VG23 New Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: VG23 New Build

Post by mhd »

Second and third panel completed just now. I was debating whether I finished the third and then cut them to size and install in the basket mould, or wait until I've makde up all five long panels (extra two are for topside panels). I've decided to join all five first simply because of the room it takes. Should be finished by Thursday at the latest, and will then mark and cut out and stitch up the hull.

All the measuring in the world doesn't really prepare you for how big the boat is actually going to be!

Mick

FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Parts are arriving...

Andersen No.12 self-tailing winch x2
Jabsco Compact Marine Toilet
Plastimo Contest Cockpit Compass

Mick

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Congratulations!

Now comes the fun part. Build a boat to put them all on!

You’ll have a real fast move from flat panels to “that looks like a boat”. Don’t slow down because that’s when the hard stuff starts. The further along you go it starts to feel like visible progress takes exponentially more effort. It does. But in the end, the water is yours to explore. I’m looking forward to following your build through to the end!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Jaysen wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:15 pm Congratulations!

Now comes the fun part. Build a boat to put them all on!

You’ll have a real fast move from flat panels to “that looks like a boat”. Don’t slow down because that’s when the hard stuff starts. The further along you go it starts to feel like visible progress takes exponentially more effort. It does. But in the end, the water is yours to explore. I’m looking forward to following your build through to the end!
Yep, the house looks more and more like a chandlery every day :-) I've got tons of stuff here and there, and bookmarks to all the other stuff I need to order. I'm in it to the end for sure - come hell or high-water!!!

Thanks for the support, mate!

Mick

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Good progress!!! Jeff

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Yesterday I said goodbye to more $$$s and ordered cleats and chocks and a bilge pump. Today, I cut the first three hull panels to size - 2x chine panel and bottom panel. A *lot* of checking of the dimensions before biting the bullet and putting saw to wood, but all good I think. I will cut the last two topside panels tomorrow. Then at the weekend I hope to build the "basket" on wheels to build the hull inside of, and stitch the hul pieces together. One step at a time. The plans then call for all bulkheads and stringers to be cut to size and test-fitted in place before the hull panels are measured for symmetry and can be finally glued up.

One change I've been comtemplating from the original VG23 design is to add in the "skirt" originally designed by Jacques as a "offshore" modification for the VG23 - I have the plan modifications for this "offshore" version showing the skirt along with a bridge deck, longer rudder and larger skeg - all changes I do aim to carry out. The skirt in Jacques' offshore version is very similar to the skirt used to lengthen the VG18 to become a VG20. In the design for his "offshore" VG23 the transom moves forward and the cockpit volume is reduced as a result. However, I will modify this with my own similar idea, which is that the transom will remain in the original location and a shorter skirt will be added aft of the transom. The result would be a boat roughly 9 to 12 inches longer, giving with a small amount of additional stern flotation, a mount for the outboard, etc.. I plan to reduce cockpit volume by the alternative method of lengthening the cabin (see below). One thing to note is that all builders of the skirt (for VG20 at least) highly approve of the design.

if I decide to go with this "skirt" option (and if I can fit in the extra length in the garage - which is not guaranteed) it will become obvious in the next few weeks. I've lengthened/cut the hull panels with this in mind as an option. There will also be a small change in balance of the boat to deal with given the extra LWL but some other things are possible to compensate for this.

Additionally, I decided to definitely lengthen the cabin aftwards from bulkhead F to bulkhead G (discussed with Jacques and approved at the start of this build) and to try to squeeze an extra inch or two of headroom in the cabin if possible. I've made changes to the plans with all these things in mind. Of course, there is a lot of fiddly messing around with dimensions etc for all this, resizing bulkheads/frames, etc., etc., etc. It would have certainly been simpler/quicker to just to build to the plans. But that is the advantage of building your own boat - you get to make changes if you think it is worth it, and live with the consequences if you mess up.

I should stress that nothing I'm changing will fundamentally affect the stability or seaworthiness of the design. The stability of the VG23 and the offshore capability were the reasons I chose this design in the first place.

I'll detail the entire build, and will highlight any changes from the original plans as things progress.

Cheers,

Mick

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice!!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Will enjoy watching this come together :D

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

All hull panels cut. Used a 12' piece of trim as a batten to get a reasonably fair curve (overlapped points).

I've decided to make up the two stringers first before joining the hull panels - will have more space that way. I'll need to join another couple of pieces of ply so an extra couple of days before I can build the hull. There are plenty of other pieces of ply left over than I will also start marking out and rough-cutting for various parts.

Mick

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice progress!!! Jeff