FS18 OFFSHORE

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: FS18 OFFSHORE

Post by fallguy1000 »

You can use the engine for awhile. Eventually, you can upgrade to something bigger. If the engine is a 15" shaft then you ought to upgrade with the new boat because a short shaft engine is dangerous offshore. A few waves can break over the transom and take the boat out of commission. A properly built fs17 will not sink, but engines csn drown in broaching seas and leave you powerless which is plenty bad.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:01 am You can use the engine for awhile. Eventually, you can upgrade to something bigger. If the engine is a 15" shaft then you ought to upgrade with the new boat because a short shaft engine is dangerous offshore. A few waves can break over the transom and take the boat out of commission. A properly built fs17 will not sink, but engines csn drown in broaching seas and leave you powerless which is plenty bad.
While it's one factor, I'm not convinced the 5" difference between a short shaft and a long shaft makes the difference between a boat that is dangerous offshore and one that is not. You can always build for a long shaft and mount the short shaft on a jack plate or build for the short shaft and add 5" to the transom later. No need to get a new boat for 5" of transom in my opinion.

pedroe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by pedroe »

fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:01 am You can use the engine for awhile. Eventually, you can upgrade to something bigger. If the engine is a 15" shaft then you ought to upgrade with the new boat because a short shaft engine is dangerous offshore. A few waves can break over the transom and take the boat out of commission. A properly built fs17 will not sink, but engines csn drown in broaching seas and leave you powerless which is plenty bad.
My outboard is long shaft (20’).
Thanks!

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Sort of a mute point that he has a longshaft.

These threads can take on a life of their own in petty debate; not really my hope..

But cutting down a transom for a boat intended to be offshore is really not the best plan is all. The risk of drowning the engine is higher for each time the shaft is shorter and he said the inlets can be tricky which may mean breaking seas. Jackplating to minus 5 is pretty risky as well.

He clearly intends to fish and another problem for fishermen is anytime you need to back which happens now and then, typically for snags. This is another time short shafts are at greater risk. I can tell you backing into the seas under a short 15" transom totally sucks. It really looks like you can go under any second; worse in a chop/swell combination.

Didn't say you can't, just that it ain't best and especially silly to cutdown the transom.

I hope he builds the FS17. It will be a great boat for his plans. I have a Lund Predator 16' and I always look at the wind forecasts and always head to a place where I will have following seas coming back. Made a few friends mad telling them we are running for 30 minutes first when they say missing prime fishing time, but I always work the wind to the stern while returning.

I have also caught more fish trolling wind at my back than in my face(by a lot). I may be wrong, but I figure the fish are facing the current and can see the baits better than a bait coming over their back.

Anyhow, the thread has been fun.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

pedroe wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:34 am
My outboard is long shaft (20’).
Thanks!
Glad it's a 20". I was wondering about that but not sure what to say about it.

I do not think that a bigger motor is a necessity, unless you build it heavy or need to take a few people with you on a regular basis. Of course you could scale the boat down 5% or 10% (it has been done and handles well) but the decrease in weight would be matched by a decrease in what makes it capable offshore.

I would build it as designed, keep it simple and then if you do need to put a new motor on later, that is much easier than making the boat bigger at a later date.

I'd suggest that you make some elephant trunk scuppers for it and forgo a bilge pump. I've attached a picture. You can make your own by making a fibreglass tube (wrapping cloth around a suitable cylinder. Set it into the transom and hose clamp a tube on.) I am using packcraft fabric for mine, it can be heat sealed together. Or you could buy a tube from a place in the UK. They close up with water pressure when reversing or at rest. Going forwards they dump a lot of water in a hurry. In NZ they are found on surf lifesaving boats, which get swamped on a regular basis.

There's pictures on my build thread, though I've not finished it yet.

Please post a thread in the builder's threads section below. You will get a lot of useful feedback and advice.
Attachments
scuppers.jpg
scuppers.jpg (34.62 KiB) Viewed 479 times

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Lots of opinions here! 8O What's the expression, "Everybody has one"! :lol:

For the record, the o/board on my boat is a short shaft! 8O It goes off-shore quite happily - and safely! Never had an issue! :)

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

BarraMan wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:03 pm Lots of opinions here! 8O What's the expression, "Everybody has one"! :lol:

For the record, the o/board on my boat is a short shaft! 8O It goes off-shore quite happily - and safely! Never had an issue! :)
Okay, but not if you are worried about broaching waves..

And the inside of the well should be made full height for offshore. If you cut down the transom, but make the inside full height, it is a better plan than a low splashwell.

A lot depends on fishing style. Drifting or trolling and finding a snag and I end up backing and getting soaked now and then with a 20"..

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Just so we are all speaking the same it is my understanding
Short=15 inch
Long= 20 inch
X long= 25 inch
XX Long= 30 inch

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

BarraMan wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:03 pm Lots of opinions here! 8O What's the expression, "Everybody has one"! :lol:

Barraman I bet you have a 20" shaft and not a short shaft 15" shaft motor. :wink: Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

TomW1 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:22 am

Barraman I bet you have a 20" shaft and not a short shaft 15" shaft motor. :wink: Tom
Indeed, you are correct Tom - it’s 20”! 8O

However, with an 8”/setback and 6” lift available on the Jack plate it sits above where a 25” shaft motor would be if it’s was bolted directly to the transom! :D