Page 1 of 1

No Excuse

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:46 am
by cape man
So my son and I left Lithia Florida at 5 am Saturday and drove up to Tom's near Bryson City NC to pick up no excuse. We left Franklin NC where we stayed overnight at 4 am and made it home by 3 pm yesterday (that trip sucked!!!). No Excuse is now parked by my barn. The interior needs some TLC big time. Going to start with a pressure washer. Freezing and thawing on the top of the mountain has taken a toll on some of the glass, the paint and Kiwi grip are toast, but as Larry would say, "Aint nothing but a thang!"

I'll post some more pics of the work as it goes...
no excuse in NC.jpg
no excuse in florida.jpg

Re: No Excuse

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:53 am
by Jeff
Glad you have her Cape Man!!! Congrats!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:18 am
by fallguy1000
Great pics, can't wait to see it progress.

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:50 am
by cape man
20221009_150935.jpg
20221009_150952.jpg
20221009_151000.jpg
20221009_151026.jpg
20221009_151007.jpg

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:56 am
by Jeff
Cape Man, Yes, she needs some TLC!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:37 pm
by TomW1
I am so glad cape man has her and will give her the care she needs. Since I broke my hip and had shoulder replacement surgery, I just have not been able to give her that care. CL used a cheaper paint on the inside than on the exterior which he told me when I picked it up and it had started to peal when I bought it from him. The mountains are hard on things that just sit and are not used. :( I about cried a couple of times when Craig was here for turning it over to him do to the shape it was in.

Tom

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:40 pm
by fallguy1000
Looks like it actually will buff out. Some sanding and epoxy primer and paint and that thing will be back to bristol.

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:09 pm
by OrangeQuest
fallguy1000 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:40 pm Looks like it actually will buff out. Some sanding and epoxy primer and paint and that thing will be back to bristol.
And we know how much Cape Man loves the sanding!

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:54 pm
by cape man
And it begins... starting at the top.
20221010_170236.jpg
20221010_172843.jpg

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:19 pm
by Jeff
Great start Cape Man!!!! Look forward to seeing her back to normal soon!!! Are you guys still working on that LM18 you bought??? Jeff

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:28 pm
by fallguy1000
That's just a little mountain lichen on there. No sweat.

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:20 pm
by cape man
Mike, aka Seaslug, is going to come get and finish John's LM18. Sometime the world spins right.

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:34 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Congratulations, she looks way better than I thought she would look after 6 years of complete neglect.

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:56 pm
by seaslug
Craig, glad the trip went well, and you made it back home safe. Other than being a little dirty, what a beautiful boat. If it hadn't been so far from home, I would have bought it myself, but any drive over thirty minutes is too much for me. I'm just glad you've taken ownership and will bring it back to life. Sorry I didn't make it over your way last week to pick up the LM18, hope it's not too much trouble. I planned on coming over this week, but my mom was just admitted to the hospital today, so I'll know more tomorrow. She's almost 94 so I don't want to be away until I know she's ok. She's a bit stressed lately, with my brother passing 2 weeks ago and my sister passing the 3rd week of August. I'll let you know as soon as I know more. Thanks, Mike

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:46 pm
by cape man
Mike there's no rush. Take care of your mother .

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:03 am
by Jeff
So sorry to hear about your loss SeaSlug!! I hope your Mom does well!!!

Cant watch to watch that boat come back alive!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:47 pm
by cape man
Gotta love a pressure washer...
31378.jpeg
31380.jpeg

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:50 pm
by Jeff
So sorry to hear about your loss SeaSlug!! I hope your Mom does well!!!

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:51 pm
by Jeff
Wow Cape Man, what a positive change!!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:30 pm
by TomW1
Craig, thanks for making her look good again. I know you have some work to do on her. I am just so glad to get her in such good hands. Tom

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:42 pm
by TomW1
Seaslug, best wishes for your mom and may she be well. Tom

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:49 pm
by OrangeQuest
cape man wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:47 pm Gotta love a pressure washer...
And to think you just started with the TLC!

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:48 am
by cape man
I am assuming this is due to long term exposure freezing and thawing repeatedly... The deck is solid but the gunwales and transom top needs sanding and new glass.
20221012_080433.jpg
20221012_080408.jpg
20221012_080359.jpg

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:52 am
by Jeff
Cape Man, I think you are correct. The weather has been really tough on her!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:31 pm
by Fuzz
Jeff wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:03 am So sorry to hear about your loss SeaSlug!! I hope your Mom does well!!!

That is a lot of tough blows in a short time. I hope things go well for your mom and you. You are due a break.

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:34 pm
by Fuzz
Is that glass peeling off the wood like it has no bond?

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:13 pm
by cape man
It's weird. In some places it is solid and others it is just peeling off in huge chunks. I'm thinking moisture got in around the edges where there were dings and/or failing paint, and after multiple freezes and thaws it crept in a little farther each year and just pushed the glass off each time it froze. Given where Tom lives and how the boat was parked, I imagine it it was full of snow a few times each year. Anyone who has been in that region in the summer also knows that it is very hot, and VERY humid, so she endured a lot of weather...

The paint Larry used in the interior was failing early on (within a few years after launch). I remember him being upset with it, and wanting to repaint it but his health failed before he could get to it. The big reason he sold it. He could no longer maintain it, and didn't even really want to use it. The Kiwi Grip also went to Hell, but again it was subjected to multiple years of exposure and overgrowth of algae, moss, and lichens. Good news is he used Sterling on the outside and that all looks great except for a big scratch on the port side above the style line. Tom thinks a delivery driver hit it...

I'm not worried at all with anything I am finding as; 1) I watched him build this boat pretty much daily, as I was copying everything he did on my OD 18, so I know how solid it was built; 2) so far it's just some supplies and I have some of them in hand already. Won't cost a lot of $ to fix; 3) my son and his two friends are going to learn to enjoy sanding and fairing, not me :lol: :lol: :lol: ; 4) I was expecting the condition it would be in after sitting for so long; and 5) in the back of my head I can hear Larry saying, "Aint nothing but a Thang!". 8)

There was a small critter nest in one of the hatches and some droppings inside the motor cowling, but all the hoses and wires look good. Both of the batteries took a charge. 8O 8O Whether they will hold it is something different, but after sitting for this many years I was surprised my charger didn't give me the red light "Bad Battery" signal. I am going to drain and refill the fuel tank before even attempting to crank the motor, which "looks" good. Hope it isn't full, as I believe he put a 40 gallon tank under that front deck!!! :help: The radio and gps/sonar look fine - no moisture under the screens. T-top, hardware, hatches, pumps, etc. all look great! Was amazing the before and after on the canvas with the pressure washer! He definitely got some good canvas on that!

The plan is to pull the hardware off the gunwales and a few things off the console and let the guys start sanding! Minimal fairing, some glass work on the gunwales and transom, and new primer where needed (the deck looks good). Quantum 99 top coat (I think I have enough left from when I repainted Clara), and then Kiwi Grip on the decks (again I think I have enough from Clara's redo). All I think we need is primer and maybe a second sander to get two of them working at a time. 8)

Hope to relaunch her sometime next month at the latest and take two OD18s to the Cape this January.

