No Excuse

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: No Excuse

Post by cape man »

I'll get a new water separator and fuel filter and add a fuel system cleaner to the first tank of gas. Hope the carbs aren't gummed, but we'll fix if needed. The steering rod is frozen...
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

cape man wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:07 am I'll get a new water separator and fuel filter and add a fuel system cleaner to the first tank of gas. Hope the carbs aren't gummed, but we'll fix if needed. The steering rod is frozen...

Gasoline turns to a gummy varnish as it ages and evaporates. Carbs with float bowls will gum up pretty easy and so will the jets, emulsion tubes. If there was something in the fuel, in the form of water (alcohol blend), then it can cause the corrosion you had at the pickup tube fittings. I would hope not, but I would expect the carbs will need attention. If easy to reach one of the carb float bowl drain plug maybe see if anything comes out. If it's still liquid, then you may get lucky. Also inspect the air inlet passages for more critter nests. Just my two cents.

With your love of sanding, I don't see the console getting the detailed sanding, you love so much, to get done properly without taking the gauges off. :?
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

cape man

Post by cape man »

I'm expecting some carb work will be needed, but one can dream... :roll:

The gauges and everything else on the console are staying as they are, so the finish will not be as good as possible. We are trying to fix everything that needs fixing, sand and seal everything that needs sealing with epoxy, primer, paint, and Kiwi Grip, and get this bad girl back on the water!

Met with my welder friend this morning and he's making the fuel pickup fitting out of aluminum as soon as he gets some 3/8" NPT fittings. My son and his friends are scheduled to start removing the hatches, taping and masking, and running the sanders tomorrow. We'll see how fast they work as a team. 8) 8)
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

cape man wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:16 am I'm expecting some carb work will be needed, but one can dream... :roll:
The gauges and everything else on the console are staying as they are, so the finish will not be as good as possible. We are trying to fix everything that needs fixing, sand and seal everything that needs sealing with epoxy, primer, paint, and Kiwi Grip, and get this bad girl back on the water!
Ok, maybe not to get it back in the water but can you live without doing it sometime down the road...and be honest! :lol:
cape man wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:16 am Met with my welder friend this morning and he's making the fuel pickup fitting out of aluminum as soon as he gets some 3/8" NPT fittings. My son and his friends are scheduled to start removing the hatches, taping and masking, and running the sanders tomorrow. We'll see how fast they work as a team. 8) 8)
Interesting to see what he comes up with and how well you can get it to seal. I had a pony keg on my sand rail many years ago, had to use JB Weld to seal where they threaded a fitting for the fuel line but held very well for many years.

Loving all the details you are explaining as you go along.

Guessing you already have a chair lined up with cup holder to supervise the sanding operations? :lol:
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

cape man

Post by cape man »

20221029_140749.jpg
They are not 3X faster than me, but most certainly 3X easier!!

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

With that sanding crew it should get done in no time. Just need the old master to keep them on point. :wink:

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

How is the graphite bottom doing?

Jbo

cape man

Post by cape man »

I haven't climbed under yet, but what I can see from the sides looks good.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Just caught up with this restoration thread. Well done Tom and Craig for coming to an arrangement whereby CL's masterpiece will live on. As recorded in this forum, CL ranked you both highly. I suspect looking down from boat builders' heaven, he's delighted. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

cape man

Post by cape man »

Fuel pickup fixed. 3" aluminum plate with a 3/8" npt female fitting welded in the middle. 6 holes around the edges, and a rubber washer between the fitting and the top of the tank. Drilled holes about half the diameter of #10 stainless screws and VERY CAREFULLY pulled it snug.

Pickup tube, nipple for hose, and rubber washer material cost less than $50 and the plate set me back a case of Busch beer!
20221106_140314.jpg
20221106_134001.jpg