FS18 OFFSHORE

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: FS18 OFFSHORE

Post by fallguy1000 »

:lol:
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

For what it is worth the W19 Yamaha “Panga” used in my part of the world is regularly powered by a 15HP Yamaha and they regularly go 15 miles or so off shore.
They move along at a decent clip when they need to - though most don’t because fuel is money.
I am not saying it’s the ideal choice, but I think a 20 HP motor would push a PG 20 at a decent speed - maybe not quite “planing” but I reckon you would get 10+ kts out of one. As they don’t have a significant planing hump I think that one might be surprised by what speed you could get.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

You may be able to make better time in a panga than with a pure planing hull, if the waves force you to slow down.
Hank

pedroe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by pedroe »

jacquesmm wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:50 pm Quick remark: the 450 kg weight listed for the PG20 should be named trailer weight, not hull weight. It includes everything with the boat on the trailer, engine too. The PG boats are light for their length.

Jacques, may I ask what is the PG20 hull weight?

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Just by going off the BOM I'd say a little under 300kg. The epoxy and glass are 100kg, no way to reduce from that. The wood alone would be 200kg if you use Meranti (12kg for 6mm, 17kg for 9mm 24kg for 12mm. I calculated average usage of plywood at about 75% of each sheet.)

Use a lighter wood and you could save some weight. I don't see any other way to reduce weight without using thinner plywood than designed.

Foam, battery, engine, seats, cooler, console and rigging would be extra.

I also am not aware of a single boat on here where the builder did not add weight by building in options or using more epoxy than designed. Twice as much epoxy would not be unusual.

Despite all that the boats still weigh less than a glass boat of similar size and features.

Palm Bay Chuck
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Palm Bay Chuck »

pedroe wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:58 am My conclusion are only two. The South Americans and Africans are drowning by the millions, or North Americans and Europeans are obsessed with safety and comfort.
I think the Panga design is from the was created by the World Bank to be economical to run and easily made from locally sourced materials. It's the kind of thing you build when you're more interested in helping feed your village than in staying warm and dry in rough weather. It serves a purpose. I love them and think I might build one next (after I finish my current build).

For your entertainment pleasure, this dude built a Panga from an old damaged hull of a larger boat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpnDb-6G9vE