1984 Grady White Overnighter 20 - Transom Rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: 1984 Grady White Overnighter 20 - Transom Rebuild

Post by fallguy1000 »

Cut
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Make sure you are wearing all your safety gear before cutting!

8O
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

FlounderPounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by FlounderPounder »

I’m pretty sure this is obvious, but just wanna double check before I “cut” anything. When you say “cut” you are referring to the 2x4s, correct? I can only assume that’s what you mean because it seems quite insane to cut the entire deck to get the tank out.

So, cut the 2x4s, then when I go to put everything back together, I can probably just use longer screws and go in on a more extreme angle to screw the new 2x4s in. As far as the “new” 2x4s go…should I coat them in epoxy or glass them at all? Are regular 2x4s ok? Or get marine grade 2x4s? Sorry for the dumb questions…I rather ask first and do it right than have to redo it because I didn’t ask…

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Like the guys said cut the 2xs so you can get the tank out. Once the tank is out you will have lots more working room when it it time to deal with the cut offs.

FlounderPounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Gotcha, thanks!!

I just wanted to make sure they weren’t telling me to cut the deck. I figured they meant the 2x4s, but just wanted to make sure.

I don’t know what Grady was thinking when they made that boat?? They put that big ass hatch over the tank, but make it 1/2-1” too small to actually get the tank out of it?!?!

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

FlounderPounder wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:26 pm I don’t know what Grady was thinking when they made that boat?? They put that big ass hatch over the tank, but make it 1/2-1” too small to actually get the tank out of it?!?!
Work on enough boats and you will see this is all too common. At this point I am surprised when I don't find stuff like that. It is not just boats, I just spent 4 hours swapping out two batteries in my Ram truck. I swear they spent months thinking of ways to turn a simple task into a nightmare :help:

FlounderPounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Can’t agree more!! I was a car mechanic for several years in my late teens, early twenties…I’ll never forget the STARTER I had to change that required dropping the entire K Frame to get enough clearance to fit it out. What should be a :30-1:00 job ended up taking 4-5 hours. Because, of course you have to spend 2-3 hours trying to squeeze it out a hole you know damn well it will never fit before you finally give up and do it the “easy” way…lol

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

If you are handy with a saw you can buy 4"X4" fir posts and cut your own 2"X4" and coat with epoxy when going back together. You can also re-design the access panel to be easier to access the new tank.

EDIT: Fir is better for the marine environment (water resistance) than treated lumber or just pine boards.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

FlounderPounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

No chance in hell I would be able to cut a straight line over a 8 foot distance…or even 4 foot on a board that’s only 3 1/2” wide. Although…I’m pretty sure my table saw goes high enough for 3 1/2”, in which case it wouldn’t be too hard to just push the 4x4 across the table saw…

You guys can ignore this, unless you notice anything I might be missing as far as lumber goes… it’s just for my reference later…I tend to lose lists, so I rather have it stored online..

Lumber to buy;
1 piece - 4”x4”x8’ marine fir (fuel tank)
2 pieces - 4’x8’x3/4” (18mm) marine fir ply (transom)
2 pieces - 4’x8’x1/2” (12mm) marine fir ply (splashwell)

FlounderPounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

And as for redesigning the access hatch; I’m not going to mess with that at all. I’m going to have the company making the fuel tank make it an inch or two smaller on at least one side, possibly two sides. That way if I ever have to remove it again for any reason, it will actually fit out the hatch..