Any good resources on winterization?

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Any good resources on winterization?

Post by narfi »

Our new to us boat is almost here. We plan to pull it out for the season at the end of the month and prepare it for winter.

Being as this is all new to us, are there any good resources listing all we should do and be aware of for the process?

There are no facilities here, we are doing it all ourselves, including the haulout with our trailer that should be here by then.

1. Engines, fresh oil changes and antifreeze in the cooling systems
2. Generator, fresh oil change and antifreeze in cooling systems
3. Batteries, removed and stored indoors.
4. All water tanks, drained and some RV antifreeze
5. Heads, sinks, showers, plumbing etc.... Drained and filled with RV antifreeze
6. Black tanks, drained, flushed and some RV antifreeze
7. Bilges cleaned and some RV antifreeze
8. What's the thought on wrapping for the winter? Advantages and disadvantages? Worth it?
9. Sails and trampolines stored away
10. Hatches covered and sealed to prevent any leaking.
11. Water maker, will look up manufacturers recommendations.
12. Air conditioners? What do you do with them? Flush out water and fill with RV antifreeze?

Anything on that list wrong or should be done differently?

Would be great if there was a good resource out there someone could recommend for cold weather storage.

Thanks!!!

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Any good resources on winterization?

Post by fallguy1000 »

I plan to wrap part of my boat. Mostly over the in sole hatches that have their own gutters because I am worried about them having an ice event.

If you have any drains in hatches, either antifreeze them or blow them out.

I'm not sure about the mast foot, but I would walk around and look for any places ice can form easily and wreck shit and wrap.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

You did not mention fuel tanks, add over winterizing liquids to the fuel tank and fill them full to prevent condensation. Fog the motors to protect the rings and cylinders and other inside parts of the motors. I do not remember if you have diesel or gas motors pn Odyssey but there are different additives for each fuel and motor type. One excellent group of additives is made by Starbrite and nomally the manufacturer of the motors has their line they want you to use. If you have the operating instructions for the engines, it should have the winterizing instructions in them. One last thing, on the batteries do not store on a concrete floor, buy a very good battery charger and keep them on a trickle charge so they are ready for you in the spring. This will also make them last longer.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I like to pull the end caps on the heat exchangers. That makes sure they are drained and it lets you get a good look at them.