Rb-12 Pictures Please

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Rb-12 Pictures Please

Post by TomW1 »

I agree Jeff, I do not recall one being built. Several RB14's and a RB16 or 18 I believe. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

Runabout wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:25 pm but it has no kit available and building from plans alone are out of my skill level for now anyway.
Respectfully I would challenge this lack of confidence. Measuring and cutting out plywood is a small part of the scope of building a boat, and is one of the more rewarding parts. Anyone that can complete the remaining 90+% of the work can do the first 10%, in my opinion.

The perceived quality of the boat when completed is more related to the finishing and painting than to cutting a shape out within 1/8"

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Totally agree with Matt. I did it myself, with no skills to start with. If you can build the boat from the kit, you can surely cut the panels. I learned how to use a circular saw in saw in the first hour, cutting my panels. Drawing them out first is a pleasant job.

Dougster

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Lots of people seem to own battery powered saws these days, and most have smaller blades. You don't need a small saw, but a smaller diameter blade will make it easier to cut curves. Set the depth to barely cut through the ply, doing the work on top of cheap sheets of foam. Make a few practice cuts in cheap ply. Stop and look over all the lines before you start cutting and see that all the lines make fair curves where they should. It's not hard to do, and you won't have to say you built the boat from a kit!
Hank

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

If you can lay out the lines onto the plywood you can cut the boat out. Get the smallest circular saw you can probably 4" or use a good jig saw. Use carbide tipped blades for longevity. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

My unpopular opinion is that the CNC kit, when available is nice. Trading time for money is something we all do. If you have the money it’s a worthwhile thing.

But if the cnc kit isn’t available, anyone with a modicum of patience can make the cuts. It isn’t rocket science and accuracy isn’t as important and spacing the panels prior to glue/glass.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Runabout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Runabout »

I was just asking for pictures 😂
I give you guys props for building from plans. But for my 1st boat I really want a precision cut cnc kit also stitch and glue to get my hands dirty but also have a hull shape in a reasonable amount of time plus a forum for help, so here I am. I did build a couple surfboards when I was younger, plenty of sanding fiberglass/epoxy.

Have you seen the Glen l squirt/zip? Similar to the rb12 but it takes most of those guys years to build a 10ft boat. It’s not stitch and glue but all the zip kit boats are nice and take less than a year. While the boats from plans are hit or miss and take years. Even w/ a kit boat I won’t feel confident in purchasing the design until I’ve seen nice boats built from them.

I did manage to find a couple pics of rb12 boats but I don’t understand why some have that front hull line down the middle and others are smooth? Same with the rb14, the rb14 on the ad doesn’t have it?

Rb12 with hull line- https://community.boatbuildercentral.co ... play_media
Last edited by Runabout on Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Runabout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Runabout »

This rb12 doesn’t appear to have it?

viewtopic.php?p=248170&hilit=Rb12+pic#p248170

Runabout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Runabout »

It appears much lower on this rb16 (I like the open cockpit on it) but the painted line should have followed the body line imo

https://boats-from-usa.com/sites/defaul ... 359172.jpg

Runabout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Runabout »

Can the rb14/ rb12 cnc kit be ordered with a smooth front nose like this rb14?

https://www.boatbuildercentral.com/wp-c ... AG0228.jpg