Gel coat on a big boy toy.

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Gel coat on a big boy toy.

Post by Jaysen »

Learning is fun! Just wish it didn’t involve ripping the same 6” of gel off 8 or 30 times.

All done. It it is brown it is reflection from the trailer or ground. The green color is my coat. I’m happy with the finish and the quality of the work. The owner kept pointing at “defects” and I was “yeah, but the fair is up here”. So I’m taking that as good enough.

Anyone have tips to get the camera to focus on shiny gel. Seems dang near impossible. Keep focusing on the reflections or the background.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Jaysen wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:13 am The owner kept pointing at “defects” and I was “yeah, but the fair is up here”. So I’m taking that as good enough.
Yup, that sounds like you did a great job. :D
Hank

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

If the only flaws the owner is seeing is where you did not work I would say you did damn good! Careful you might end up with a full time job when the word gets out.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Shane always finds new ways to transfer $$ from his wallet to mine.

There used to be a rod holder here. Then someone put an 80lb LP on it and an 8ft carbon boom. Holder and ship parted ways mid 60mph run across the sound in 2 seas (85' water)(note: always leash rod/real to a cleat NOT the rod holder). Now there's 3/8" missing gel and 1/4" missing glass. AKA a deep, gaping hole. There are more pics I could upload but he had a charter so not much that is really educational or demonstrative of the process I've picked up via Fuzz's connections (that he doesn't know about) or trial and error. So here's some before and after

Before

Post clean up. The circled section... that's the core you are seeing there. I did call the manufacturer to get lamination schedule. Short answer: bit more sanding to open the space, long chop to get flat-ish, sections of 4oz woven over long, then rotating 6oz biax. Vinyl ester, no vac, over cat for fast kick, pressure from "fat guy leaning" on it to squeeze out.

And done. Straight white in 4 layers; 2x med cat directly over glass applied via putty knife with no thinner, 1x fast cat w/ 10% thinner applied via brush followed by EXTENSIVE sanding to 120gr, final layer slow cat at 40% thinner + Duratec 904-001 at 50% then sprayed over 15min to get final fill and blend.

The other end of the boat decided to lose the breaking edge at the chine. Hooray. How do we test Jaysen's patience without a computer? Multiple compound curves transitioning to hard edge in a critical area with no measurable points because THE OTHER SIDE IS ALSO FUBAR!

Total repair was 26.5". The breaking edge was removed all the way back to the aft move damage as all the gel was shattered. Minor glass damage was removed revaeling that the chine was NOT in the glass with the same detail and was mostly just gel (confirmed with builder when discussing rod holder tear out).

90% of this was done with straight white and sandpaper. I did add strand glass to the core after the builder and I talked a bit. I pointed out the damage on the other side and was all "this guy needs something stronger". Builder approved. Final shaping and sharpening was achieved with tape dams and sanding. I lost count of layers as this was multiple days of 8+hr. Because this was more structural there was more finesse used in the reagents.

Core shaping gel white was: 0.8% cat, no thinner, knife applied, no heat, no additives, limit sanding, dams used as needed
Final shaping gel white was: 1.2% cat, 30% thinner, spray application, no heat, no additives, 220gr sanding to get perfected shaping.
Final outer gel color close was: 2% cat, 40% thinner, spay application, no heat, Duratec 904-001 @ 50%, yellow dye to tint, 220-600gr sanding for finish

Went on charter the next day. Found the fish and thrilled the clients. Hit trailer loading boat due to a$$ hat waking the ramp. You have to love repeat customers.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Seems like you are getting lots or repair work in. I understand why looking at your work. you have become dang good at it.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Fuzz wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:17 pm Seems like you are getting lots or repair work in. I understand why looking at your work. you have become dang good at it.
If I am, it is partially your fault. "It's not harder than epoxy" and "In some ways it's easier than epoxy". My wife wants to have words with you.

Go check out he yellowfin I did. Shane isn't concerned about "pretty" but that yellowfin needed pretty. I think you'll approve.