1984 Grady White Overnighter 20 - Transom Rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: 1984 Grady White Overnighter 20 - Transom Rebuild

Post by fallguy1000 »

After seeing the Chainsaw pic, I started to think maybe FP was going to cut a hole in the bottom of the boat to get the tank to drop.

Pretty sure I'm gonna have some nightmares about removing a tank from below now.

I googled for some pics of boats with holes in the bottom; found none.

My friend and I makes jokes about keeping some midget girls onboard for these types of issues, but I now have made friends with a really friendly, very short person who is a boat surveyor in Barbados. Super guy. But even our fantasy midget helpers for hard to reach boat screws ain't gonna help with those.

What works nice, after tank is out is a carbide cutter on oscillating tool. And pretty error proof tool for boat n housework. $20 at Harbor Freight and another $20 for carbide cutters on Nozama.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

FlounderPounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by FlounderPounder »

Uh oh!! You mean I wasn’t supposed to cut it out the bottom??

Good news, I got the 2x4s out with an oscillating tool. And was able to get the small pieces left over out as well. Just have to grind the screws off coming from the other side of the stringers.

More good news, I may possibly be able to get the tank out without have to cut too much of the deck…I’m VERY close to getting it now. I think if I just shave off a little more of the lip, I’ll be able to squeeze it out.

As for the transom…with me redoing the splashwell, I modified my cut location slightly. I wanted some input before I actually cut it out. Please see the pic and let me know what you think??
Attachments
8CF14190-047B-4F51-B5B7-DD31E01E6B6E.jpeg
AA0161A7-EA4E-4FA1-BB14-4424ED73F422.jpeg

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

If it were me I would get the tank out so I could check out the stringers. Depending on what you find could change the whole scope of your project.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

After seeing the Chainsaw pic, I started to think maybe FP was going to cut a hole in the bottom of the boat to get the tank to drop.

Pretty sure I'm gonna have some nightmares about removing a tank from below now.

I googled for some pics of boats with holes in the bottom; found none.

My friend and I makes jokes about keeping some midget girls onboard for these types of issues, but I now have made friends with a really friendly, very short person who is a boat surveyor in Barbados. Super guy. But even our fantasy midget helpers for hard to reach boat screws ain't gonna help with those.

What works nice, after tank is out is a carbide cutter on oscillating tool. And pretty error proof tool for boat n housework. $20 at Harbor Freight and another $20 for carbide cutters on Nozama.

The forum won't purge my last entry.

I'd try lifting the tank to see if you can cut the short sides which is way less repair.

As for the cut line, I'd still cut less versus more up on the sides. I'd also cut out the hatch gutters as solid units if you decide to keep any. Gutters are hard to fab.

FlounderPounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Fuzz; I do plan on getting the tank completely out before I cut open the back.

Fallguy; When you say, “cut less up the sides” do you mean the back portion, essentially where the “seat backs” would be? I planned on cutting it there because that’s the height I plan on making the splashwell and figured it would be easier to fab with it cut there. Do you disagree?? You guys are the experts…so I’m definitely inclined to go with your advice. As for lifting the tank, I can lift the front side of it to about 20-30 degrees up right now. It’s 100% free…just the hole is slightly too small. I should be able to get it completely out the next time I get a chance to work on it…not sure when that will be. Gotta a lot of other stuff coming up that’s going to slow me down a little..

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Your marks are fine, do keep in mind whereever you mark; in order to tab back to it; you generally need a taper of 12:1. So, for 1/4" glass thickness, the grind back is 3". You can drop to 2" with epoxy.

Always focus on the repair, cutting is super ez.

I do like the splashwell going up and probably going in as well as long as you have clearances.

You'll know more once you start getting into it as to how much to cut for access. The top timber on the upper edges is probably good material and fully bonded; so might be hard to chisel out without going even higher than 2-3" away..

FlounderPounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

It’s been a while since I’ve posted any updates. I was able to get the gas tank out without having to cut the boat at all…so that’s 100% removed and the new one is in process of being built (2” shorter so it fits easier going back in)

The old transom is 100% removed…just have to do a little “cleanup” work.

So, all and all, everything is moving along smoothly. Although, anyone have any suggestions on how to not wanna rip my arms off from fiberglass splinters?? Maybe a full body painters suit? I have a respirator and goggles, so my face and lungs aren’t an issue…just my arms are itchy to all hell!!! I’d take living in the attic over this shit!! Haha

The old transom was completely rotten and came out with ease!! Really don’t know how the hell the engine didn’t come off last year??

The stringers seem to be in decent shape. I have to cut them back further. I only cut them back about 3-4 inches so far. The wood is wet, but not rotten. They seem strong, so I’m hoping they are dry a few inches further back!! But we will see…
Attachments
8741E9EA-E211-4725-98AA-BD7C1FE3F20B.jpeg
F92DB7A0-E451-4B71-9D4A-CCFFC8481271.jpeg
4DD0D1D0-BE91-42D8-899A-82EFD83E2F80.jpeg
7F67C0FD-ECD1-4151-A135-09E103BB3019.jpeg
C0DE75EC-0CE5-4384-BA1C-412067EFB7F7.jpeg
9DCFD0A8-796A-481C-9992-254DF8A5B4EE.jpeg

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

You don't have to be a believer, but you can be really glad you didn't hammer that boat in big seas.

FlounderPounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Ok, now that I have everything exposed, and all the wood removed…what “prep work” needs to be done to epoxy the wood to the fiberglass?? I know I can’t do the glass yet because of the temperature, but I want to have everything as ready as possible.

If I remember correctly from others I’ve read, I need to sand/grind the glass with 80 grit. I assume I have to “clean up” the entire transom glass with the 80 grit. Is that correct? Sorry for the dumb questions…first time doing any of this and prefer to do it right the first time.

Also, I’m going to make a cardboard template of the transom to use to cut the wood, when ready. How much of a gap do I leave around the edges to fill in with the putty? About 1/2”?? More? Less?

Thanks again for the input guys!! Based on the progress I’ve made thus far, I hope to have the boat ready to hit the water by late May…maybe early June at the latest (weather cooperating)

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

FlounderPounder wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:36 pm Ok, now that I have everything exposed, and all the wood removed…what “prep work” needs to be done to epoxy the wood to the fiberglass??

If I remember correctly from others I’ve read, I need to sand/grind the glass with 80 grit. I assume I have to “clean up” the entire transom glass with the 80 grit. Is that correct? Sorry for the dumb questions…first time doing any of this and prefer to do it right the first time.

Also, I’m going to make a cardboard template of the transom to use to cut the wood, when ready. How much of a gap do I leave around the edges to fill in with the putty? About 1/2”?? More? Less?
I don't know if you've read the tutorial here on transom replacement, but if not, here's the link:
https://boatbuildercentral.com/support- ... how-to.pdf

A quick scan didn't come up with the answer to your question on what grit to sand the glass with to prep for the next step, though.
Hank