Richard you may want to warn Red Alert that Clara may have a new girlfriend... 8) :lol:

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:30 pm
by OneWayTraffic
This thread has convinced me to invest in a high quality boat cover. Pay now or pay later.
For places where the glass will not lift but you want to remove it a heat gun and scraper work about ten times faster and 50 times cleaner than a grinder. I got more experience removing glass than most. :lol:

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:40 pm
by TomW1
Those dang little critter nests seem to show up everywhere around here Craig, I have to keep mouse bait in the engine compartment of our cars, or they will get in and chew the cars electrical wires. :lol: Those batteries were already 8 years old when I bought No Excuse from Larry so I would not expect much from them, but they sure did not let him or I down. The fuel tank is as I remember only about 1//4-1/3 full and yes, it is a 40-gal tank. You might want to drain and put new oil in the oil tank on the side of the motor, I do not know how well motor oil lasts, but I will leave that up to you.

Be careful on the main deck as the same paint was used as on the gunnels so there may be places where it may be starting to release from the fiberglass.

Tom

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:42 am
by fallguy1000
That plywood peeled up awful easy. Hope the bottom side isn't shot.

The plywood will drysuck any glass, so I'd probably neat coat it two times before laying any glass on it. It can be wet on wet for all, but I'd use only clear epoxy for the first two coats.

A lot of men pass on with projects like that in the backyard. Good that TomW was wise enough to realize his limits; even if it took awhile.

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:58 am
by cape man
There isn't glass on the underside of the gunwales, the inside of the sides, or the outside of the console. Larry coated everything with epoxy, but didn't use glass in a lot of the places the plans did not call for. All the seams and connection points are taped, but the surface was epoxy, primer, and paint. All the wood looks solid, including the stained area on the inside of the port transom that comes up above the baitwell. That's why his Dory came in hundreds of pounds lighter than mine!! :roll: :roll:

After sanding, everything that asks for it will be getting multiple coats of new epoxy before any new glass, primer, or paint is applied. Found an area on the back of the T-top that they missed with the pressure washer, but I've told them the next step is to remove all the hardware from the gunwales and start sanding. I'm trying to wrap my head around a way to sand and repaint the console without removing tha gauges, switch panel, etc. I have a small corner sander and the new multi tool has a sanding attachment. I'm less interested in them getting everything faired and shiny as I am making sure the wood is totally protected. The interior may very well end up being "work boat" finished...

Found a piece of hose that will extend the fuel line out over the back of the transom so will start siphoning the fuel out this weekend.

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:15 pm
by TomW1
Craig if you want to just fix that scratch on the port side, I recall that Larry used System 3 Vachon Gray for his exterior paint. You are making good progress on her. A couple of other things that you have probably found that I did not get to explain, on the red buoy with the keys is both the trailer lock and the starter key for the boat.

Tom

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:17 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Craig, what weight of cloth do you estimate that Cracker used on the gunwales?
Tom, the exterior paint on No Excuse is white Sterling.

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:18 pm
by jbo_c
Given how meticulous we all know Cracker Larry was in the construction, I, for one, would appreciate a separate thread about what held up best and weathered well since(and maybe what didn’t). I’m thinking, if his work with “x” didn’t hold up as well, there’s no chance mine will.

For instance, this comment caught my eye: “ Good news is he used Sterling on the outside and that all looks great except for a big scratch on the port side above the style line”. Maybe that suggests Sterling is the way to go. (?)

Jbo

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:19 pm
by Aripeka Angler
TomW1 wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:15 pm Craig if you want to just fix that scratch on the port side, I recall that Larry used System 3 Vachon Gray for his paint. You are making good progress on her.

Tom

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:06 pm
by TomW1
Aripeka Angler wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:17 pm Craig, what weight of cloth do you estimate that Cracker used on the gunwales?
Nope it is to gray to be white Sterling that is what he used on the interior as Sterling was cheaper at the time and is no longer sold in the store. It caused him nothing but problems as can be seen on how it is coming up for Craig. Tom

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:37 pm
by Aripeka Angler
TomW1 wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:06 pm
Aripeka Angler wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:17 pm Craig, what weight of cloth do you estimate that Cracker used on the gunwales?
Nope it is to gray to be white Sterling that is what he used on the interior as Sterling was cheaper at the time and is no longer sold in the store. It caused him nothing but problems as can be seen on how it is coming up for Craig. Tom

Tom, the interior of No Excuse is S3. The hull exterior is Sterling.

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:12 pm
by TomW1
Aripeka Angler wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:37 pm
TomW1 wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:06 pm

Tom, the interior of No Excuse is S3. The hull exterior is Sterling.
That is counter to what Larry told me if I am remembering correctly, maybe you could show me something that proves that. Also, the interior was light gray,the Kiwi Grip was gray also, Larry hated a white interior. Tom

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:09 am
by cape man
Richard is right. Grey S3 interior and white Sterling exterior. Can't prove it in writing as Larry's gone and he deleted the original build thread after having an argument here.

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:16 am
by cape man
The cloth looks like 6 ounce.

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:08 pm
by cape man
Found this post from Larry to Tom from August 2016...
Thanks Tom. That's why she's named "No Excuse" :D No corner was cut. No excuse for less than my best. My only regret is that System 3 interior paint. It sucks.

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:57 pm
by TomW1
Thanks, for refreshing my memory, Craig. I know we got a lot of complements when we were out fishing on Lake Fontana. Tom

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:03 pm
by cape man
The guys removed all the hardware from the gunwales and are going to remove the hatches next in prep for the sanding marathon. Ordered a gallon of S3 primer. Bought a cover that's 11 feet at the peak but even with that the GPS and radio antennas are awful close. Going to lift it another 5 inches with some cedar timbers that were a victim of Hurricane Ian behind the barn (old outdoor horse stalls). Tried to siphon any gas out the back and could not get anything going, even by sucking with a shop vac. Tried to remove the outlet from the tank to get in from there and broke the fitting that goes into the Elbow coming out. Now the uptake is frozen and won't come out. Going to try an impact wrench...
20221018_183146.jpg
20221018_141920.jpg

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:21 pm
by Fuzz
Don't you just love how something simple turns into a project :help:

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:18 pm
by cape man
When the nipple broke I may have said something very profane and the struggle since has not curbed my language. I know some very nasty things in Tunisian Arabic that help me during such times.

But I keep hearing "Ain't nothing but a thang."

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:07 pm
by fallguy1000
Moeller sells some of that stuff. Mosty, good luck,

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:21 am
by OneWayTraffic
Worse comes to the worst you can always cut out the wood from around it.

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:54 am
by cape man
Moeller has the part...have to get the old one out first. I am not cutting the deck!!

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:31 am
by pee wee
Was that T-top built by his friend Raymond? It has a nice look to it, sweeping curves and such.

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:40 am
by cape man
Yes. That's Raymond 's work. Never met him but his work is awesome.

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:43 am
by OrangeQuest
cape man wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:18 pm When the nipple broke I may have said something very profane and the struggle since has not curbed my language. I know some very nasty things in Tunisian Arabic that help me during such times.

But I keep hearing "Ain't nothing but a thang."

Hmm? Seems something in those fittings is not made of the same metals as the rest. Galvanic corrosion has welded the fittings together? Can you drill out the fitting going down into the tank and replace the fitting then? Is the tank made of stainless? I see stainless screws holding the sending unit down.
The ground attachment point also looks to be made of a different metal.

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:11 am
by cape man
I think it's all aluminum. This is the part that's "stuck". https://www.moellermarine.com/moeller-m ... 635021-10/

After 12 years you don't have to have two different kinds of metal to make things hard to move!!!

Found the right socket to put on an impact drill and will give it a shot later today.

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:09 pm
by Fuzz
If you are going to do anything that has a chance of producing a spark then bite the bullet and fill the tank with water first.

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:25 pm
by fallguy1000
Isn't there a nut on the other side?

I would think access is via the sender, but I'm guessing.

