Gel coat on a big boy toy.

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Gel coat on a big boy toy.

Post by Jaysen »

Factory spec is 3” min over entire bow. High speed boat. Talking about wear strips. I’m liking the consistent pay checks though.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

End of day…

Lost the needed working temp. Managed to build 5 coats of glass impregnated poly. Have the bow line nearly rebuilt. Maybe 2 more coats needed.

Ignore the green I haven’t removed from the gel… it will vanish magically in the next round of sanding.

Should be able to get final coats and gel built out to 0.2 before losing temp tomorrow (unless “real job” gets in the way). Fairing and polish likely to be Wednesday as Tuesday is run to Charleston for Mrs oncology.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

This is vicariously fun!
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Today was … less productive. No pics. Temps never really hit decent working minimums (need different product). Wound up under catalyzed on first batch of gel. Removed it. Second batch was super slow. Third batch kicked but feels brittle and it’s not really hard enough to sand yet. Tomorrow is already lost and Wednesday is horrid. Thursday should be warm and I’ve prepped the wet paper. If I can knock doe. The highs and get coats three and four on, I’ll finish sand and buff in the rain Friday. Granted if it rains Friday then I don’t need to finish since there won’t be fishing Saturday…

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Many four letter words have been uttered.

Bow profile was wtf (way the fork) off. After a few wtf conversations with the various personalities between my earlobes I went back and looked at the cure on my 3m glass putty. More than 1/8” will shrink over 24hr cure. Yep.

Removed gel.
Adding glass putty.
Hope to get 3-4 layers on before cool sets in.

5 layers was 1/4” with big 3/8” gouge in the flat spot. The flat is only about 3/64 but I’m calling it 1/8. Cold snot sets in Friday morning so I may attempt to rush the gel again. Or I may be smart and tent it with a heater.

Who am I kidding? I don’t do smart.

I’ll add a terrible pic for fuzz in a bit.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Here you go fuzzy

Yes, it’s 65f and I’m wearing a wool shirt and knit cap. I’m soft and don’t care.

The area above the yellow line is what shrunk. This is post sanding back the new gel. I’m up to layer 5 bit the temp is down and I doubt I’ll get hard enough cure for a sand of this last layer tonight. Supposed to be 70 tomorrow but gods AC is currently 52 so I’m expecting ambient will be 65. Sanding noonish and gel by 2? If not I’ll break out the heater and gel in the rain Friday.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Are filling the low spots with glass and resin or with a puddy?
About the temps,it is 28f here today. Dang heat wave in January :D

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

It’s a glass impregnated putty. 3m marine product requested by boat manufacturer. I’ve no problem using it. I just need to read the specs every time I use it.

Apparently I’m not smart enough to remember things if I don’t.

If it was 28 here I’d set my house on fire with me in it to stay warm.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Finally!

Got a break via some local guys who quit gel work. Styrene thinner, 1/2” nylon brushes, small batches. Sanded most of it back to glass.

1. Apply gel slightly under catalyzed, no thinner, bottom up.
2. Add a bit more catalyst and very small amount of styrene, apply bottom up feathering
3. Add more thinner, should still cover but real watery, pull diagonally up
4. A tad more styrene, should be a wash, smooth down.

Key is light hand. It builds fast, self levels and barely needs sanding (about 3 passes with 220grit block). Didn’t get photos today. Need to compound tomorrow and will get some then.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Jaysen wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:40 pm It’s a glass impregnated putty. 3m marine product requested by boat manufacturer. I’ve no problem using it. I just need to read the specs every time I use it.

Apparently I’m not smart enough to remember things if I don’t.

If it was 28 here I’d set my house on fire with me in it to stay warm.
Naw I seem to remember you did ok with some cool weather and a light breeze. Well as long as you had enough clothes on :lol:
Be interesting to see how your little project turned out.