Workboat vs Yacht Finish

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Workboat vs Yacht Finish

Post by BarraMan »

What is your bottom paint?
2 x International epoxy primer/2 x International Perfection undercoat/2 x International Perfection 2 pack polyurethane topcoat - undercoat and topcoat rolled and tipped.
When is there another barramundi video coming out?
:doh:
November/December2022 - with a bit of luck! :lol:

November 2021 trip abandoned due to Covid outbreak. :help: April 2022 trip yielded lots of Barra but nothing to talk about - only one of legal size! 8O High hopes for November 2022 - trip to the Northern Territory all organised. Boat ready. Crew chomping on the bit! 5 x video cameras ready! Darcy the drone ready.

I'll look in the archive and see if there is something interesting that I can post in the fishing thread for you! :lol:

Still.Eric
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Still.Eric »

Jaysen wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:30 pm Jut to argue with OQ…

You see and “live” on the inside. Most of the dirt and blood and stick will be in the inside. Finish the inside and use best paint you can stomach to make cleaning easy.

Outside hits crap. Docks, rocks, oysters, mud, sand, other boats, neighborhood reprobates… make that workboat since you will inevitably do touchups on the regular. Might as well accept that “shiney boats don’t get much use” is mostly true.

You also feel less bad smashing a workboat hull into a dock than a 300hr fairing and paint job.
I think this is the direction I’m headed, workboat exterior and something between workboat and yacht for the interior. Basically I want a boat I can use and not worry about but I also want to be proud to show it off.

wpstarling
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wpstarling »

I actually faired the outside of my boat more than the inside. I don't sit at the dock so the sides don't get too much punishment. The bottom of the boat had slightly better than workboat finish but then I put graphite over it. The exterior sides got the 'best' finish (still no where near yacht). The inside was just a tick above workboat. I figure with all of the boot/foot traffic inside plus fish slime and gear being thrown down and possibly dogs scratching around I wasn't putting in dozens of hours. Even with that it actually looks pretty good IMO. If I can remember I'll upload a pic
Boats restored: 1973 Glastron CV16, 1990 Proline 17 CC, 1993 Bass Boat
Boats built: custom 15ft flat bottom skiff, Soon-to-be-built TX18 (originally dborecky's build)

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Glass boats in NZ often have a polyester interior lining glued on with contact adhesive on sides and cabin roof.

https://www.burnsco.co.nz/interior-line ... ZZEALw_wcB

It's an option.

For the outside, while I'm not after yacht I want it good enough so people know I cared.

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

I aspire to reach the level of finish that makes people think I cared. LOL

Jbo

Still.Eric
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Still.Eric »

jbo_c wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:15 pm I aspire to reach the level of finish that makes people think I cared. LOL

Jbo
Hahahaha!

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I just put the first primer coat on the hull of my build. I when with the "take a picture of the hull right after rinsing with water" finish. Looks glass smooth.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Looks good. Hoping to get some runners on mine this weekend if the weather holds.

Jbo