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:45 pm
by TomW1
cape man you are correct the tank is aluminum, and he used the proper fittings and properly grounded it, what I do not remember is where he got it from. Tom

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:54 pm
by cape man
The tank is plastic, the fuel take up connections are aluminum. Moeller does sell replacements but as I said I have to get the old one out. Apparently there is a "jam fitting" that goes through the top, and a threaded sleeve that recieves the jam nut on the outside and the connector "T" on the inside. Some of the fuel pick up assemblies have a threaded connection, and others are a pop-in. Both have support documents on how to remove or repair them, which at least is helping me vision what I'm dealing with. https://www.moellermarine.com/customer- ... r-support/

Actually impressed with their website and customer support documents, but not so much with them answering the phone or replying to an email...

Have been trying to unscrew the fitting, so today I'm going to try and pull it out. Don't know if it will work as I can't wrap my head around it not turning in the jam fitting if its just a pop in...

I know you all are waiting for sanding, fairing, and painting posts, but the fuel issue has to be addressed before she goes out... :roll: :roll:

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:57 pm
by cape man
Tried an impact wrench and the entire fitting spun. Tried a puller and was only able to grunt. Emailed a pic and discription of my problem to the tech support at Moeller and they pretty much said I need a new tank since the fitting spun, and that based on the pic it is a threaded fitting... No retrofit available from them, and I can appreciate that given the liability for a gas tank in a boat. However... cutting the deck and removing the tank is NOT an option, and certainly not my preferred.

Did some digging and talked to some friends that have a lot of experience in boats and fuel tanks. On my Moeller tank, the fuel sending unit is immediately adjacent to the fuel pickup fitting and is a circular plate screwed into the tank top with 5 screws. You can take that off and replace it if needed. So why not do the same with the fuel pickup?

Step 1, and the BIG step was to get the courage to break out a 1 3/4" hole saw and cut out the whole fitting around the nut. Was waiting for an internet service guy yesterday afternoon so decided it was time to bite the bullet, pull the trigger, stop being a sissy, and get on it! It actually went a lot easier than I expected!
20221025_122939.jpg
20221025_123514.jpg
Now I can see inside and there's very little fuel, but it is a dark yellow brown. I'm bringing home some airline tubing (like you get for an aquarium) and a glass pipette that fits it to slowly siphon out the fuel from the lowest corner of the tank. The solution afterwards is to use something like this to replace the pickup.
Screenshot_20221024-060443_Chrome.jpg
I sent an email to them to get the dimensions of the plate and the length of the pickup tube. If their off-the-shelf part doesn't work my welder buddy says he'll make me one out of stainless.

The internet service guy was running late so I decided to remove the numbers and registration decals from the bow using Goof Off and alcohol
Seemed appropriate as by now I'm just goofing off and having a beer.
20221025_164224.jpg
15 minutes befor the deadline for the service appointment (1 - 5pm), the guy calls to say he was on his way but got pulled off of our problem to service a FEMA job?!!! By now I'm really pissed as the problem has been a week in the process! But I know what calms the soul of this old fart... Break out the Sander!

Got the port side gunwale and foredeck sanded! If nothing else it will show the guys where to stop and it allowed me to go to that Zen place that only the sound of a random orbital sander provides...
20221025_183919.jpg
Have a fun surprise for this issue...
20221025_164233.jpg

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:11 pm
by Fuzz
Last picture WTF :doh:

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:26 pm
by Jeff
Good start Cape Man!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:06 pm
by cape man
Tom thinks it was a delivery van... :help:

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:53 pm
by OrangeQuest
I didn't like that pick-up tube problem, but I do like your solution.

You are crazy liking the sound of a sander!

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:57 pm
by OneWayTraffic
cape man wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:54 am Moeller has the part...have to get the old one out first. I am not cutting the deck!!
:D

I don't know how many screwups I've made where I eventually stopped mucking around and just cut the whole thing out.

I have 31mm drains in the back of my boat now at 41mm because I thought I'd had mold release on the rubber bung I put in it. Nope. 20minutes of screwing around and swearing before I got out both of them in 1 minute each, bung hole and 'mold release' and all.

That little holesaw plug will be an easy fix.

PS: Hope you didn't think I was suggesting a removal of the whole tank. But a fitting is a different story. The new one will need to be bedded in glass or resin anyway.

I'd look into just sealing that scratch and getting a marine vinyl wrap for it. Something boaty. Any kind of paint over will show, but if it looks deliberate it will look ok.

https://www.google.com/search?q=vinyl+b ... 1&biw=1232

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:19 pm
by fallguy1000
New one has to be done in a rotomold tank repair kit afaik.

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:52 am
by cape man
The new one will need to be bedded in glass or resin anyway.
New one has to be done in a rotomold tank repair kit afaik.
Neither...The new one will be sealed to the top of the tank by 12 screws/bolts with a Tygon washer between it and the tank, just like the fuel sending unit, except that only uses 5 bolts. Still waiting for Boyd Welding in Ocala to send me the dimensions of the plate and the length of the pick up tube. Hopefully it will work and my buddy doesn't have to mess with making one from scratch.

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:04 am
by cape man
If you ever need to drain a tank, this worked great. Very slow siphon, but got almost everything out before it lost the siphon.
20221027_091850.jpg
20221026_160135.jpg
There was just over a gallon in the tank.

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:20 am
by Jeff
Good job Cape Man!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:29 am
by OrangeQuest
Now how will you clean it out? They make a few water-soluble chemicals that will break down the "gasoline" varnish and help get anything on the bottom, sides and top clean but you may need to use a bigger hose to get the chunkier chunks out.. if there are any in there.

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:19 pm
by cape man
Going to go with some detergent and water treatments several times and then a thorough rinse with water. Will use a bigger hose like you suggest in the beginning and end with the little one to get the last bit out.

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:30 pm
by cape man
Tried to call Richard and David for confirmation of my plan but they didn't answer...pulled the trigger and filled the tank with water and Lemon Joy. As I was doing it Richard called back and agreed with the plan, but recommended Dawn over Joy. Side conversation was how I use Joy for saltwater bathing, but he uses Dawn to cut fuel...kind of fun.

Let it sit for 30 minutes and siphoned everything out, starting with a big hose and then switching to my airline rig. Tank bottom looked SO MUCH BETTER!

The wife had a big jug of Dawn so I refilled it with water and Dawn. Will let that sit overnight...
20221027_165736.jpg
20221027_181451.jpg
The off the shelf pick up kit is not going to work. The top plate is 6" diameter and the pickup tube is too short. Custom fitting coming...

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:45 pm
by OrangeQuest
When I had a bigger boat, every marina I went to to fill up had a mixture of Dawn and water in a spray bottle at the pumps. Every fill up got a few squirts in the water. Something in Dawn breaks down the oil in petroleum products. Not to mention, "50% less scrubbing"! :roll:

What about the rest of the fuel system?

NotE: I can now see why removing the tank would not be an option.

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:07 am
by cape man
I'll get a new water separator and fuel filter and add a fuel system cleaner to the first tank of gas. Hope the carbs aren't gummed, but we'll fix if needed. The steering rod is frozen...

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:16 am
by OrangeQuest
cape man wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:07 am I'll get a new water separator and fuel filter and add a fuel system cleaner to the first tank of gas. Hope the carbs aren't gummed, but we'll fix if needed. The steering rod is frozen...

Gasoline turns to a gummy varnish as it ages and evaporates. Carbs with float bowls will gum up pretty easy and so will the jets, emulsion tubes. If there was something in the fuel, in the form of water (alcohol blend), then it can cause the corrosion you had at the pickup tube fittings. I would hope not, but I would expect the carbs will need attention. If easy to reach one of the carb float bowl drain plug maybe see if anything comes out. If it's still liquid, then you may get lucky. Also inspect the air inlet passages for more critter nests. Just my two cents.

