Pamet FS14

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Pamet FS14

Post by cape man »

Use the syringe and push the gel magic in with a putty knife until it starts coming out the other side.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

PametBW
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PametBW »

It has been almost a year, with some medical bumps along the way, since I have made a post or any progress but I am hoping to do some work on the boat and get it turned over before winter.
At this point, it is fair to say that I am struggling a little with the project and hoping for some advice and guidance. At this point I feel like kind of a parasite in this community but I hope to become healthy enough and knowledgeable enough to be a contributor in the future. Thanks.

The next steps that I hope to make include:
cut the rubrails
give the hull a good sanding
fair the using Three Systems "Quik Fair"
sand that layer
apply a layer of primer
install the skeg

QuikFair:
As I have never built a boat before, I have never used QuikFair before. I am imagining that it is similar to spreading bondo over coarse bodywork. My objective is to keep it thin and put down a couple of coats. To my mind the goal of this step is to make the hull smooth so friction with the water is reduced. I have not been able to find any videos of folks using QuickFair and am hoping that someone will recommend a resource that I can use before mixing and spreading.
ANY RECOMMENDATIONS OF RESOURCES?
SKEG:
The only information that I see about the skeg is that it is 1"x1"x 96, ends 12" forward of the transom, and is tapered at the front.
It seems that my choices are to rip some pine to use for the skeg or to build it from plywood. There are some scraps from the rubrail that I could glue into a 1x1x96 inch skeg, which is probably more durable. Either way, I am not sure how to install it. Left to my own devices, I would attach it with epoxy and hold it down with a weighted board (I can't think of a way to clamp it). I will try to do this in the next few days and am hoping that someone can guide me in the process.
WHAT SHALL I USE FOR THE SKEG?
HOW DO YOU RECOMMEND THAT I ATTACH IT?

This is what I see when I go out to the shop...
IMG_0156.JPG
IMG_0157.JPG
IMG_0158.JPG
IMG_0159.JPG

Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Buz »

I can only help with the last part. I've only put on one skeg myself, this is what I'd do.

If the boat has a straight run for the last 9 feet you can glue on the 96x1x1 skeg in one piece, using weight for clamping. But dont use so much weight you squeeze out too much resin-glue and starve the joint.

If the skeg reaches forward far enough to get onto the bent part of the bottom, I'd build it up with the ply, gluing and "clamping" one layer at a time to follow the contour.
You only need patience if you'd rather be doing something else.
Push the envelope. Watch it bend.
FB-11 Jean Bille in 2017, rebuilt '23

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I used a couple of straps around the boat to hold the skeg on. Regarding quickfair. Mix up 3 Tbs (2 resin, 1 hardener) and spead it on the boat. Let it dry and and it mostly off (5 miutes trouble). You'll now have a feeling for how it works.

Dougster

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

I recently used QF for the first time and posted my experiences in the “Resins, fiberglass, and paint” section.

Jbo