VG23 New Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: VG23 New Build

Post by OrangeQuest »

A few folding tables to put up outdoors to mark out larger/longer templates before cutting maybe?... get creative!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Hi guys,

Yes, rolling the boat outside has to happen - not enough height in the garage so at that point we'll have a better idea of how things look. Once it is tabbed up and taped on the inside it will be a solid structure and I should be able to wheel the boat(at least partially) outside - the platform it is built on is on wheels. Couple of weeks to get to that point.

As for marking out (and sanding/cutting the individual pieces) I've been doing more of that outside now the weather is warmer. By next month it will be too warm :-) And I'm trying not to annoy the neighbours too much :-)

All good. I've just finished giving the transom a coat of resin on edges and both sides. I'm hopeful I can have that tabbed in tomorrow. Will report on progess as it goes.

Cheers,

Mick
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Interesting. An error on the VG23 plans (both metric and imperial). First one I've noticed and I'm stupid for not figuring it out myself before cutting. When I was marking out last night I knew there was something wrong but couldn't figure out what. After I'd cut this morning and put the bulkhead in the hull, it became obvious...

The mistake is on the "frames" plan (E240/5 - metric and imperial) in the Large Sheets folder (page 6) and the issue is with the port/starboard holes cut in the frame. The bottom horizontal cut of these holes is given on the plans as being at the baseline (waterline) 9 3/4" from the bottom of the frame but should actually be at the same height as the stringer at that point 13 1/8" and the same height as the top of the central hole (cf. page 5 and the stringer dimensions on page 7 where the other dimensions are given). It looks like the necessary horizontal cut lines are simply missing from the plan. The settee/berths go through the p/s holes (and provide legroom for sleeping). The berth is at the height of the stringers and so, unless I'm completely misreading everything, this has to be a mistake on the plans. Otherwise it is going to be a strange sleeping arrangement :-)

I can easily tape/glue the cut pieces back on port and starboard - easy to fix so no harm done. Pretty obvious with hindsight and my own fault for not following my instinct and figuring it out first before I actually put saw to wood.

Mick

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Mhd,

I had Crystal take a look at the plans and make that correction. Sorry there was an error and that you are now having to go back and fix that error! I appreciate you pointing that out so we could make the correction though.

-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Reid wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 3:34 pm Mhd,

I had Crystal take a look at the plans and make that correction. Sorry there was an error and that you are now having to go back and fix that error! I appreciate you pointing that out so we could make the correction though.

-Reid
Hi Reid,

No problem at all - totally minor. I only pointed it out so other builders would be aware of it. As a builder it is also my responsibility to pay attention - so my own fault. I've been starring at the plans for so long I should have figured it out. And easy to fix so no harm done.

Today I've tabbed up the bow with putty and small fibreglass squares.- that was the final part. Next I'll remove all the stitches and tape up the inside as per the lamination schedule. I am already in love with this boat - no regrets at all. I've set myself the goal of having the boat moved to the coast and in the water by next year. We'll see if I can stick to that schedule, eh?

Cheers,

Mick

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

I cut most of the interior parts of the bulkheads - it certainly makes them lighter to move about. And it was interesting moving around inside the boat, and getting a feel for how much room there will/won't be.

I'm still trying to figure out the final location for everything - water-tanks, batteries, etc. etc. etc. I'm 99% decided, but I keep trying to think if there are other alternatives that might be better. Spending a long time on a small boat will get stale very quickly if things aren't best situated.

All the tabbing is done now and since I took the above photo, I removed all the bulkheads - they are stored outside on the deck under cover now as I don't have room anywhere else. I also removed all the stitches too - the boat supports itself which is a good sign :-) Next job is taping the chine-to-topside and chine-to-bottom panels. Putty and 2 layers of overlapping 12 oz biaxial. Same at the bow and transom. On top of that the entire inside of the boat gets a layer of 12 oz biaxial. Once all that is done and faired and sanded the bulkheads and stringers go back in and get the same treatment.

But before any more we're giving ourselves a couple of days away to recharge our batteries.

Mick

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Current situation...tabbing complete...transom fitted...bulkheads removed.

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Almost completed both layers of 12oz biaxial on the port side now. First layer is 6" width tape and for the second layer I cut my own 10" width tape from a 50" wide roll. Just a small section to do on the port side now and the second layer on the transom. After that I'll swap sides - the bow still needs taping but that shouldn't take too long. Then it will be on to one layer of 12oz biax over the entire inside hull.

This was the first time I ever laid two layers of glass, one straight after the other, wet on wet. I was worried about it curing too fast, but this was "slow" epoxy and it worked well enough. Now it has dried I don't see any significant air bubbles. For the first time I also mixed in some 1/4" chopped strands into the putty mix along with resin, silica, and wood-flour. A few runs in places where I used a bit too much neat resin but they'll sand off and overall I think I've got a good mix/application technique figured out now. I'm happy with the outcome.

I'm trying to keep on top of other bits and pieces also. The other job I did today was laminate two pieces of white oak together to make a 2" thick internal "stem". I'm going to plane this to a triangular profile and putty it directly inside the hull at the bow. I'll then glass over with the intention of adding strength to the front of the boat, AND to provide a flush surface to bolt the bowstay to internally. This isn't in the plans currently but I see no real alternative if I want the bow-stay bolt nuts to sit flat at 90". I'll post a close-up photo of it once I've got it ready to fit.

Fisheye shot of progress.

Mick

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

You are really moving fast Mick!!! Jeff

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

I've seen a suggestion that makes sense to me- lay the wider tape first, as there will be less chance of air trapped under where one tape laps over the other. Some people let the first tape set up and grind a taper on the edge, but doing it wet on wet is better.
Hank