NE FL FS18

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
STĀSalty
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: NE FL FS18

Post by STĀSalty »

One last question photo for today. Throwing a level on the bottom I am dead flat from the transom forward about 25” before the panels start to fall off port and starboard leaving a high center. Sound about right?
370F634F-4E7F-425D-A4F5-AE31847FE41F.jpeg

seaslug
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by seaslug »

Hey John. What you're describing is correct. The hull is dead flat at the transom, then a very slight V starts somewhere around 25 or 30 inches and increasing gradually going forward. Be sure and use the little pieces of pvc pipe while aligning and stitching together the bow, otherwise it will be very difficult to get it right. It may just be the photos, but the gap at the transom looks a bit excessive, and eighth inch is plenty. Also, from the photos it looks like the side panels and bottom panels don't come all the way back flush with the transom. Are you planning on filling the outside corners with thickened epoxy, then rounding over prior to glass? That will work. Good progress so far, good to see you well on your way. Mike

STĀSalty
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by STĀSalty »

Howdy, Mike. I hope you faired well during the storm. Never even lost power up here. Blessed.

The gap on the transom I have now is about 1/4”. I’ll tighten it up a bit. I have the side and bottom panels even with the last of the three layers of the transom. So the transom sits about a 1/4” proud of the panels. My thought was to fill that with goop and round over. It would be easy enough to slide them back if you think it best.
For the stitches, I am using pvc pipe with a drywall screw screwed into it to act as my spacer. Once I get closer to the bow I will get small pvc or use pencils as Reid suggested.

Side note. Little internet birdie told me you got your self a new hull to play with. I’ll be eagerly waiting to see what you do with it.
FFCC4F67-041B-44FF-A7FA-549E431B5709.jpeg

seaslug

Post by seaslug »

Everything looks good from here, now that you've told me your plan. We want gaps everywhere, but 1/8 is plenty, any more just uses more filler and as you know it isn't cheap. We didn't lose power either but had a huge pine tree come down across my property, taking half an oak tree with it as well as a section of fence and my compost bin. It missed my Seapro by about 2". Feel free to call any time if you've got questions. Build on. Mike

STĀSalty
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by STĀSalty »

seaslug wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:00 pm Everything looks good from here, now that you've told me your plan. We want gaps everywhere, but 1/8 is plenty, any more just uses more filler and as you know it isn't cheap. We didn't lose power either but had a huge pine tree come down across my property, taking half an oak tree with it as well as a section of fence and my compost bin. It missed my Seapro by about 2". Feel free to call any time if you've got questions. Build on. Mike
Build on it is! Thanks, Mike.
Glad to hear you didn’t have too much damage. A compost bin and a fence are a lot easier to fix/replace than your Seapro! 2”, yikes!!

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Nice looking work. 8) You’re definitely in good hands with Mike’s guidance. :D
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

STĀSalty
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by STĀSalty »

Thanks, Richard and thanks for your great FS18. Your Bare Bones thread is one of a few that I have been through, let’s say, more than few times. :D It’s hard to hide good craftsmanship. And having a guy with Mikes expertise and willingness to help is a huge advantage. I don’t get lucky very often but I sure did this time.

STĀSalty
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by STĀSalty »

Still have some fiddling around to make it like I want but it’s almost there.
EC447B06-900D-4047-AB5F-FDE089DED528.jpeg
F50322E3-3AEA-4162-98B5-29AB155F0F09.jpeg
6B2252D5-5FB9-4806-9E92-3563C4FB963A.jpeg

STĀSalty
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by STĀSalty »

FD9CABAE-4250-4B2E-81DC-7F00458CD31D.jpeg
414B50DF-BBB2-498B-9E7F-D4DEA3BB2A3B.jpeg
836F70D5-7E60-419E-AB73-B9D3E717DE82.jpeg

cape man

Post by cape man »

Makes me think of the movie Hell Raiser...
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman