1984 Grady White Overnighter 20 - Transom Rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
FlounderPounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: 1984 Grady White Overnighter 20 - Transom Rebuild

Post by FlounderPounder »

Jaysen;

Wow!! Ok, do you happen to live anywhere in the NJ area? I might just pay someone to do the gelcoat for me. That sounds like a hell of a lot of work. Or maybe it just reads to be a lot more than it actually is?? Anyway, I may price out someone doing that for me and if it’s less than 2Xs the cost of the materials and guns, then I’ll probably let someone who knows what they are doing take care if that part.

Everything I’ve done so far has been “the first time” and I’ve learned a ton, but just like you said, time is money…and if it takes me too much time, it’s worth it to just pay someone else who can do it quicker and easier

I guess I’ll make that decision in a few weeks or a month…

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

It sounds a lot harder than it is. Start small and slow. Once you figure it out everyone will be your friend (even when you don’t want them to be your friend). Quality gel work is getting hard to find. Down in south Florida companies are starting to move hull production to other states just to find workers.

If you want to figure out how it all works for cheap look at the Preval sprayers. I use them all the time. Basically throwaway “make your own spraycan” that can spray gel. They work for paint as well.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

FlounderPounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Jaysen wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:52 pm It sounds a lot harder than it is. Start small and slow. Once you figure it out everyone will be your friend (even when you don’t want them to be your friend). Quality gel work is getting hard to find. Down in south Florida companies are starting to move hull production to other states just to find workers.

If you want to figure out how it all works for cheap look at the Preval sprayers. I use them all the time. Basically throwaway “make your own spraycan” that can spray gel. They work for paint as well.
I know you said you’d never use a roller again. But for what I’m doing…would it be simpler to roll it on opposed to spraying it? I assume it won’t turn out as nice looking, but as long as it’s doing its job protecting and doesn’t look like sh*t, I’m fine with that. Or is it actually more work to use a roller?

Just trying to look at all possible options. At least with the roller, I don’t have to deal with all the tedious fun cleaning between coats and numerous guns to get it done.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

You’ll have to sand more. Especially the edges between new and old. Roller will build a lot more than spraying and reduces your ability to co trip where it goes. Keep that in mind.

1. Shortest nap covers you can find.
2. Do NOT use foam
3. Reduce MKEP by 2-3 drops per 10 to increase pot tiime and allow more leveling time.
4. Reduce styrene add to leave gel consistency of latex paint
5. Go. Slow. On. The. Roll.
6. Do not stack wet/wet or wet/partial cure. Wait for sand-able cure to address edges and leveling between coats.

Almost as bad as paint but the time to sand is much shorter.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

FlounderPounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Jaysen wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:40 pm You’ll have to sand more. Especially the edges between new and old. Roller will build a lot more than spraying and reduces your ability to co trip where it goes. Keep that in mind.

1. Shortest nap covers you can find.
2. Do NOT use foam
3. Reduce MKEP by 2-3 drops per 10 to increase pot tiime and allow more leveling time.
4. Reduce styrene add to leave gel consistency of latex paint
5. Go. Slow. On. The. Roll.
6. Do not stack wet/wet or wet/partial cure. Wait for sand-able cure to address edges and leveling between coats.

Almost as bad as paint but the time to sand is much shorter.

Thanks for the tips. I think I’ll probably go that route. More cute time and sanding is fine because I have a bunch of stuff I still have to do other places on the boat, so can do that stuff while waiting for cure.

That just seems more manageable to me. I have ALWAYS been terrible with any type of spray. I tend to overspray and end up with runs…but anytime I “paint” stuff the traditional way, it usually turns out quite well.

FlounderPounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Need some opinions;

I’ll be placing another order from BBC in the next day or two. I need quite a bit more 17oz glass, gel coat (plus additives) and a few other things.

My question; I currently have 3 gallons of epoxy left (3 gallons total of resin and hardener). Do you guys think that will be enough to do all the glass work I still have left? I’m thinking of getting another 1 1/2 gallon kit to bring it up to 4 1/2 gallons total.

Remaining “glass” work; All inside layers of glass on transom, glassing the stringers back in, “building and glassing a new splashwell, then glassing all “reused” parts back together.

I don’t have much experience…my best guess is that 3 gallons is going to be pretty damn close to exact amount, but I’d rather have too much and just save the leftover than end up 1/2 gallon short.

Thoughts??

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Estimate the weight of the glass.

Say it is 50 pounds, you need about 115% of glass weight in epoxy. Or for the 50 pound example, you'd need 57.5/9.1 or jist over 6 gallons of epoxy.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

FlounderPounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Ok, and for the weight of the glass…is it 17oz per foot? So it would be 3lb3oz per yard? Is that right?

Thanks Fallguy!!

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

FlounderPounder wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:41 am Ok, and for the weight of the glass…is it 17oz per foot? So it would be 3lb3oz per yard? Is that right?

Thanks Fallguy!!
No

17 oz is per square yard or for 3'x3'
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

FlounderPounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Ok, thanks!! Really appreciate the help!