With your love of sanding, I don't see the console getting the detailed sanding, you love so much, to get done properly without taking the gauges off. :?

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:16 am
by cape man
I'm expecting some carb work will be needed, but one can dream... :roll:

The gauges and everything else on the console are staying as they are, so the finish will not be as good as possible. We are trying to fix everything that needs fixing, sand and seal everything that needs sealing with epoxy, primer, paint, and Kiwi Grip, and get this bad girl back on the water!

Met with my welder friend this morning and he's making the fuel pickup fitting out of aluminum as soon as he gets some 3/8" NPT fittings. My son and his friends are scheduled to start removing the hatches, taping and masking, and running the sanders tomorrow. We'll see how fast they work as a team. 8) 8)

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:15 pm
by OrangeQuest
cape man wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:16 am I'm expecting some carb work will be needed, but one can dream... :roll:
The gauges and everything else on the console are staying as they are, so the finish will not be as good as possible. We are trying to fix everything that needs fixing, sand and seal everything that needs sealing with epoxy, primer, paint, and Kiwi Grip, and get this bad girl back on the water!
Ok, maybe not to get it back in the water but can you live without doing it sometime down the road...and be honest! :lol:
cape man wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:16 am Met with my welder friend this morning and he's making the fuel pickup fitting out of aluminum as soon as he gets some 3/8" NPT fittings. My son and his friends are scheduled to start removing the hatches, taping and masking, and running the sanders tomorrow. We'll see how fast they work as a team. 8) 8)
Interesting to see what he comes up with and how well you can get it to seal. I had a pony keg on my sand rail many years ago, had to use JB Weld to seal where they threaded a fitting for the fuel line but held very well for many years.

Loving all the details you are explaining as you go along.

Guessing you already have a chair lined up with cup holder to supervise the sanding operations? :lol:

Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:09 pm
by cape man
20221029_140749.jpg
They are not 3X faster than me, but most certainly 3X easier!!

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:57 pm
by Fuzz
With that sanding crew it should get done in no time. Just need the old master to keep them on point. :wink:

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:17 am
by jbo_c
How is the graphite bottom doing?

Jbo

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:23 am
by cape man
I haven't climbed under yet, but what I can see from the sides looks good.

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:01 am
by glossieblack
Just caught up with this restoration thread. Well done Tom and Craig for coming to an arrangement whereby CL's masterpiece will live on. As recorded in this forum, CL ranked you both highly. I suspect looking down from boat builders' heaven, he's delighted. :D

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:38 pm
by cape man
Fuel pickup fixed. 3" aluminum plate with a 3/8" npt female fitting welded in the middle. 6 holes around the edges, and a rubber washer between the fitting and the top of the tank. Drilled holes about half the diameter of #10 stainless screws and VERY CAREFULLY pulled it snug.

Pickup tube, nipple for hose, and rubber washer material cost less than $50 and the plate set me back a case of Busch beer!
20221106_140314.jpg
20221106_134001.jpg

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:05 pm
by OrangeQuest
That is some really nice-looking welding.

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:19 pm
by cape man
He's a pro for sure.

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:40 pm
by TomW1
OrangeQuest wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:05 pm That is some really nice-looking welding.
+1

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:46 pm
by Jeff
+2!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:23 pm
by Aripeka Angler
cape man wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:19 pm He's a pro for sure.
Yes he is….
AB6E17A7-C021-4D11-B5B9-88126531FB66.jpeg
95BE7172-04CB-453C-8719-41958AD88F7D.jpeg

Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:30 am
by cape man
Richard's new fish cleaning station under construction...

Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:34 pm
by cape man
To their credit, the guys decided to remove the gauges to sand the console. Larry did an awesome job of the wiring!
20221111_133840.jpg
20221111_133820.jpg

Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:18 pm
by Jeff
Nice work Cape Man!!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:18 pm
by Jeff
Nice work Cape Man!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:14 pm
by cape man
Sitting in a chair, sipping on a strong IPA, sun setting in an absolutely crystal clear, warm Florida fall day, listening to the guys working. Life is good!!
20221114_164229.jpg
20221114_164239.jpg
20221114_164239.jpg

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:23 pm
by cape man
I wasn't lying!
20221114_171620.jpg

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:29 pm
by Jeff
Cape Man, they are making great progress!!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:35 pm
by cape man
So I stopped the work to ask them both - Do you know what Zen is? Both responded yes (with a look of WTF? You think we are ignorant!). Okay...then do you find sanding to be Zen-like? Both said yes!

This is what they are dealing with.
20221114_165110.jpg
I started the repair on where the Blue Marlin spike (or delivery van) hit her. Taped the edges of good, then sanded out the bad with the corner sander. Heavy, neat coat of epoxy, and after I was sure there were no drips, pulled the tape. Anyone see where this going?
20221114_163641.jpg
20221114_165046.jpg

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:19 am
by pee wee
Are you going to highlight the hull scar, like a pirate's cheek with a sabre slash? Larry would approve! :lol:

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:12 pm
by piperdown
Fish hook?

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:36 pm
by cape man
20221115_082021.jpg
20221115_080606.jpg
Retaped the scar made by the Hammerhead Shark (or delivery truck), added another coat of neat epoxy and then filled everything with epoxy mixed with the BBC fairing additive (microballoons...the purple stuff). Pulled the tape after once again making sure it was not dripping or sagging.

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:51 pm
by piperdown
Actually, now it kind of looks like the Grim Reaper's scythe........

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:04 pm
by OrangeQuest
Looks like you are making more things to sand! :D

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:15 pm
by cape man
I didn't make it. It was the gouge from when the Somali pirates were trying to board (or delivery truck).

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:57 pm
by OrangeQuest
cape man wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:15 pm I didn't make it. It was the gouge from when the Somali pirates were trying to board (or delivery truck).
I was joking more than anything.

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:48 am
by cape man
Me too

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:54 pm
by cape man
Finished the repair on the starboard side where the sturgeon smashed into the boat (or delivery truck). Bought some bright red Testor's Yacht paint at $512 per gallon. Fortunately I found a 0.5 ounce bottle at Joanne's Fabrics for $2.
20221117_121104.jpg
20221117_122325.jpg
The plan is to tell another big fat lie anytime someone asks. :lol: :lol:

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:57 pm
by VT_Jeff
Testors. Wow. That brings me back! :help:

Nice work featuring the scar, I like it!

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:53 pm
by cape man
They say smells invoke the strongest memories. I was 7 years old painting a model B 52 as soon as I popped the lid!

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:58 pm
by cape man
20221117_165303.jpg
20221117_165313.jpg
I've painted and repainted my Dory and spent today sanding and prepping Larry's. BREAK THE BANK AND USE GOOD PAINT! (And store the boat a little bit out of the weather...).

Painting is easy the first time...not so much the second...

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:13 pm
by Fuzz
Missed a spot :roll:

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:23 pm
by OrangeQuest
That was a lot of sanding in a short amount of time!

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:21 pm
by cape man
The guys have been on it for weeks, but just a few hours at a time. They did most of it. I'm just going in for the details I know it will need before we start sealing her back up.

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:33 am
by Aripeka Angler
Hell yeah, looks great! I’m 100% positive the captain would be happy.

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:44 pm
by TomW1
+1 He sure would!!!

