FS14LS Build in Waco, TX

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS14LS Build in Waco, TX

Post by pee wee »

VT_Jeff wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:33 pm Gaps are no problem and almost always desirable. seal edges with raw epoxy and fill any gaps with thickened epoxy before taping.
I don't think tape is required over puzzle joints, but I'd fill the gaps with epoxy & woodflour while gluing together. It may be awkward to do, but I'd spread the peanut butter mix on the edges of the ply before assembling, or at least wiggle the pieces so you can get the epoxy mix all through the joint. If the pieces are able to shift out of alignment, get a straight edge over the joint before it sets up.
Hank

Josh_From_TX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Josh_From_TX »

Well, that was stressful…first time mixing epoxy in anything more than an ounce at a time…but it’s done! Got all the pieces joined and the first two transom pieces laminated.

Lessons learned that all you veteran builders will say, “duh!” to:

1. Mix in small batches
2. Get the epoxy on the wood quick
3. A $.50 mixing cup is better to waste than 8oz. Of $100/gal epoxy!
4. Don’t try to do too many pieces with a single batch of epoxy
4. See lesson 1

Thanks for the help so far…I’m so happy to finally be started on assembly. Have a great weekend!
Attachments
E80BBA11-D2A5-4B42-9FF9-F0EF8B94C9FE.jpeg

Josh_From_TX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Josh_From_TX »

Got the frame pretty much built. One question…two of the frames are a little bent so the curve on the outside edge. The portion over the strongbacks is square and flat, but the “wings” are a little warped. Do I need to figure out a way to straighten this out, or will it be ok? Thanks.
Attachments
A3BDD604-1812-4181-B26A-60C1B37BDE98.jpeg
EE1693D5-3373-43EE-849A-604428E2A029.jpeg

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

I don't think it will change the shape of the hull if the ends of a couple molds are out of position by a quarter of an inch. I'd probably straighten them out if it was me, but then I sometimes get caught up in details and don't spend my time wisely!
Hank

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Not worry it for now you can straiten up when you put them back in after glassing the inside. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Josh_From_TX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Josh_From_TX »

Took some time off for Thanksgiving. Finally getting back to the build and making progress slowly. I have a question - do I need to glue the transom edges to the inside ends of the hull panels (flat on flat) during the stitching process? …or is it sufficient to fill edges where transom meets hull with thickened epoxy like the rest of the hull seams? Thanks for the patience with all my questions.
Attachments
ED4AE963-BC98-4022-948F-C738635465E3.jpeg

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

I temp-screwed all my panels to the transom to keep them from moving while I welded.

Reading my own notes on this:

"On the transom, there was a natural gap on the inside but the outside edges were flush, so I used the syringe to fill the gap on the inside."

from viewtopic.php?t=64576&start=50
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Josh, be super-careful about the splay of the side panels. Adjust the position/stitches so that they lay as naturally as possible against the forms and transom, all the way to the sheer. I welded and taped and glassed with them splayed and it was a bit of a nightmare getting them corrected.

Edit: Occurs to me now that it may help to shave the corners off the molds if they are interfering, and you may need a wider gap on the centerline, which is fine. Whatever it takes to get those side panels hanging correctly.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Josh_From_TX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Josh_From_TX »

Great advice...thanks. The picture I posted is just a random snapshot of where I am...it seems that when I make adjustments the panels will lay flat. I thought about screwing the panels to the transom but just want to make sure the weld between the hull and transom is as strong as can be. Having not built a boat before, I assume the transom is the area where the most stress will be.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Josh_From_TX wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:48 am Great advice...thanks. The picture I posted is just a random snapshot of where I am...it seems that when I make adjustments the panels will lay flat. I thought about screwing the panels to the transom but just want to make sure the weld between the hull and transom is as strong as can be. Having not built a boat before, I assume the transom is the area where the most stress will be.
"but just want to make sure the weld between the hull and transom is as strong as can be"

Good instinct. That joint will get glassed to infinity and beyond, so the weld just needs to fill the gap.