No Excuse

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: No Excuse

Post by TomW1 »

She looks great Craig in her element. May you and your son have many good years with her. :D Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Great stuff Cape Man!!!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Anybody know why our flat bottom dories all seem to want to run around with their nose in the air?
Capemans dory is about the only one I have seen running pretty flat.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

It would be interesting to see where the LCG is “empty” and “running weight”. I bet his is further forward.

Then there is simple motor trim. One little grain of sand or tweak to zero can make a huge difference.

And then he actually spilled the real secret. 4 blade prop. Jack plate. And most importantly, he knows how to make that boat go! I think he’s just dialed it in perfectly.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

cape man

Post by cape man »

It's the hydraulic jack and the 4 blade prop that is dialed in. Fully trimmed down, I can fully raise the plate once up on plane and you can hear the prop starting to cavitate but it always has at least two blades holding. I pick up at east 2 mph quickly and there's very little of the motor in the water. Still pumps water.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man »

The guys took her out last weekend. The fishing was slow but the boat ran great and they had a blast!
35473.jpeg
35475.jpeg
Was reading an online article and this popped up...
Screenshot_20230310_200237_Chrome.jpg
Made me smile BIG! That picture was when Larry went to Looe Key.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I always feel like adds are huge windows into the psyche of readers… if your reading this you need…

To build a boat and get outside!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Well we may not be completely done... After their last outing we found a large patch of paint coming up just above the outlet for the bait well. It came off all the way to the wood. Pulled it off to where it started getting a little hard and stopped. Sanded everything lightly and coated it with neat epoxy, using a chip brush, shoving the epoxy into the edges, hoping to get some adhesion around the edges. Plan is to add Quick Fair and paint it red like the sawfish scar. Anyone asks and we'll say we are repainting her red, just a little at a time...
20230319_115638.jpg

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Dan, sorry to hear that. That corner was exposed to the sun most often. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978