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:52 pm
by cape man
I'm smelling epoxy this weekend...
20221118_170753.jpg

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:00 pm
by cape man
20221119_135850.jpg

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:38 pm
by cape man
Woke to a cool, cloudy morning with rain on its way.
Screenshot_20221120-070209_RadarNow!.jpg
Went out and put up visqueen walls that I kept after repainting Clara two years ago, and we all knocked out another coat of epoxy and I taped up the transom and rear deck with 3 staggered layers of 8" wide 12 ounce tape.
20221120_133754.jpg
20221120_130425.jpg

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:20 pm
by cape man
Just in time...
20221120_134304.jpg

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:53 pm
by OneWayTraffic
Will the epoxy blush if it cures while raining? I work with WEST and although it's supposed to be bad for blushing, I rarely see it.

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:59 pm
by cape man
I've never seen blush with BBC Marine epoxy but we'll see. I've also never applied epoxy in these conditions.

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:29 pm
by VT_Jeff
I see some blush with the fast but not the slow, which is what i tend to use anyway.

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:09 pm
by cape man
Have never used the fast and now only use the slow. Gives me time to recover...

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:51 am
by cape man
Stopped by the boat on the way out this morning. Marine Epoxy with slow hardner will blush if used when the high temperatures are below 70 and the humidity is 100%. 8) Actually a pretty good amount of blush

Fortunately that was the last coat of epoxy and I already told the guys they would need to lightly sand and clean any epoxy coated area prior to laying down any fairing compound, primer, or paint.

The epoxy is hard as a rock, so just a blush issue.

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:10 am
by OneWayTraffic
No problem then. In my experience if you wet sand with 3M scotch Brite green scouring pads you will give it some tooth and remove the blush all at once. I go over two or three times. First time is a scrub, then I rinse then I go over again applying a bit more force. Seems to work. Just plain water if I'm told correctly.

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:01 am
by cape man
The guys started with the quick fair. I did tell them to use small amounts. As Richard said...wax on wax OFF! Hey, they're learning :lol:
32666.jpeg

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:37 am
by Dougster
8O

I do stuff like that, what I call "Dougstering". It's one perfectly valid, if taxing at times, way of getting things done.

Been there often enough Dougster

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:23 pm
by Fuzz
I believe Larry would say "we aint icing a cake here" :roll:

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:36 pm
by OrangeQuest
I think you got them hooked on sanding!

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:02 pm
by OneWayTraffic
I was told once that all you need to build these boats powertool wise is a jigsaw and drill. I disagree, the Grinder gets a lot of use as well. :wink:

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:09 pm
by OrangeQuest
I started putting my power tools in a tote so it is easier to remove them from the boat.

With those young hands, they should be introduced to the sanding boards and that much icing.

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:59 am
by bklake
AFTER they finish sanding all of that off, I bet the next layer will be much thinner.

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:37 pm
by VT_Jeff
cape man wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:01 am The guys started with the quick fair. I did tell them to use small amounts. As Richard said...wax on wax OFF! Hey, they're learning :lol:
Pretty sure they are not the ones buying the stuff! :lol:

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:01 pm
by cape man
Wish them luck! I'm 10 hours north of them and they are priming today and tomorrow! I keep thinking it will be better than when we got it from Tom... I'll post pics if they send them.

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:51 am
by cape man
32883.jpeg
2 coats of primer. They're going for at least three.

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:52 am
by cape man
32883.jpeg
2 coats of primer. They're going for at least 3.

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:20 pm
by cape man
32906.jpeg
32905.jpeg
32897.jpeg
32898.jpeg
32900.jpeg
32901.jpeg
I think they got this!

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:43 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Sweet 8)

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:16 pm
by cape man
They're going for a third coat tomorrow.

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:35 pm
by TomW1
Very nice.

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:53 pm
by Jeff
Really nice progress Cape Man!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:39 pm
by Rogerdog
Congratulations Cape Man. No Excuse was the boat the drew me in years ago and started my conversation with Larry to build my GF18. There is a great photo of No Excuse taken from the water that focuses on about the same place as the orca / lobster scratch on the side.

No Excuse was always ready to go. We had to have a LEO look at the GF18 to get a hull id number. While the deputy was at Larry's house (I think he was there for a couple of hours telling stories and shooting Larry's pistol), No Excuse was under a pole tarp like the one you have. The deputy told Larry that their search and rescue boat coverage on that part of the Savannah River was deplorable, and they had rescue needs that they couldn't meet. Larry told him No Excuse is always ready to go, and he's mostly at the house. Larry gave him his phone number.

Within a few weeks, Larry got a call or door knock at a crazy early time of the morning. A motorist had stopped to assist someone who's had an accident on the I-95 bridge. He was standing there when another vehicle was barreling at him. Rather than be hit by the other vehicle, the Samaritan jumped off the interstate bridge into the river. It was a long drop, and it was cold water. Police showed up and were looking from the bridge, but you typically cannot get anywhere near the channel on the Savannah River from the sides -- its a mile wide swamp.

They got hold of Larry, and he hitched the boat, hopped in the truck and was at the ramp in a couple of minutes. The officer at the ramp just told him to leave the truck on the ramp with the keys in it. He took one paramedic and maybe an officer and away they went. They found the guy downstream around the corner from the bridge in the water clinging to a tree with a broken limb and hypothermia setting in. They pulled him aboard and got him back to the ambulance at the ramp. He turned out just fine.

Larry had a lot of great stories about that boat. Apparently, if the boat is just a little bit too tall to go under a bridge, you can pull the drain plug and let it settle in. The electrics are high enough that a foot of water around your ankles won't hurt anything. Get past the bridge, put the plug back in and the bilge pump will have her floating high in no time.

It looks like you have the gas tank sorted, and I don't know if Larry bought that tank from the same place, but the tank on my boat came from Speedy Tanks.

Larry originally bought a tee top for that boat that was pretty plain. Neither he nor Raymond liked it very much, and he got Raymond to build a new double ring top. They did not want to spend the money on new legs just then, so Raymond cut the old metal top piece off of the original legs and welded on the new double ring. He had plans to replace the legs someday but did not get around to it. If it needs new Sunbrella, Raymond can make up a piece and send it. I doubt he would still have the old pattern, but I am positive that if you took off the old canvas and mailed it to him, he could make up a new canvas kit. Raymond Martin Designs.

One of your posts mentions the tight fit of No Excuses under that pole tarp. Larry made his pole tarp both a little taller (and portable) with feet made of concrete in buckets. I'm not positive, but I think he partially plugged short pieces of pipe slightly larger in diameter than the poles and set those in one or two gallon buckets of quickrete with a ring bolt also in the quickrete. The poles went in the pipes in the concrete buckets, and the poles were tied down to the buckets. He erected the tent where he wanted it then put stakes in the ground and tied the tent to the stakes. You could pick up a couple of inches in clearance with the concrete in those buckets under the pipes.

The cleaning and sanding look great. The gunnels have a nice sweep, and they are wide enough to be useful. You will love that boat.

Tom, I'm sorry to hear about your health issues. Your advice on props and such is very helpful.

Good luck.

Wayne

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:28 pm
by cape man
Wayne,

Thanks for the post. We're on a long road trip and I'm exhausted tonight, but I'll respond in a few days. I'm really jazzed to have No Excuse. Larry was a dear friend.

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:12 pm
by Dan_Smullen
cape man wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:16 pm They're going for a third coat tomorrow.
Sanding crew did a fine job. She looks refreshed!

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:27 pm
by OrangeQuest
cape man wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:28 pm Wayne,

Thanks for the post. We're on a long road trip and I'm exhausted tonight, but I'll respond in a few days. I'm really jazzed to have No Excuse. Larry was a dear friend.
I would imagine every time you see the boat it brings back memories of your dear friend and some of your adventures with him. The boat is in good hands.

