to find their own shape. The hull diagonals already seem pretty close to perfect, and that is the aim when the rest of the bulkheads go in. The last thing I want is a twisted hull.

Five more bulkheads to make up, plus the transom.

Cheers,

Mick

FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Taking the time to get things correct now will save a ton of work latter on.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Good work Mick!! Jeff

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Nice looking work there, and fortunate that you have a wide angle lens to (mostly) capture it all! Hopefully you have enough space to get around there, looks a little tight.
Hank

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Thanks guys. Yep, it is tight in there but there is just about room. Around the bow is the toughest but I should be able to stick the stern out of the garage when needed, and so have a bit of extra room.

And yeah, the work now will save work later. I hope! :-)

I've got Bulkhead D dry-fitted now and the transom is laminated too and I'll cut/fit that this evening. Bulkhead E is measured and ready to cut and dry-fit also. So all moving along nicely. This part has gone quicker than I imagined, but I'm sure things will slow up some when I get on to the glassing. But I'm enjoying it and that is the main thing. I'm looking forward to having the hull tabbed up and the bulkheads all fitted for real.

Cheers,

Mick

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Okay, all bulkheads dry-fitted. Plumbline on each bulkhead centre (just visible below the spirit level) hits the centreline marked on the bottom hull panel within 1/4"

I'm finishing the transom today and will then tighten up all stitches as per instructions in the plans. It is really difficult to get the hull shape correct (chine to topside) around Bulkhead B and Bulkhead H but I've got it good enough now that I'm happy. Diagonals are correct so once the transom is in we're ready to begin tabbing up the hull in preparation for taping and glassing the inside. At the same time I'll bite the bullet and begin cutting the inner bulkheads to the correct dimensions.

I've tested bending the deck to shape with a half sheet of ply and all appears fine. I'm happy with that and it looks like we'll have just under 2" of extra headroom in the cabin. Some of the bulkhead curves will need a little attention with a block plane or sander as they aren't perfectly symmetrical between port and starboard - you can see that in the curves in the photo. I think that is because I didn't really have room in the garage to get the long batten bent fair when marking out - it was always hitting something at one end, and that pulled/pushed it out of shape. Minor hiccup but I'll make a template curve and shape to that on each side which should sort it all out. To be honest, I doubt it would matter or be noticable when the deck is fitted, but best to get it right now and not regret it later.

The deck will be fitted inside/below the topside panel sheer line right from the bow back up to Bulkhead G now (in original plans deck terminated at Bulkhead F). With the extended deck the deck will now merge flat with the topside at Bulkhead G and forward of that point, right to the bow, I'll fit a thin gunwale/inwale - nothing too heavy - but which will act to stiffen up the boat further longitudinally. Devlin has a nice section on that in "Devlin's Boat Building" and describes it as a "shear-clamp". I liked the idea, and when rounded over and glassed it will also function as a toe-rail. Hopefully I can keep the sheer-line fair and symmetrical at the same time.

Cheers,

Mick

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work Mick!!! Jeff

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Thanks Jeff.

2nd post of the day. Teasing the bow into the correct shape using temporary scraps of ply to align the panels...

Mick

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Good progress, and it's taking shape nicely! The time you take now to get things aligned and making fair curves will pay off in the long run, even though it's an effort. When you're walking up to the dock and your own creation is sitting there all pretty and fair, it's going to feel so good- you'll be a proud papa!
Hank

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Having such a tight work space isn't ideal, it'd be nice if you could roll the boat outside to get a better look at it. That said, what I can see looks good.
Hank