House renovation

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
seaslug
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

House renovation

Post by seaslug »

A little project I took on starting in September 2019 after a divorce and the sale of my beach house. At the time I was searching for a house I could afford, in a location central to most of my work, and close to family. Problem was, there were zero homes that fit my meager budget other than this bulldozer special. I drove by this shack for months wondering if there was anything salvageable, and then it was crunch time. My beach house sold in 2 days, so I needed to make a decision. First, I had 3 friends meet me at the house one morning, all experienced builders, to give me their honest opinions. We just walked around the outside checking it out for about 30 minutes, and the decision was unanimous; too far gone, needs to be knocked down. I got the answer I was expecting, but that didn't help me in my situation. I thought about it overnight, made my decision, and bought it the next morning. I figured, what the hell, it's wood and that's what I do. First thing I did was buy a little camper and park it next to the house, and that's where I lived for 7 months. I worked by myself 7 days a week, taking over 20 tons to the dump, jacking up the entire house with 20 ton jacks, and building from the dirt up. New beams and floor joists throughout, and boy was that fun working alone. After jacking up and getting the subfloor down I jacked up the saggy roof and framed all the interior walls. I've been a one man operation most of my carpentry career, but I did have a buddy help me hang 2 sheets of drywall on one ceiling that was in a spot too difficult to do alone. By the time I was finished I had replaced all the inside walls and all of the exterior walls, only leaving one interior wall that had the original Dutch lap because it was originally a screened in porch. Only thing I farmed out was the plumbing. I even wired my first house, and it hasn't burned down yet. I installed a 24,000 BTU mini split, that only gets used for cooling because the wood stove heats the house beautifully. The main living room has the original 1954 oak floor, the only thing salvageable in the house, and the rest of the floors are kiln dry pine from the Cracker Sawmill in Williston. My decks are kiln dried Cypress from the same mill. I also had a 24 x 36 metal garage installed, part of which is my shop. I'm posting a ton of pics, sorry, but I just love the way it turned out, and love my new location.
Attachments
IMG_5745.JPG
IMG_5751.JPG
IMG_5529.JPG
IMG_5425.JPG
IMG_5397 (1).JPG
IMG_5383 (1).JPG
IMG_5385 (1).JPG
IMG_5399 (1).JPG
IMG_5138 (1).JPG
IMG_5189 (1).JPG
IMG_5140 (1).JPG
IMG_5136 (1).JPG
IMG_5134 (1).JPG
IMG_5133 (1).JPG
IMG_5389 (1).JPG

seaslug

Re: House renovation

Post by seaslug »

Now some pics of the finished shack.
Attachments
IMG_0570.JPG
IMG_0796.JPG
IMG_0765.JPG
IMG_0767.JPG
IMG_0764.JPG
IMG_0730.JPG
IMG_0382.JPG
IMG_0295.JPG
IMG_0292.JPG
IMG_1179.JPG
IMG_1175.JPG
IMG_1170.JPG
IMG_1168.JPG

cape man

Post by cape man »

The wife watches This Old House all the time. They should have featured it! Your efforts, especially since you did it alone are inspirational. Wow! Looks very cozy and tight. With today's market I bet you saved a LOT! Not many men could do what you have done.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

seaslug

Post by seaslug »

Thanks Craig. It was definitely the toughest project I've taken on, but I had no other choice. Just had to grind it out every day for many months, but I had a plan and a vision when I started and couldn't be happier. When I had the entire inside stripped down to only a few walls I had a guy come and spray foam the entire underside of the roof. The ceilings you see are all false ceilings I framed below the actual roof, this gave me room for wiring, all the LED lights, and speakers. I used Rockwool in the walls instead of fiberglass batts; nicer to work with, higher R value, and no glass fibers in the flesh. The house is 1160 square feet, and due to how well it's insulated my electric bill averages around $45.00 per month. The bonus part is I'm now finally mortage free and can almost survive on my dinky Social Security check, only working part time now. Ain't it great getting old? I'm interested in your LM18 if you decide to sell.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

That looks great and I can't imagine doing it alone. Heck I can't imagine doing it with help!

Dougster

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

seaslug you did yourself proud and have a beautiful place to live for your future years. It is about the same size as we live in now since we have moved up stairs and no longer use our lower level. Plenty of room for two. :D Well enjoy the beautiful works of your labors and semi-retirement. I reached the big 70 last Saturday and feel everyday of them days. :lol: Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

An amazing job of saving that place. And a ton of Custom details. The mark a true craftsman did the work. But the best part s the utility bill. That will make you money every month. As far as the house size I think it is just about perfect. Any bigger is just more to pay for and take care of.

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

You did a great job and should be proud of both the finished product and your ability to overcome all the problems you faced on your own , it,s a dying art .

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Beautiful work SeaSlug!!! Really did great work!! Jeff

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

As far as you had to take the house apart before the rebuild it is hard for me to see any cost savings. I am sure I am missing something here but what drove you to rebuild rather than start all over? Not questioning your choice just trying to learn. No matter it sure did turn out nice.