I have a few keep sakes of my brother and every time I see them, I think of my best friend growing up.

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:34 pm
by fallguy1000
Rogerdog wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:39 pm Congratulations Cape Man. No Excuse was the boat the drew me in years ago and started my conversation with Larry to build my GF18. There is a great photo of No Excuse taken from the water that focuses on about the same place as the orca / lobster scratch on the side.

No Excuse was always ready to go. We had to have a LEO look at the GF18 to get a hull id number. While the deputy was at Larry's house (I think he was there for a couple of hours telling stories and shooting Larry's pistol), No Excuse was under a pole tarp like the one you have. The deputy told Larry that their search and rescue boat coverage on that part of the Savannah River was deplorable, and they had rescue needs that they couldn't meet. Larry told him No Excuse is always ready to go, and he's mostly at the house. Larry gave him his phone number.

Within a few weeks, Larry got a call or door knock at a crazy early time of the morning. A motorist had stopped to assist someone who's had an accident on the I-95 bridge. He was standing there when another vehicle was barreling at him. Rather than be hit by the other vehicle, the Samaritan jumped off the interstate bridge into the river. It was a long drop, and it was cold water. Police showed up and were looking from the bridge, but you typically cannot get anywhere near the channel on the Savannah River from the sides -- its a mile wide swamp.

They got hold of Larry, and he hitched the boat, hopped in the truck and was at the ramp in a couple of minutes. The officer at the ramp just told him to leave the truck on the ramp with the keys in it. He took one paramedic and maybe an officer and away they went. They found the guy downstream around the corner from the bridge in the water clinging to a tree with a broken limb and hypothermia setting in. They pulled him aboard and got him back to the ambulance at the ramp. He turned out just fine.

Larry had a lot of great stories about that boat. Apparently, if the boat is just a little bit too tall to go under a bridge, you can pull the drain plug and let it settle in. The electrics are high enough that a foot of water around your ankles won't hurt anything. Get past the bridge, put the plug back in and the bilge pump will have her floating high in no time.

It looks like you have the gas tank sorted, and I don't know if Larry bought that tank from the same place, but the tank on my boat came from Speedy Tanks.

Larry originally bought a tee top for that boat that was pretty plain. Neither he nor Raymond liked it very much, and he got Raymond to build a new double ring top. They did not want to spend the money on new legs just then, so Raymond cut the old metal top piece off of the original legs and welded on the new double ring. He had plans to replace the legs someday but did not get around to it. If it needs new Sunbrella, Raymond can make up a piece and send it. I doubt he would still have the old pattern, but I am positive that if you took off the old canvas and mailed it to him, he could make up a new canvas kit. Raymond Martin Designs.

One of your posts mentions the tight fit of No Excuses under that pole tarp. Larry made his pole tarp both a little taller (and portable) with feet made of concrete in buckets. I'm not positive, but I think he partially plugged short pieces of pipe slightly larger in diameter than the poles and set those in one or two gallon buckets of quickrete with a ring bolt also in the quickrete. The poles went in the pipes in the concrete buckets, and the poles were tied down to the buckets. He erected the tent where he wanted it then put stakes in the ground and tied the tent to the stakes. You could pick up a couple of inches in clearance with the concrete in those buckets under the pipes.

The cleaning and sanding look great. The gunnels have a nice sweep, and they are wide enough to be useful. You will love that boat.

Tom, I'm sorry to hear about your health issues. Your advice on props and such is very helpful.

Good luck.

Wayne
This is one of the best stories I ever read on the forum. Thanks for taking the time to share it.

Fair winds. Dan

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:48 pm
by cape man
Wayne,

In 2008 I started building my OD18 and Larry was about 5 months ahead of me with No Excuse. We communicated almost daily here with me copying his build except some changes in the console, gunwales, and decks.

The original T-top was one that came off a boat that a friend was making a new one for. I grabbed it but decided I didn't want to put one on my boat as I have a couple of mangrove creeks here in Florida I like to fish, and even with letting water in it wouldn't clear. 8)

Larry had a fishing trip scheduled with Aripeka Angler and stopped by here to pick up the T-top first. We stayed up till 2 am sharing tales and drinking, and finally put the aluminum shoe on my skeg before calling it. He left here at 5 am to go offshore about an hour from here.

From there we became close friends and I stayed with him and Dori in Clyo when traveling north to hunt in Virginia and we fished together down here several times. I watched him build your boat which is the most amazing GF18 ever made.

Two days after my father died I drove up to Clyo as Larry was failing. I sat on the porch with Dori and his son Chris for a few hours and drove back home. He passed the next day.

Since then my wife and I have remained close with Dori and convinced her to join us all at one of the boat builders meetings here a few years ago. We still stay with her when traveling north, including the Tuesday before Thanksgiving a few weeks ago.

Spent about 8 hours yesterday and today sanding in preparation for painting tomorrow. It will not look as good as he had it when new, but it feels awesome to be resurrecting his baby.

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:09 pm
by TomW1
You are doing a great job Craig of restoring No Excuse. Maybe she won't be Larry bristol new, but you have given her another 20 years of life. I hope your son and friend enjoy her. What color are you painting the inside. I sort of assume some sort of gray. How's the motor coming along?

Still so glad yoou bought her as you know her better than anyone else. Bet you get your hull numbers on straighter than I did. :lol:

Tom

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:44 am
by Dougster
It is definatley heart warming to see your restoration. I followed CL's build every step of the way and he held my hand on the forum as I struggled for 8 years ( 8O ) to build the LB22.

Dougster

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:07 am
by cape man
20221211_095715.jpg
First coat of EMC Quantum going down. Hope to get at least two coats out of the can.

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:11 am
by cape man
Matihorn White with a cream tinted Kiwi Grip later.

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:21 am
by pee wee
It's heart warming to see that boat getting the attention it deserves! Glad also that you got ahold of it while it was still in half way decent shape. You guys ought to put a plaque on there with Larry's name as original builder, it's a great origin.

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:46 am
by cape man
We could really use a 3rd coat in some areas. However, have pulled the tape (so would have to retape a lot of it) and have missed the 4 - 14 hour window that EMC Quantum lists for a subsequent coat WITHOUT sanding. Even though I LOVE sanding, and the guys are learning to love it, we are running short on time to get her running and fully checked out before a trip to Cape Sable the first week of January. I'm thinking we go with the Kiwi Grip, reinstall all the hardware and gauges, fire up the engine (FINGERS CROSSED!!!) and go fishing! They can always go back and add another coat later...

I like the idea of a plaque or small vinyl on the transom saying Built by "Cracker" Larry Teuton, Clyo Georgia

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:09 pm
by cape man
Could not stand it. I knew I had enough paint for one more coat... taped everything up again and just went for it, mostly using a brush. Halved the reducer this time so it was a bit thicker and gave more cover. I know I was about 10 hours past the window for not sanding, but decided I'd rather have good solid color. Finished right as I lost daylight. Have a friend from Washington coming in Wednesday and we have 2 nights at the Rod and Gun Club in Everglades City with Clara Thursday and Friday so won't be able to do anything else till probably Sunday. I'll get the guys to pull the tape tomorrow.
20221212_174946.jpg
20221212_174921.jpg

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:13 pm
by Fuzz
She is going to be looking good again soon!
I am sure painting is a lot more fun than dealing with 3 foot of snow with 6 foot drifts :help:

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:35 am
by cape man
Yes it is!! Ouch!

