Estimate glue batch usage

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Estimate glue batch usage

Post by jbo_c »

How do you estimate glue usage for mixing when attaching runners, rails and the like?

Hope to be attaching some things this weekend and as much as possible would like not to end up short(at all) but simultaneously not end up with way too much either. Don’t have a ton to glue yet, so don’t really have a good use if I end up with a couple of (measures) of extra glue. Usually I would have a little side something that needs the “extra” mixed epoxy, but at the current point, I don’t.

Too little might be worse than too much as I’ll be worried about the first batch starting to kick while I mix a batch to make up the shortfall and there’s not a great way to glue down one end of a rail but save the other for later(I don’t think).

Is that a clear question/dilemma?

Jbo

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Estimate glue batch usage

Post by jbo_c »

For example: I’ll be attaching 3 each 2”x14’ rails. Specifically trying to figure out how much glue I need for each.

I realize there’s a huge wag factor in there and I can adjust subsequent batches after the first, but would really like not to be WAY off on the first one.

Jbo

CNYBoater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CNYBoater »

Usually, when I am mixing epoxy, I use this big thing of orzo I keep for the sole purpose of pouring into my void, pouring out, then measuring the volume I need in a mixing cup + 10%. Can't really do that on a glue up though. Haven't done it myself, but is it possible to guesstimate how much you'd need to say... 1"x"1 dollop and mix that up. spread it on a test board, measure how much that actually yielded and then multiply by the total square inches you'd need to glue? add a small waste/I guessed factor to a 1 rail quantity and see how far you over shot. Waste on 1 rail will be less then guessing the waste on 3 at once.

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

LOL. Love the orzo idea. That’s great ingenuity!!!

No intention of trying to do all three at once. I’ll figure some way to make a good guess how much for the first one and adjust. Hopefully I’m not too far off.

Wonder if my wife will miss those boxes of orzo . . .

Jbo

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Additional mix ups don't take but a minute if they are pre measured in two cups: one resin and one hardener. Dump the resin in, stir a minute and go.

Dougster

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

I do all small parts in 2:1 epoxy in 3 oz batches.

Only when flat laminating panels do I go larger.

A big part I may double it, but another way I look at it is volume.

1/8" vee trowell is a 1/16" net thickness. So, for a part 12"x12", you need 144/16 cubic inches or say 9 cubic inches. This is about 4.5 volume ounces or about half a 3 ounce batch.

All said, I never measured.

You could start off with a half batch of 1 ounce resin and 1/2oz hardener or by weights and see how it goes, but only if it is 90+F; otherwise, a dollar of waste epoxy is part of the job now and then.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495