Trawler 28 Build (TW28)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
MageDK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Trawler 28 Build (TW28) - Update 4

Post by MageDK »

Update 4 - 12/27/2022

I finished splicing the hull sections together and tried fitting them onto the hull jig, but they weren't lining up properly. It was really worrying me because I thought I had done something catastrophically wrong. Turns out that the bottom panels aren't meant to fit on the jig with the Keel molds on the frame. viewtopic.php?p=505953#p505953
I would up removing some of the keel molds to make the panels fit better. Then I notched out a small piece in the bottom panels to accommodate the keel frames that were left.

I needed a bit of help to move those panels around and take them up and down so I made a small cart and a crane that I use to move them around.
http://emildiego.com/boat-photos/cart-1.jpg
http://emildiego.com/boat-photos/lift-1.jpg
http://emildiego.com/boat-photos/lift-2.jpg

I added the kerfs to the forward 3 sections of the bottom panels. Spaced out 2 1/2 inches apart.

My goal in the next week is to mount the 2 bottom panels on the frame as well as the 2 side panels. If the weather cooperates, then maybe I will have time to finish the keel as well.
Check out my Trawler 28 build viewtopic.php?t=66261.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Trawler 28 Build (TW28)

Post by fallguy1000 »

You are getting some great help from an expert,

I keep acetone in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid during the entire project. For a project this size, get about 4 gallons of acetone. Pour a gallon or two into the 5 gallon bucket. Keep in 2" deep or so with temporary refills.

All rollers and trowels that get epoxy on them must be solvent rated and then they can go in the bucket after use. It is especially good for bubble buster or fin rollers.

One or two times, the rollers were forgotten overnite and takes a few days soak to loosen enough to tear down and clean. I used a dental pick to clean my fin rollers now and then. I also throw squeegees in the bucket. Take them out and dry before using as acetone is a solvent for uncured epoxy.

It also works well for paint roller frames when you get that far along. Keep in mind, I used 300+ gallons of epoxy. You won't use that much, but the method is a massive timesaver versus cleaning tools each day. Drop them in the bucket and clean them off with air or a wipe next day.

I developed epoxy dermatitus reactions from repeated skin contact due to degloving and touching my wrist and a pair of underwear got a spot of epoxy and gave me a really bad reaction that just happened on Nov 11, 2022. Do not allow any skin contact ever. I use thickster gloves which are about 50 cents a pair and I never reuse them. This was actually unbidgeted expense and I probably used about $700 in disposables during the project. (You won't need that many for a ply boat). But get good protection.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495