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:51 am
by cape man
I pulled the tape myself on the way out this morning, and while it certainly looks better than when we got her, this is the worst paint job I've ever been involved in! Part of it was in getting a good surface to start with, dealing with all the hardware that wasn't easy to remove, and using minimal amounts of paint each coat as we didn't have enough. It is completely sealed with the primer and paint, and the Kiwi Grip should improve the appearance, so I'm okay with what we have done...just not overly excited...

Can hear the Cracker going off on me.

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:19 am
by VT_Jeff
cape man wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:51 am this is the worst paint job I've ever been involved in!
Good to get that behind you!

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:08 am
by Jeff
Cape Man, I am sure it is not that bad!!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:04 pm
by bklake
You know where every drip, run and brush mark are. Most of the people looking at it won't see any of them. People that have been in your shoes and painted a boat might tease a little but probably won't unless they know you well. They know what was involved with the job. The fact that you pulled the hardware puts you ahead of 99% of the paint jobs out there.

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:26 pm
by cape man
Thanks David, Jeff, and bklake. It is a job and not a lot of time.

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:50 am
by bklake
You can tell people that it is a high gloss guide coat so you can find defects that need to be smoothed out. Tell them your plan is to look at it using as many sun angles as possible. Sunrise, sunset, mid day, cloudy days rain days. Sadly it will take many outings over about 3 years to verify all the areas that need touch up. Best get on the water now and start looking. Tough work but I'm sure you can handle it.

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:20 pm
by Rogerdog
If you wanted a factory gel coat finish, you would have a factory boat -- with a gel coat finish.

The time and place to grade that paint job is at the camp site on the second night after a long day of fishing, before scrubbing off the marsh scum, fish slime, and blood, after a very large rum and juice, from 15 feet away and without your glasses -- Clyo perfect!

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:28 pm
by cape man
Thanks guys! Made me laugh!

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:39 pm
by OrangeQuest
Wait till I post pictures of my paint job and No Excuse will look like a masterpiece. Besides, isn't she a few years old and has a few adventures behind her?

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:27 am
by OneWayTraffic
You could try a speckled finish. Inside of a boat is best workboat style anyway.

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:26 am
by cape man
It's not THAT bad!! :lol: :lol:

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:41 pm
by Fuzz
Based off of what your other dory looks like I am thinking the so-so paint job would make 90% of us dang happy :wink:

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:09 pm
by OrangeQuest
Fuzz wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:41 pm Based off of what your other dory looks like I am thinking the so-so paint job would make 90% of us dang happy :wink:
Thinking your estimate is a little low, maybe 93 to 95%.

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:46 pm
by OneWayTraffic
cape man wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:26 am It's not THAT bad!! :lol: :lol:
:wink:

Most glass boats in NZ have the interior all covered with lining fabric on the sides and carpet on the floor. I’m planning to use it contact glued to the paint for the inside sides of my boat, though I don’t think gluing carpet to the floor is a good idea Im happy to put mats on the nonskid.

I can see why they do that now. Fairing to yacht quality is a pain.

Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:15 pm
by TomW1
OWT our bass and walleye boats generally have carpet or non-skid mats in them. But they are removeable for cleaning.

Tom

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:38 am
by cape man
Larry would come out of death to kill me if I laid carpet down!!

Going to start the motor today and lay down Kiwi Grip. Wish us luck on both.

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:14 am
by Dougster
cape man wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:38 am Larry would come out of death to kill me if I laid carpet down!!
:lol:

Dougster

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:53 am
by TomW1
cape man wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:38 am Larry would come out of death to kill me if I laid carpet down!!
You ain't a kidding1 8O Good luck with the motor.

Tom

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:54 pm
by cape man
Hooked up a portable tank. Second hit on the ignition. We'll see if she will run in a few days. Finished the taping but did not get the Kiwi Grip down.
[https://youtu.be/xKXohj_cgcY]
20221218_131030.jpg

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:55 pm
by VT_Jeff
What a great sound!!!

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:59 pm
by OrangeQuest
Sounds like it is not hitting on all cylinders but it fired up!

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:55 pm
by TomW1
Dang Craig, that is going to be a pretty boat with the Kiwi Grip. You will get that Yamaha 2st up and running in no time they are nearly indestructible.

How is your weather going to be down there the end of the of the week, we are supposed to have 20's in the days and single digits at night on Thursday and Friday. Glad NO EXCUSE doesn't have to go through another winter like this.

Tom

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:56 pm
by cape man
More pics when I have light and we pull the plastic curtains... getting close.
20221219_173718.jpg
20221219_173725.jpg

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:54 pm
by Fuzz
Is that a hand winch for pulling the anchor? Would work pretty good for a bow cleat too.
Nice for you that you can work on the dory year around. All I can see of my dory is a hump in the snow :cry:

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:28 pm
by TomW1
Looks really nice Craig. Tom Fuzz as I recall there are two cleats behind the winch, but we will see.

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:24 am
by Jeff
Nice work Cape Man & Team!!!! Jeff M.

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:46 am
by cape man
Put new spark plugs in the engine, have a water pump coming today or tomorrow, drained and replaced the 2 stroke oil, and will replace the lower unit lube as well. The guys are putting the hardware, hatches, and gauges back on and we hope to relaunch on Christmas or the next day.

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:41 pm
by Fuzz
We are going to need pictures of the two dories running together. And of course the race results...........you know it will happen :P

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:50 pm
by TomW1
I agree with you Fuzz but with equal amounts of fuel can't have NO EXCUZE loaded down with 40 gallons of gas. :lol: Tom

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:10 am
by cape man
It will be bitter cold (for here) and windy, but we're shooting for a Saturday relaunch in the lower part of the Alafia River which has some full speed zones. Yes there will be a test of which boat is faster. Larry blew past me in Boca Grande but I was running a 40 on Clara back then. No Excuse is lighter, has a 3 blade prop, and myth has it that a 2 stroke engine is faster. Clara doesn't have a T top (which could add a lot on a windy day) and a hydraulic jack plate that I can dial in for speed. It will be interesting and a little fun too!

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:15 am
by Jaysen
cape man wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:10 ammyth has it that a 2 stroke engine is faster.
I mean... technically they are. Mostly in the get-up-to-speed space (low rpm torque) and max RPM. If you have the same rev and torque limiters... doesn't matter.

With that cold, just make sure to warm them up longer than normal before laying into them.

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:04 am
by Jeff
Have fun Cape Man!!! Jeff M.

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:39 am
by cape man
20221222_092635.jpg
20221222_092603.jpg

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:18 pm
by Jeff
Nice Cape Man!!! Jeff M.

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:50 pm
by cape man
We could have used another quart of EMC Quantum Key West White, but it is all sealed up.

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:14 pm
by cape man
So I'll start the betting...1/4 mile...Clara or No Excuse?

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:54 pm
by OrangeQuest
Money on Clara.

Did the plugs make No Excuse run better?

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:01 pm
by cape man
Have not restarted her with new plugs or fuel coming from her tank. Fingers crossed.

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:14 pm
by VT_Jeff
Man, tough choice! Lower weight + Tee top or heavier without........

1/4 mile, I'll favor the light boat. I dont think the wind resistance will have time to play a role. In a longer race, in anything but a tail wind, Clara.

Can i do that? Bet both sides?

Looks great, in any case: fast, amazing work.

That winch looks spooky familiar, eh Jaysen?

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:41 pm
by cape man
The great thing is owning both horses in the race...

