1984 Grady White Overnighter 20 - Transom Rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
FlounderPounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: 1984 Grady White Overnighter 20 - Transom Rebuild

Post by FlounderPounder »

Quick question for you guys about something available on the BBC website;

Peel Ply; What exactly is it used for? Is it something I need, or something that would make my job easier…for the splashwell particularly?

There’s no description on the website about it, but from what I read…if I understood it correctly, it’s for the “top layer” of glass. I know I don’t need it for the transom, but for redoing the splashwell, would it help me get a smoother finish? And when you use it, do you lay it over the last layer, while wet, smooth it out, then leave it there?? Or do you remove it once the resin has cured?

Since a good portion of the splashwell is going to be done by me, and not just old pieces patched back together, I’m worried about getting the finished product decent looking. If it’s not 100% perfect, it won’t bother me, but if it looks like complete shit…it will bug the hell out of me. And just wonder if the “peel ply” is something that can help with that?

Any input would be appreciated. If I’m misunderstanding what it’s used for and it doesn’t apply to my job, then I’ll obviously not get any. But if it will help attain a smoother finish…a brief description of how to use it would be greatly helpful!! Biggest question I have is whether you leave it there permanently or you remove it after the epoxy has hardened.

Thanks…

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

I'm no expert on peel ply, but the last question is the easiest- you peel it off! I think one thing it's good for is intermediate layers, when you remove the peel ply you can put down the next layer of glass without having to sand. I'd qualify that to say you still need to stay within the cure window for bonding. I'm not so sure it will help you achieve a fair surface, I don't think it's meant for that.
Hank

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Peel ply is placed on epoxied glass to make a sort of fabric finish. It releases from overnite cure.

I like to use it in hand laminating over outside corners when the glass won't lay down. Sometimes it will help..

I used it extensively in my vac work. Much to the chagrin of a few, I even used it on the bottom of the stack. I did so to avoid the vacuum bridging the triax and pulling all the epoxy out of the long glass grooves. And, of course, also used on top. It is not really any better than grinding with 40 grit; in fact, I still grind it if another layer is going over it.

A big problem can occur if you try to use peelply near gelation because the stuff will stick to the surface like a flies wing in honey and you cannot move it.

About the only use of it is if you want to reduce infill of fairing compounds over biax. It is also handy if you have blush worries, because you remove blush with it, ftmp.

It is more or less a requirement for vac work..not hand laminating.

Let's say you are doing a hand layup of 6 layers of glass, 3 at a time, you could use peelply to keep the substrate a little better for the next 3.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

FlounderPounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Thanks guys…seems like it’s something I really don’t need then.

FlounderPounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Jeff wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:38 pm FlounderPounder, Yes. I think 4-5 days is correct for shipping (UPS) to New Jersey. You can also just place your order and tell us you don't want it shipped until a specific date. The UPS system does a really good job of estimating ship times. We just checked and UPS estimates 4-5 days. Off course that is if there is no crazy weather!! Jeff

Jeff; I just placed my order and put in the “notes” section to have it “ship out” on Wednesday the 22nd. I assume your guys will notice the note, but if there’s any doubt, if you don’t mind…just please make sure it doesn’t ship before then. I won’t be home and I won’t hear the end of it from my wife if she has to lug in 100 pounds of boxes…THANKS!!!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Got it!! Made the change (harder) and fully understand shipping on Wednesday, February 22. Please give us a call as we have a question for you regarding the 1708 cloth!!! Talk soon, Jeff

FlounderPounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Jeff; at some point down the line, I’m going to need another order of quick fair and some paint (At that point I’ll ask for some suggestions as to which paint to use). On that note, do you guys sell any color pigment? When I was reading through the forum from the Grady transom replacement that you guys made a tutorial out of…I saw the guy added white pigment to his last coat of epoxy inside the bilge. I think I may do the same…so let me know if you guys sell color pigment. If not, any suggestions of where a good place to get some?

Thanks!!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

FlounderPounder, Yes, we sell color pigment for our MarinEpoxy. Just let us know when you are ready and we will get it out to you or just order from the website!!! Let us know!! Jeff

FlounderPounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Hey guys, quick question…I re-cored my fuel hatch today…well, just glued in the wood so far (did 1/8” on the glass and 1/8” on the wood…after I coated the wood with neat epoxy about an hour before the glue. The glue is just resin, hardener, and wood flour to a ketchup/mayo consistency…correct?? Hopefully, because that’s what I used, lol. How long do I need to wait until I can glass over it? I used fast hardener for the glue. Temperature when I did it was around 55, but it’s supposed to drop to mid 30s tonight. Will it be good to glass over tomorrow?? Or should I wait an extra day because the temps are so low at night? It’s out in the shed, so very little protection from the cold. I have it flat on the ground with numerous batteries holding pressure on it.

I figured I’d try this before trying the transom as this is easier to “re-do” and a much smaller working area…just to get the hang of it.

Thanks for any input…

cape man

Post by cape man »

I'd glass as soon as it's hard enough to not sag or shift when moved. Wet on wet.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman