C19 with a tiller...

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Toms
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: C19 with a tiller...

Post by Toms »

This boat will be used in both fresh and salt - but definitely more salt water. And the motor debate can go back and forth forever. If I buy a Merc and have 1 single issue with it - I will always know "I should have stuck with my gut and got that Yamaha". If I get the Yamaha and deal with torque, I'll wish I had gone with the Merc. I still have some time to research and some dealers to talk to before I make the decision. On the bright side - it's good to know I have some great options and shopping and learning about the motors will be fun! And frustrating! And stressful! And confusing! But mostly fun!

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I don’t think you can really go wrong IF you have a good service option near by. Every manufacturer will break at some point. Keep track of maintenance and warranty should you need it. No matter which motor you buy, if you start having significant issues early, request a replacement. Check with the shop and manufacturers on their policies.

I’m looking forward to seeing how this goes.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I agree Jaysen, it is so important to pick a motor that has a competent shop. There was an article a couple years back comparing reliability of the motors and there was very little difference among the major brands, they even had Evinrude in there and while it was last the percentages of difference were small. But Toms do whatever you feel is right for you and the boat you are building. I love the C19 she is a great boat and can handle offshore waters. With a tiller you will need to be careful with what you get into but keep us posted as your build proceeds. We love pictures. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Toms
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Toms »

Yep - in the end, it's a boat. I know stuff will break and need service beyond my mechanical abilities. Finding the best shop is key to having a good experience or being totally frustrated. I do plan to do some homework in that department... revisit some shops I worked with in the past and visit some new ones that I've not been to yet. I'll make my decision on motor and dealer from there.
I am in the process of getting my Mako sold and as soon as I complete that (next few weeks hopefully), I will likely order the kit. Will definitely post pics and questions along the way. The crew on this forum seem genuinely interested and "invested" in the success and safety of other builders projects. That's very cool to find these days!