Battery placement

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Battery placement

Post by TomW1 »

Barry, the Merc 250HP Verado will come in at about 615lbs for a 30" shaft. A SeaPro 250HP at around 540lbs for a 30" shaft. I have all this stuff so I can look it up quick. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Barry_CF
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Barry_CF »

Tom, good to know.

I see weights of around 635 listed for the older Verado's in the 250-300hp range. That's about 100 more than the numbers I see for the 2 cycles which is the main reason I was looking to go 2 cycle. I'm not going with a new motor for sure. I'm considering motors in the 6k to 12k range, used. It's possible I find an Evinrude at a decent price on the low end of that and take a chance. There's one on ebay at the moment, 2006 at 250hp for <7k, 600 hours or so. I saw a 300hp Yamaha 2 stroke early 2000's that sold for under 7k a couple weeks ago. Both motors under 1000 hours and look nice, reported to be excellent. Never know though. But it will probably be a while before I purchase a motor :)

Thanks again!

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Why are you stuck on 2st's the new 4st's are more fuel efficient require less oil and are much quieter. A used one should not be much more than a 2st. But when you find either one, I would buy it I would buy it most motors are not staying on the market long due to the long lag to get a new one which is 5-6 months and the price increase they have gone through. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Having been spending way to much time swearing at the motors you are listing, I would strongly advise to look for newer motors. I’d also suggest that “motored with a black cowling made by a company owned by bayliner” either need to spend most of their time wide open or require lots of fiddly maintenance. Even the hyped up line that starts with a V. Several boats I’m associated with are “sponsored” so use these motors. All of them have cold spares in the shed so we can just swap them and fix the busted one off the boat.

If you need solid motor that is good on the wallet, consider Suzuki. They seem to frustratingly reliable for the shops that are certified. They are competitive on weight and perform a bit better than Yamaha but a tad under the aforementioned “M”. I’ve been pricing a “M” refit to Zuke 250 and seems like it will be a bit over $12k all in.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

TomW1, there are performant advantages to a 2smoke. Two biggest ones are
1. Low end toque is much higher.
2. Lighter weight to HP ratio.

I’m with you though on mess and noise. Hard to beat a 4 stroke for a pleasant trip.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Jaysen wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:12 pm TomW1, there are performant advantages to a 2smoke. Two biggest ones are
1. Low end toque is much higher.
2. Lighter weight to HP ratio.

I’m with you though on mess and noise. Hard to beat a 4 stroke for a pleasant trip.
Jaysen, I answered the weight issue above a 250HP Yamaha 4st and 250HP 2st Yamaha weigh almost the same at 550lbs. As far as low end torque the differences have been made almost negligible through gearing and prop selection. There are virtually seconds between them now and once on plane the the 4st power takes over.

Barry_CF
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Barry_CF »

Tom: "But when you find either one, I would buy it..."

It's clear there is a shortage of new and used. I remember looking for a used outboard several years ago and there were lots of them. It's going to be a while before I'm ready so I'll wait, hoping the market changes and the price comes down for used ones.

As far as being stuck on a 2cycle, I'm not. I'll consider a 4st if the price is decent and the weight is OK. I understand the difference between them but did not realize the weight of the 4st was so close to the 2, so I appreciate you pointing it out.
I don't expect to put a lot of hours on any motor, I'd guess under 150 per year, probably more like 100.

Jaysen, thanks for the info. I've looked but haven't seen any Suzuki's in the 250-300hp range for sale within my target motor budget of 12K or less. But I have time so I'll keep looking. For example, on ebay right now there is a 225hp, 2006 model currently at $6500, and maybe 225 is enough. But I think I'll be slightly underpowered at less than 250. There is also a 300hp, 2022 year for 24K currently. That's a bit more that I plan to spend :) Didn't Suzuki make one of the other name brands engines? I may have that wrong. And the one that starts with a "V" is not the one you suggest, I take it. Thanks for that information.

So, I guess Yamaha and Suzuki in the 4st is what you guys would recommend? Anything else?
Also, any sources for used outboards I should be looking at other than ebay?