1984 Grady White Overnighter 20 - Transom Rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: 1984 Grady White Overnighter 20 - Transom Rebuild

Post by fallguy1000 »

Well, I don't see stress cracks there, but that is a bit meaningless because they probably glassed it 1/2" thick or more at the corner.

The rot may be confined to the engine area, but you cannot insert a small piece of ply as I believe you understand.

I, personally, would change things. I would build up a much higher splashwell bulkhead and take it all the way around.

You were very smart to ground this vessel and may have saved your own life and others. But that metalwork should have never been accepted as a fix either, to be clear.

That corner can be done differently, but tilt the motor up and determine what you need for clearances both sides and forward in the up position before you pull the engine.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

What happened here is this...

The GW folks built the shit out of the stress riser area which created weakness in the middle of the transom. You will find some different thicknesses at the top edges at the red arrow vs the middle of the transom front. This means all the flex in this design happens at the engine mounts.

You can defeat this design flaw one or both of two ways.

One is easier than the other.

1. You can cut away the cap and redesign the transom to avoid the stress concentration which puts all the strain at the engine.

2. You can gusset the transom into the splashwell or to the hull
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

FlounderPounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by FlounderPounder »

I purchased this boat less than a year ago…I knew it had issues, but came at a good price and had tremendous sentimental value to me as it’s almost identical to the boat my late father owned for years.

Those two thick aluminum sheets sandwiching the transom were there when I bought the boat. To be perfectly honest, I didn’t know much of anything when I bought the boat and was told that the aluminum was to “strengthen” the transom…which I guess is true, but he left out the fact that he put that there because he knew the transom was on its way out. I put that on me for not doing more research prior to purchasing the boat. But I just don’t want you to think “I” did that as a “quick fix”. I’m a bit OCD, and need things done right!! Which kinda worries me, because I want this to be done by June, maybe July at the latest…but I know how I am, so the boat “might” be taking the whole season off if my OCD gets to me too badly…

The only thing I really knew when I bought this was it was cheap, was going to need a decent amount of work, and reminded me of my dad soooooo much that I almost HAD TO buy it.

So, 8 months later…I want to get this boat done right to the point where I won’t have to worry about it for years and years to come. So I’m basically redoing what’s badly wrong with it this winter/spring….then plan to do more “detail” work next year.

I know A LOT of people may think I’m crazy for putting this much work/money into a 40 year old boat…but I “feel” my dad standing next to me when I’m on this boat, so for that reason, I have to do this!! And I plan on keeping this boat for many years and think it will last once what needs to be done is done…

So, for this winter/spring…things that HAVE TO be done;
1: Change the fuel tank; current one is original and has minor leaks…on the bottom. I have the fuel hatch off and the top half looks to be in great condition but it is 39 years old, so I’m replacing it now while the deck will be cut open as Grady made the tank 1/2” longer than the hatch. I plan to have the new tank made 1” shorter in case I ever have to take it out in the future, it will fit out the hatch at that point. Found a local guy that has all the specs on the original tank and I can give him custom dimensions and connection locations to my liking for a decent price.
2: Redo the transom; Obviously the current one is shot and as you mentioned, it could have cost me my life along with my 7 year old as it was only the two of us that 3-5 foot day in the Ocean when it partially “let go”. I’ve done a decent amount of research on the transom and have had numerous people tell me to just cut the back open and replace it from there. THANKFULLY, I found this sight before I cut the back open. I want this done right, and I know that it has to be done from the inside to do it right…so that’s what I’m doing. And, with the fuel tank needing to be replaced, it kills 2 birds with 1 stone.
3: Repower-Not “Necessary” now, but I couldn’t pass up the 2013 150HP ETec I found with about 450 hours on it. Plus, the 1989 Evinrude VRO I currently have smokes like CRAZY!! I’m pretty sure the VRO pump is just dumping oil in as I went through 2 gallons of oil over the course of about 50 gallons of fuel…so it’s mixing at about 100:1 and it’s not adjustable. The smell of the smoke makes my wife sick, not that the ETec won’t smoke as it is a 2 stroke, but it shouldn’t be anything like the current one. So, once the transom is done, I’ll be putting that motor on instead of the current one. So, actually killing 3 birds with 1 stone.

Those are the 3 things I have to get done. And after talking with you…I really like your idea of building up the splashwell and I do plan on doing that while I’m doing the transom. Assuming I have the ability/skill to do it. But that’s why I’m here. I’m very handy and extremely mechanically inclined, so I have faith in myself to get this done.

I looked at it a little closer today, and with the current motor on (which seems to be a bit wider than the replacement), there’s a decent amount of room I can use to bring the sides in a little. Can probably go about 4-5” in on both sides and still have plenty of clearance for the motor to go stop to stop while it’s down and up.

The more I write about this, the more eager I am to get started!! Unfortunately, I have to wait on my buddy to come by with a hoist to get the motor off. We plan on doing it Saturday, I just hope he doesn’t let me down…because I’m really starting to look forward to cutting into her.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

moot point, but you said: "I went through 2 gallons of oil over the course of about 50 gallons of fuel…so it’s mixing at about 100:1 and it’s not adjustable."

50:2 would be 25 to 1, that = lots of smoke!
Hank

FlounderPounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Ah, thanks for the correction. Not sure how it did the math backwards…but yes, it smokes like crazy!!

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Owning a boat rarely makes sense but one that reminds you of your father is as good of a reason there is. For some reason those Gradies seem prone to rotting out the transom but after you get it fixed right it will be something you can be proud of. You have a lot of work ahead of you but it will be worth it in the end.

FlounderPounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Thanks Fuzz!! I’m glad it makes sense to more people than just me. And I know I have a lot of work ahead of me!! Hopefully I can get it all done in time for the summer season, or at least the second half. But I rather lose the season, do it right, and be confident in the boat instead of rushing just to get it back in the water!!

And oddly enough, I’m actually looking forward to all the work!! I really enjoy doing things like this…especially when I’m learning something new in the process.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Might sound funny but I hope the transom is totally rotten. It will make getting the old wood much easier. And if not just chip away at and it will come out.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Make sure you read Plywood Transom Replacement just above her. While it won't be specific to your GW it will have some great information for you.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

FlounderPounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Plywood Transom Replacement: How To;

You’re referring to this article, correct?? (See pic)
If so, I’ve read through that a few times, and plan to follow along with that once I get her opened up…thanks for the tip!!
Attachments
2C431930-DC16-4726-B1B8-8969253A0B88.png