Rb-12 Pictures Please

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Runaboutszzzx

Rb-12 Pictures Please

Post by Runaboutszzzx »

I really want to build my own boat. Specifically a small wooden runabout capable of being quick with a 10hp motor.This would be my first boat build and I would like to build from a pre cut kit with instructions. The rb12 cnc kit seems to fit that bill. But I have never seen a completed rb-12 before! I even emailed Jacques a year ago asking for pics but he didn’t have any to send me. If there are any builders who can share their experience building the rb-12? How it performs? Pics? I would really appreciate it.

jtdums
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Rb-12 Pictures Please

Post by jtdums »

I can't help with the RB12 pictures, but I can speak to our RB14 experience.
We use a 25hp on the rb14 and likely could have gotten away with the 20hp. The Rb12 and rb14 are so similar in hull shape, design, and weight, that you might find you want a little more motor than the 10hp if you want it to be "quick".
Do you already own the 10hp? If so I understand your desire, but otherwise I might suggest looking into something a bit bigger.
Furthermore, the 14' length has worked great for us and the cost differential of building the 14 vs. the 12 is likely negligible. A little longer might benefit you a lot if you have the shop room. IMHO.

Here is a link to our build thread and there are some completed pictures at the end.
RB14 build

Good luck. Great design that we have gotten years of enjoyment out of thus far.
Sanding is cathartic...

Runabout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Runabout »

Hi, I posted this topic, my account is now active.
Thanks for the reply, I have actually seen your boat pics before, well done! (I’ve wanted to build a runabout for years now and I often google wood runabouts/kits)

I’m actually considering 2 different boat kits for different purposes…

I really like the size of the rb12, it looks very similar to the squirt designed by Glen L. which performs as well as it looks but it has no kit available and building from plans alone are out of my skill level for now anyway. But there are hundreds of squirt builds posted online. I know that a boat can look very different in reality compared to the boat plans as I have been searching for a kit. If I’m going to do this it takes a lot of my time, money, and effort and without seeing at least one completed rb12 I don’t feel confident in the design.
I would like to use the rb12 as my first real boat on the lakes in the summer and for fishing in the winter. I think a 20hp sounds good for the rb12.

I’m also considering the flat skiff 12 or the fast skiff 12
to use with a 10hp motor, it’s only 20pounds heavier than a 5hp so I think it would be fine on a flat skiff? The reason is my parents own a cabin I have access to and all the nearby lakes have a 10hp limit.
I saw this article
https://smallboatsmonthly.com/article-tags/runabout/

Where a guy bought an aluminum 12ft flat skiff and put a wood cover and steering wheel on it. Looks amazing to me and I think I could build it from the 12foot skiff kit, just lower the seats?

Any thoughts? Rb12 pics would be appreciated.

Runabout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Runabout »

Just to clarify, for the article link I posted/referenced, the boat I’m referring to is near the bottom of the page, can’t miss it w/ the ugly before pic of the aluminum mirror craft built by Patrick Macqueen.

jtdums
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jtdums »

I love the link from small boats. Keep scrolling down, you will get to our RB14...ha.
Now I understand your desire for the 10hp. If it is lake restricted it suddenly makes more sense. Its designer says the rb12 will plane with one on board with a 10hp and he is the expert. I imagine you will need to be careful to build her light if this is the case. First time builders tend to build heavy as they learn to use the epoxy efficiently.

I don't think the Flat skiff is designed for planning. Over powering her would be a mistake because you might just end up with a dud.

However, the Fast Skiff FS12 is a planning hull and the 10hp requirement would put you in the middle of the power requirements for that hull. These are small boats and need to be loaded lightly to obtain good performance, but I don't see any reason the FS12 would be a good choice. As a bonus, the FS hulls go together quickly and are designed for new builders I'm pretty sure. It would get you on the water quickly.
Sanding is cathartic...

Runabout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Runabout »

Thanks for the reply. Your boat is on there too lol! The fast skiff12 looks like a good boat to start. I wonder if it would still perform well sitting on the right side w/ remote steering and a dashboard/top deck…

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Runabout wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:44 pm Thanks for the reply. Your boat is on there too lol! The fast skiff12 looks like a good boat to start. I wonder if it would still perform well sitting on the right side w/ remote steering and a dashboard/top deck…
As long as you have an equal amount of weight as yours on the port/left side, no problems. These small boats need to be balanced to perform well. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Runabout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Runabout »

It is pretty small. It would be more practical with the open set up as well. Not to mention cheaper with a tiller. I saw a flat skiff 12 built that had all the interior/exterior wood stained cherry, with a painted red bottom. Looked really nice.

Runabout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Runabout »

Are there no pics of a built rb12????
This is the boat I’m most interested in…

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

I don't think so. In the last seven years, I am confident that a RB12 has not been built!! Sorry, Jeff