Cold climate epoxy users please HELP!

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Cold climate epoxy users please HELP!

Post by TomW1 »

cape man's instructions are good advice. Start with the acetone and clean up with the white vinegar Feel for you guy. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Yes, lots and lots of white vinegar and acetone and a good scraper.....ask me how I know...
Obviously this is not your fault since the supplier messed up. You should ask when they're coming over to help wipe it all off :D
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

For reasons like this mislabeling or other manufacturing defects I suggest mixing a very small test batch of epoxy and making sure it kicks in the expected timeframe. I had a batch of slow cure gel magic that was labeled as normal and while it cured eventually it wasn't behaving as expected. I've done a small test batch with each product ever since then.

I might demand a refund instead of replacement if this supplier hasn't been good to work with, but they will all limit their liability to the cost of the product, not any costs you incurred beyond that. Hope you can save the wood.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

I do not like using heat much, but might be needed.

If biax glass; remember to pull both layers! Ask me how I know!

I was pretty sure it was a mix or stir error, but sux they gave you an error. Terrible.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WouldWork »

I had a bad batch when making my CC14 canoe - I smelled like white vinegar for weeks.

I also remember a bad batch on my V12 sailing dinghy rudder…. It’s horrible stuff to clean, but that’s why we love it, it STAYS ON!!! :lol:

I’ve just reversed the ratio as a test and made a batch of 1:2 instead of 2:1 - it’s getting hot in the measuring cup and I think it’s setting.

I’ll mull on this for a day or so and wait for further follow up from the supplier.

I won’t share the brand name just yet as I want to see if they’re going to assist before trashing their name over the internet.

I’ll keep y’all in the loop.

Thanks again for all the responses - really appreciate it.

Cam.
Completed:
CC14 Canoe
V12 Sailing Dinghy
In Progress:
D5 dinghy

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Really sux for you and I hope it comes off with not too much work, but that might be just a dream.
Nice thing about Marine epoxy and System Three is the resin is sort of clear and the hardner is enough darker to tell them apart just by color.

cape man

Post by cape man »

1 part medium hardener mixed with two parts of slow hardener will not get hard when wetting out the glass for the sole on an OD18! You can get through it...
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WouldWork »

Final update,

Looks like it's confirmed that the labels were on the wrong bottles. My test batch with ratios reversed has set without issue.

The resin came in 6 x 1L bottles, 4 of them part A and 2 of them part B, so aside from the initial part A and B bottles that I used I don't know which of the others have the same problem. The bottles are all the same shape, size colour and odour so I can't tell if they're correctly or incorrectly labelled and hence cannot continue with this resin.

The supplier offered to send me 6 more litres assuring that they will be labelled correctly however I'm unaware if I can trust this so I've instead asked for a refund and they have apologised and obliged.

I suggested to them in future that they make their Part A's and B's come in different shaped/coloured bottles, they said they'll take that on board.

No luck getting new ply as expected. I'm going to shelve the boat for now unfortunately and come back at it once I know I can get my old favourite epoxy again.

Thanks

Cam.
Completed:
CC14 Canoe
V12 Sailing Dinghy
In Progress:
D5 dinghy