Getting ready to paint the hull, so I have questions

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Getting ready to paint the hull, so I have questions

Post by OrangeQuest »

I have been using Petite brand bilge paint for my lockers and really happy with the results. My plan is to continue with the Petite brand of paint for the rest of the boat. I had bought the primer and top side paint, but they have since dried up and I have to reorder them. I like the semi-gloss of the bilge paint;
I understand it comes in white, why can't I paint the whole hull in bilge paint?
That includes below the water line. I am painting over the graphite bottom after a coating of neat epoxy. The paint seems to be very hard to sand and it holds up to all the chemicals that wind up in the bilge, wouldn't that be the same for the outside of the hull? Our kayaks get a crude build up on them that is hard to take off with a 3100 PSI sprayer, that same crude will form on the hull of my boat at the waterline.

Only thing I would be concerned with is, does it have the same UV protection as the topside paints?
I will use standard Petite topside paint, but I am looking for a new white that Petite started selling. "BLUE GLOW WHITE 3176" No retailer lists it on the websites. When will it come out?

So a recap of my questions:

Can I use white bilge paint for the outside of the hull?
Anyone know where to get the new Blue Glow White from Petite paint?
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Getting ready to paint the hull, so I have questions

Post by fallguy1000 »

I wouldn't use bilge paint. It is fairly soft.

At least do a side by side tds comparison to a 2 part poly.

For boats staying in the water. Antifoul?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I have used some of their two part paints and they have been pretty good. At least for someone who is not looking for a show room finish :wink: But dang does the mixed paint stink of what! I have to do it outside or wear a real good mask.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:25 am I wouldn't use bilge paint. It is fairly soft.

At least do a side by side tds comparison to a 2 part poly.

For boats staying in the water. Antifoul?
It will be trailered to water and hauled out in the same day...or so. Then live in a warehouse.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

No to bilge paint on the outside, no UV protection. If you're keeping the boat in the water, then either Petit Hydrocoat or Hydrocoat Eco bottom coat or one of their others. For the topside you will need EZ-Prime primer and then Ez Poxy topside paint to which you can add EZ Poxy performance enhancer to increase longevity, hardness and gloss. If you are keeping the boat on a trailer then definaly add the hardener to the paint you use on the bottom. They also have a non-skid, Tuff Coat.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

TomW1 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:39 pm No to bilge paint on the outside, no UV protection. If you're keeping the boat in the water, then either Petit Hydrocoat or Hydrocoat Eco bottom coat or one of their others. For the topside you will need EZ-Prime primer and then Ez Poxy topside paint to which you can add EZ Poxy performance enhancer to increase longevity, hardness and gloss. If you are keeping the boat on a trailer then definaly add the hardener to the paint you use on the bottom. They also have a non-skid, Tuff Coat.

Tom
Thanks Tom. I was wondering about the bilge paint, UV additives, and I used the enhancer on my bilge paint and it seems to be very hard, it is almost as hard to sand as neat epoxy! That is the reason of asking.

The Hydrocoats only come in two colors I don't want or like. But Petit does sell, double the cost of top side, a flat white called Vivid antifouling bottom.

Just want to get the hull painted so I can flip it back over and finish the boat.
A. A. Milne

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Vivid looks good, take it up about 3" above the water line. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I'm using Vivid White....kinda a cream color from the copper, but you don't need antifouling for a trailered boat Ken.

See what CapeMan and AAngler and the others use.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:42 pm I'm using Vivid White....kinda a cream color from the copper, but you don't need antifouling for a trailered boat Ken.

See what CapeMan and AAngler and the others use.
Thanks Dan! That is what I have been thinking.
I want to use only one paint for the hull, if possible, and still on the fence if it even gets a water line. I am thinking a graphic line like on the motor. It is one of the reasons I am painting over the graphite bottom, I want the hull all white. If I can use the same topside paint, then that would be great.
Sanding the hull and sides has not been much fun in this heat, even with a big fan. I am wet sanding and sanding and sanding. Push the hull out in the sun and only takes a few minutes for any water on it to disappear, you can see it boiling off!
A. A. Milne

wpstarling
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wpstarling »

I just painted my 15ft skiff I built (not a Jacques design) and I used system 3 yacht primer (called pennant primer now i think) and then did Interlux brightside paint on top of that. 3 coats of each and I have to say it's shiny and the paint seems to be holding well. It had enough gloss that when I pulled it into the sun this weekend i had to put sunglasses on so keep that in mind for when it's on the water on one of those really sunny days!

I didn't paint over my graphite bottom but when I was putting the boat on my trailer I had to drag it across some of the topside paint and nothing scratched off so I'd think it would hold just fine if you painted over the graphite.

It also was super easy to apply botht he primer and topside paint. I roll and tipped the whole boat and it came out great, just remember thin coats. it dries better that way
Boats restored: 1973 Glastron CV16, 1990 Proline 17 CC, 1993 Bass Boat
Boats built: custom 15ft flat bottom skiff, Soon-to-be-built TX18 (originally dborecky's build)