1984 Grady White Overnighter 20 - Transom Rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
FlounderPounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: 1984 Grady White Overnighter 20 - Transom Rebuild

Post by FlounderPounder »

“Please consider buying from Jeff. The reason I support the forum is I was an amateur once.”

Is “Jeff” the BBC website? If so, that’s where I am getting all the materials from except for the lumber (shipping costs are way too high). I’m going to be placing an order in the next few days. Hopefully I can get everything I need in one shipment, as the shipping costs are higher than I expected…but the prices for materials are quite good…so it only makes sense to get my supplies from BBC…plus the support I received from here…it’s the least I can do to return the favor!

Thank you so much for the detail of the quantities and materials I need!! It’s greatly appreciated!! Thanks to everyone who’s contributed to this thread…there’s no way I’d be able to do this without your guys help!! Fallguy in particular, you have been extremely helpful…if you’re ever in the “Jersey Shore” area…I owe you a drink or a fishing trip, or something!!

I’ll continue to post pics of my progress and most likely asks for some more input along the way as I hit any snags. Once the transom is done, I’m sure I’m gonna need some input if building the splashwell and putting back some of the “reused” pieces.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

FlounderPounder, Yes, Boat Builder Central is Jeff!! I very much appreciate your business!! Jeff

FlounderPounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Jeff wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:02 pm FlounderPounder, Yes, Boat Builder Central is Jeff!! I very much appreciate your business!! Jeff

Of course!! I very much appreciate all the help I received from this site!!

Jeff, quick question for you. I travel a lot for work and would like to place my order at a time when it will arrive while I’m home. I live in NJ, if I was to place an order, I’m guessing it would take 3-5 business days to arrive from the day I place it? Is that about correct?? Ideally, I would like my order to arrive this month, anytime between the 25th and the 1st of March…so I imagine if I place the order next Wednesday (Feb 22nd), it should arrive inside that window?

Thanks!!

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I think you will have a problem getting a full size sheet of plywood in place as things are now. You might want to make a full size pattern out of something cheap and see how it goes. The pattern will come in handy for cutting the marine plywood and glass also. If you have to cut the plywood I would think about using 1/2 inch and three layers so you can stagger the cuts a little more.
For materials I would get 5lbs of wood flour, its cheap and handy. For glass 1708 is the best bang for your buck...........but it is a real pain to work with and wet out unless you have used it a bunch. For that reason alone I would use 1700 for your transom work. And for the stringers also when you get to it. If you are trying to get everything in one order you will need to get more than you think as there is nothing worse than needing another 1/2 gallon of resin or 1/2 yard of glass.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

FlounderPounder, Yes. I think 4-5 days is correct for shipping (UPS) to New Jersey. You can also just place your order and tell us you don't want it shipped until a specific date. The UPS system does a really good job of estimating ship times. We just checked and UPS estimates 4-5 days. Off course that is if there is no crazy weather!! Jeff

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I think you will have a problem getting a full size sheet of plywood in place as things are now. You might want to make a full size pattern out of something cheap and see how it goes. The pattern will come in handy for cutting the marine plywood and glass also. If you have to cut the plywood I would think about using 1/2 inch and three layers so you can stagger the cuts a little more.
For materials I would get 5lbs of wood flour, its cheap and handy. For glass 1708 is the best bang for your buck...........but it is a real pain to work with and wet out unless you have used it a bunch. For that reason alone I would use 1700 for your transom work. And for the stringers also when you get to it. If you are trying to get everything in one order you will need to get more than you think as there is nothing worse than needing another 1/2 gallon of resin or 1/2 yard of glass.

Call BBC and talk to them about your needs and order. They go way out of their way to help. Plus they have been amazing
with getting things shipped at the best price possible.

FlounderPounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Jeff; thanks for checking that. I’m still working on my “cart” to try to get at least 90% of what I need…once I get it finalized, if it’s before Wednesday, I’ll place the order and add a comment to ship out on the 22nd. Thanks for the tip on that!!

Fuzz; thanks for the tip!! This is my first “real” experience with glass work other than surfboard repairs 10-15 years ago. I was going to go with the 1708, but also have some 17oz and 12oz in the cart. The glass is a lot cheaper than the epoxy, and I’m sure I can find use for the leftovers. As for getting more than I think I need…I do plan to do that. And 5 LBs of wood flour is what I have in my cart now, so that’s good. If I happen to run a little short, I can always just get a little more of this or that locally…just wanted to make sure I make my bulk purchase from here since you guys have been so great with everything!!

FlounderPounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Fuzz wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:59 pm I think you will have a problem getting a full size sheet of plywood in place as things are now. You might want to make a full size pattern out of something cheap and see how it goes. The pattern will come in handy for cutting the marine plywood and glass also. If you have to cut the plywood I would think about using 1/2 inch and three layers so you can stagger the cuts a little more.

I do think you’re right. And I do plan on making a cardboard template…possible a plywood template with a cheap piece of bulk ply from HD or something like that. As for the core, I am going with three 1/2” sheets. I couldn’t get 3/4” marine ply locally, so I got 1/2” ply instead. Which, if I have to cut them in half, will actually work out better, as you mentioned…

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

When you piece the plywood, make sure seams are well staggered and avoid placing any seams in the mounting bolt locations as that would be an opportunity for cracking the transom.

Also, vertical seams are typically not made directly on perpendicular members like the knees. Contrary to intuition, seams should be in open areas

Your transom does need to be well tabbed to stringers or for and aft bulkheads for the well. Again, depends on power, but for 150 and under, minimum of 3 layers of 1708 which is 75 ounces. 6-6-4 or 6-4-4 staggered. Same tabbing for any bulkheads to the hull.

For more power, it should be specified or I would double.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

The only "rule of thumb" I have ever heard of for transom thickness is one inch per 100hp. Of course at some point that becomes overkill but I have no idea where that happens. I know I used 2 inches plus glass for 200hp on a skiff and it is plenty.