No Excuse

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: No Excuse

Post by cape man »

It will be bitter cold (for here) and windy, but we're shooting for a Saturday relaunch in the lower part of the Alafia River which has some full speed zones. Yes there will be a test of which boat is faster. Larry blew past me in Boca Grande but I was running a 40 on Clara back then. No Excuse is lighter, has a 3 blade prop, and myth has it that a 2 stroke engine is faster. Clara doesn't have a T top (which could add a lot on a windy day) and a hydraulic jack plate that I can dial in for speed. It will be interesting and a little fun too!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

cape man wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:10 ammyth has it that a 2 stroke engine is faster.
I mean... technically they are. Mostly in the get-up-to-speed space (low rpm torque) and max RPM. If you have the same rev and torque limiters... doesn't matter.

With that cold, just make sure to warm them up longer than normal before laying into them.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Have fun Cape Man!!! Jeff M.

cape man

Post by cape man »

20221222_092635.jpg
20221222_092603.jpg
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice Cape Man!!! Jeff M.

cape man

Post by cape man »

We could have used another quart of EMC Quantum Key West White, but it is all sealed up.

cape man

Post by cape man »

So I'll start the betting...1/4 mile...Clara or No Excuse?

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Money on Clara.

Did the plugs make No Excuse run better?
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

cape man

Post by cape man »

Have not restarted her with new plugs or fuel coming from her tank. Fingers crossed.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Man, tough choice! Lower weight + Tee top or heavier without........

1/4 mile, I'll favor the light boat. I dont think the wind resistance will have time to play a role. In a longer race, in anything but a tail wind, Clara.

Can i do that? Bet both sides?

Looks great, in any case: fast, amazing work.

That winch looks spooky familiar, eh Jaysen?
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie