Reverse chines

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Reverse chines

Post by TomW1 »

OneWayTraffic wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:38 am Wear strips: Mine is only 3mm thick, but that was an easy to get size. Screws to hold then glue and filled screw holes later. If retrofitting I'd look into holding it in place with VHB tape or straps until the glue sets. I don't plan to beach my boat much if at all, but trailer rash is a possibility.

Reverse chines: Mine are filled in dams at the chine with UHMWPE glued to the outside of them. I don't see a downside and like the look. Technically, I suppose they will make the boat harder riding but they would need to be massive for that to be an issue.
OQ this is an offshore boat with a 250HP or so motor. I have never seen anyone put wear strips on an on an offshore boat. I don't think he will be doing much beaching of it as it has a draft of over 8", probably anchor offshore. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

TomW1 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:26 pm
OneWayTraffic wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:38 am Wear strips: Mine is only 3mm thick, but that was an easy to get size. Screws to hold then glue and filled screw holes later. If retrofitting I'd look into holding it in place with VHB tape or straps until the glue sets. I don't plan to beach my boat much if at all, but trailer rash is a possibility.

Reverse chines: Mine are filled in dams at the chine with UHMWPE glued to the outside of them. I don't see a downside and like the look. Technically, I suppose they will make the boat harder riding but they would need to be massive for that to be an issue.
OQ this is an offshore boat with a 250HP or so motor. I have never seen anyone put wear strips on an on an offshore boat. I don't think he will be doing much beaching of it as it has a draft of over 8", probably anchor offshore. Tom

This is the question the OP asked. But I didn't think an offshore boat with 250HP would be considered a smaller boat with low HP. Nor did I mention putting wear strips on anything. I did mention a detachable skeg that can easily be removed and replaced if it was added to a smaller low hp boat.
fishgitr wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:48 pm Do you get the full benefits of reverse chines on smaller boats, low HP?
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

There's been a bit of back and forth so things have got confused.

There was some talk about reverse chines on a small boat. Then a little derail onto wear strips (also a good idea on a small boat or one that is trailered regularly.) Some people with bigger boats have chimed in as well.