Trawler 28 Build (TW28)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
MageDK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Trawler 28 Build (TW28)

Post by MageDK »

I started building the trawler 28 last month and I am close to finishing the mold for the hull. I only have the transom and bow mold to make and should have them both done this week.

I am creating a photo gallery and will keep adding photos there as I progress.
I am going to try and post updates at least once or twice a month.
I am learning as I go, but if anyone has any questions about my build please let me know.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mpxAy5ZuYxFCiyyp6

Some issues so far.
1. I have noticed that not all of the frame's baselines are 100% level. Just 1-2 eights of an inch off from frame to frame. I check with a laser level every time I add a frame.
I have written down all the measurements and will recheck and adjust each frame once they have all been put up.

2. Not having a long enough ruler to mark and measure some of the lines needed in making the frames.
I bought a series of aluminum rulers. 6', 8', 10', 12'. This way no matter how long I need to measure or mark something I have a good straight edge fro that.

3. Making the camber curves for some of the molds. I didn't really have anything on hand for that so I got a long 2x4x12 that was perfectly straight and ripped a 1/8'' slice out of it. I attached some l brackets at the 3 points that I need. I use them to secure the wood to the board and mark the curves using that.
Check out my Trawler 28 build viewtopic.php?t=66261.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Trawler 28 Build (TW28)

Post by fallguy1000 »

Setup is the key. I like to use a laser level and mark the waterline equidistant from the centerline say 7" or firther if possible. Then drill 1/4" or 3/16" holes and ise that for lining up stations.

This really helped me more than straightedges which had a tendency to follow errors..

A good laser level is about $100-150 and the best tool I purchased for my build. I spent about the same on a 4' digital level; also a good tool.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

MageDK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Update 1

Post by MageDK »

Here's a quick update.

This week I have been focusing on double checking everything on the hull mold.
1. I used my laser level to make sure all the baseline and centerlines on each frame were properly lined up.
2. I also added extra bracing to all the frames and used my level to make sure they were all perpendicular.

I added some more pics to the photo gallery.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN ... dReG51TDl3

I received the wood, epoxy, fiberglass, and wood flour. In the next few weeks, I will start marking up and cutting the pieces or the hull.

EDIT: I did want to add one more note. Some of you may have noticed that the transom has not been added to the frame yet. I have it built in my garage and will be adding it later. I was thinking it would be easier to mold the 2 plywood pieces over the transom while it was on the garage floor versus doing it while it's attached to the frame. J
Last edited by MageDK on Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice progress!!! Jeff

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

You need to anchor the strongback into the ground a foot or so. Otherwise, over time it will sink and not be level..otherwise, looks good and maybe u did and I don't see well..
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

MageDK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MageDK »

fallguy1000 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:08 am You need to anchor the strongback into the ground a foot or so. Otherwise, over time it will sink and not be level..otherwise, looks good and maybe u did and I don't see well..
It's a little hard to see in the pictures because the grass has grown up around the base of the feet but the bricks are sitting on a few feet of compacted gravel. So it should be pretty stable.

MageDK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MageDK »

Jeff wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:50 am Nice progress!!! Jeff
thanks

jonlitts
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jonlitts »

Love it.

---
Jonathan

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz »

Strongback looks good. One suggestion. Reinforce Frame A and B as much as you can. This is where the plywood will take the most torture. Mine shifted after I brought the panels together at the bow and I didn't catch it. Over time the butt joint between the first two panels aft of the bow didn't break but bent slightly.

Keep up the good work.
Yours Aye! Rick
"It's not the boat "you built" until you've sworn at it, bled on it, sweated over it, cried beside it and then threatened to haul the POS outside and burn it!"

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Your shelter looks great for completing until you have to flip and start building the topsides and then you will need something higher. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978