No Excuse

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: No Excuse

Post by cape man »

Going...
20221228_152626.jpg
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

That right there is a heart warming picture :!:

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Congratulations Cape Man!!!! Great achievement!!!!

cape man

Post by cape man »

There was a time of angst when we first tried to open her up with it bogging down. It was revving fine in neutral but would not run under a load. Ended up trimming it up until the prop broke free and then trimming it back down. It took two times for whatever was clogged to break free and off she went! We were hitting 25 mph and turning 5500 rpms with 4 men on board.

Spray rails...need spray rails...
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Choke stuck open maybe?
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

cape man

Post by cape man »

Who knows...the carbs were in horrible shape so could have been a number of things before them.

Start your engine regularly and if it is going to sit for months (or years!) disconnect the fuel while running and let the carbs run dry. Even with non-ethanol fuel it will gum up if it sits too long.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Nice, cven have some fishing rods on her. :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Warms my heart seeing her run again!
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

cape man wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:20 am There was a time of angst when we first tried to open her up with it bogging down. It was revving fine in neutral but would not run under a load. Ended up trimming it up until the prop broke free and then trimming it back down. It took two times for whatever was clogged to break free and off she went! We were hitting 25 mph and turning 5500 rpms with 4 men on board.

Spray rails...need spray rails...
I remember Larry writing that his only regret with No Excuse was not putting splash rails on her. Are you still happy with the ones you put on your dory? Will you do the same for this one?

cape man

Post by cape man »

I have some mahogany left over from Hermine (thanks again Richard!) and actually may make some "temporary " rails this weekend and just bolt them on for the trip next week. Yes, I'm happy with the ones I put on Clara. Amazing what 3/4 of an inch sticking out can do! Was a definite deja vu running yesterday with the water shooting up the sides. I copied Larry during my build and agreed with him the boat looked better without the spray rails, but after years of taking spray in a cross wind added them. Jacques put them in the plans for a reason!