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:37 pm
by Fuzz
My bet is on No Excuse. Been my experience same hp and the two strokes will run off and hide. Problem is they seem to hide at the nearest fuel stop. I know you will not handicap one over the other :roll:

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:16 am
by pee wee
She looks ready to run and eat some fish!

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:33 pm
by cape man
Postponing due to carborator issues... :(

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:14 pm
by cape man
Lower unit lube definitely needed a change.
20221223_103713.jpg
We had the reg numbers printed on reflective vinyl. Had the pro put them on.
20221223_100918.jpg
With a flash during the day! Should add some safety at night and the wide vinyl covers the bad paint areas on the bow.
20221223_122716.jpg

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:17 pm
by TomW1
Thank you, Craig. Tom

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:17 pm
by cape man
Tomorrow is the day. $434 to get the 3 carbs rebuilt. Tried myself and gave up after two screws that wouldn't budge on the first one. Found a shop that turned them around in a day. Hopefully I remember how to put them back on ! Fingers crossed!

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:16 am
by cape man
Victory is mine!

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:45 am
by cape man
They forgot to sand and paint the small hatch under the steering wheel. Gives us a sense of where we started... 8)
20221228_094257.jpg

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:14 pm
by OrangeQuest
cape man wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:16 am Victory is mine!
That is purring a lot better. Can I change my bet now?

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:59 pm
by cape man
Going...
20221228_152626.jpg

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:15 pm
by Fuzz
That right there is a heart warming picture :!:

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:40 pm
by Jeff
Congratulations Cape Man!!!! Great achievement!!!!

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:20 am
by cape man
There was a time of angst when we first tried to open her up with it bogging down. It was revving fine in neutral but would not run under a load. Ended up trimming it up until the prop broke free and then trimming it back down. It took two times for whatever was clogged to break free and off she went! We were hitting 25 mph and turning 5500 rpms with 4 men on board.

Spray rails...need spray rails...

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:12 am
by VT_Jeff
Choke stuck open maybe?

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:55 pm
by cape man
Who knows...the carbs were in horrible shape so could have been a number of things before them.

Start your engine regularly and if it is going to sit for months (or years!) disconnect the fuel while running and let the carbs run dry. Even with non-ethanol fuel it will gum up if it sits too long.

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:33 pm
by TomW1
Nice, cven have some fishing rods on her. :D

Tom

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:25 pm
by piperdown
Warms my heart seeing her run again!

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:33 pm
by Fuzz
cape man wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:20 am There was a time of angst when we first tried to open her up with it bogging down. It was revving fine in neutral but would not run under a load. Ended up trimming it up until the prop broke free and then trimming it back down. It took two times for whatever was clogged to break free and off she went! We were hitting 25 mph and turning 5500 rpms with 4 men on board.

Spray rails...need spray rails...
I remember Larry writing that his only regret with No Excuse was not putting splash rails on her. Are you still happy with the ones you put on your dory? Will you do the same for this one?

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:06 pm
by cape man
I have some mahogany left over from Hermine (thanks again Richard!) and actually may make some "temporary " rails this weekend and just bolt them on for the trip next week. Yes, I'm happy with the ones I put on Clara. Amazing what 3/4 of an inch sticking out can do! Was a definite deja vu running yesterday with the water shooting up the sides. I copied Larry during my build and agreed with him the boat looked better without the spray rails, but after years of taking spray in a cross wind added them. Jacques put them in the plans for a reason!

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:22 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Great to see “No Excuse” up and running again!
I agree on the spray rails, that boat is literally wetter than my XF-20. I about drowned in it at Boca Grande.
That said, I’d nix temporary spray rails. Your son is plenty tough enough to handle a weekend of spray at the cape. 8)
Good luck on the trip, wish I could go this year…

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:06 pm
by TomW1
Yep, definitely need to add the spray rails. :lol:

Tom

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:20 am
by cape man
Pics to come (I did not take a single one) but No Excuse made about a 70 mile trip this week in southwestern Everglades National Park hauling 3 men and too much gear out to Cape Sable and beyond.

Clara smoked her in a 1/4 mile race. 8) The hydraulic jack plate and a 4 blade prop were cheating...

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:25 am
by VT_Jeff
cape man wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:20 am Pics to come (I did not take a single one) but No Excuse made about a 70 mile trip this week in southwestern Everglades National Park hauling 3 men and too much gear out to Cape Sable and beyond.

Clara smoked her in a 1/4 mile race. 8) The hydraulic jack plate and a 4 blade prop were cheating...
Incredible rehab!

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:42 pm
by Fuzz
Must have been really neat to have them both out running together.

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:55 pm
by cape man
There was a couple of very warm feelings watching the son and his friends taking her out for an adventure and seeing the two boats anchored together. I'm very glad we did this even though I already don't use the boats I own enough. I have been thinking of "Cracker" Larry Teuton too much though... 8)

Pictures to come...

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:08 pm
by Fuzz
You knew from the start that every time you looked at the boat you would think of Larry. But the fact that your friend Larry was the driving reason you went and got the boat. Two sides of the same coin but it is a good coin.

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:59 am
by cape man
no excuse.jpg
No Excuse on Cape Sable
great race.JPG
great race.JPG (32.54 KiB) Viewed 1660 times
1/4 mile race results....

clara and no excuse.JPG
clara and no excuse.JPG (22.84 KiB) Viewed 1660 times
The two girls resting on the beach.

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:49 pm
by cape man
20230102_131853.jpg
Found one of her running out with a load.

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:03 pm
by Fuzz
Looks like Clara is running much flatter with less rooster tail than NoExcuse. What is your best guess for this?
Pictures are great! Hope you had a great time. Weather looked a little better than my -10 this morning.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:34 am
by TomW1
She looks great Craig in her element. May you and your son have many good years with her. :D Tom

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:26 pm
by Jeff
Great stuff Cape Man!!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:16 pm
by Fuzz
Anybody know why our flat bottom dories all seem to want to run around with their nose in the air?
Capemans dory is about the only one I have seen running pretty flat.

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:53 pm
by Jaysen
It would be interesting to see where the LCG is “empty” and “running weight”. I bet his is further forward.

Then there is simple motor trim. One little grain of sand or tweak to zero can make a huge difference.

And then he actually spilled the real secret. 4 blade prop. Jack plate. And most importantly, he knows how to make that boat go! I think he’s just dialed it in perfectly.

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:21 am
by cape man
It's the hydraulic jack and the 4 blade prop that is dialed in. Fully trimmed down, I can fully raise the plate once up on plane and you can hear the prop starting to cavitate but it always has at least two blades holding. I pick up at east 2 mph quickly and there's very little of the motor in the water. Still pumps water.

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:44 am
by cape man
The guys took her out last weekend. The fishing was slow but the boat ran great and they had a blast!
35473.jpeg
35475.jpeg
Was reading an online article and this popped up...
Screenshot_20230310_200237_Chrome.jpg
Made me smile BIG! That picture was when Larry went to Looe Key.

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:15 am
by Jaysen
I always feel like adds are huge windows into the psyche of readers… if your reading this you need…

To build a boat and get outside!

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:06 am
by cape man
Well we may not be completely done... After their last outing we found a large patch of paint coming up just above the outlet for the bait well. It came off all the way to the wood. Pulled it off to where it started getting a little hard and stopped. Sanded everything lightly and coated it with neat epoxy, using a chip brush, shoving the epoxy into the edges, hoping to get some adhesion around the edges. Plan is to add Quick Fair and paint it red like the sawfish scar. Anyone asks and we'll say we are repainting her red, just a little at a time...
20230319_115638.jpg

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:22 pm
by TomW1
Dan, sorry to hear that. That corner was exposed to the sun most often. Tom