FS14LS Build in Waco, TX

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: FS14LS Build in Waco, TX

Post by bamaguy0 »

pee wee wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:24 pm
VT_Jeff wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:33 pm Gaps are no problem and almost always desirable. seal edges with raw epoxy and fill any gaps with thickened epoxy before taping.
I don't think tape is required over puzzle joints, but I'd fill the gaps with epoxy & woodflour while gluing together. It may be awkward to do, but I'd spread the peanut butter mix on the edges of the ply before assembling, or at least wiggle the pieces so you can get the epoxy mix all through the joint. If the pieces are able to shift out of alignment, get a straight edge over the joint before it sets up.
One point of correction is those hull panels should be taped on the inside for CNC Kits.

“The long panels are assembled with puzzle joints and the puzzle joint is covered on the inside face with one layer of fiberglass tape. Later, the hull will be fiberglassed on the outside and that layer will cover the puzzle joint.”

Josh, you did do that right?

Josh_From_TX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Josh_From_TX »

“One point of correction is those hull panels should be taped on the inside for CNC Kits.”

Actually, I haven’t taped the insides of the puzzle joints…yet. They are holding together fine as-is and I plan to tape them when I flip the hull, after glassing the outside. Reason being is that the tape may create a rigid spot whereas now, the plywood has a nice continuous curve…I’ll be keeping an eye on the strength and integrity of the joint as I start to weld the seams.

Josh_From_TX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Josh_From_TX »

Things went well in stitching everything…frame appears to be “fairly” straight, as the hull panels are sitting flat on frames. Except for the bow tip. As pictured, the bow needs to be pulled down to the deck level. Should I just zip tie or wire the bow tip pieces to the bow mold in order to pull the whole thing down to the proper plane?
Attachments
BD01D408-DD52-4947-A12D-4AFF413AB401.jpeg
DF409C8A-E892-42D7-B3F5-DB052214FB24.jpeg

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

I taped mine inside and out (not puzzle joint) and it didn’t seem to affect flexibility any noticeable amount. Either way if you’ve gotten the side panels on the jig then you’re probably fine.

Regarding the bow, I don’t recall mine pulling up that bad, but I did drill some holes into the bow mold and ran the bow zip ties thru it as well to make sure it was pulled down. I have seen a FS14LS for sale on FB Marketplace that looked like that happened to theirs and they didn’t correct it. Do what you can to get it right. You can fix small errors in the sheer line somewhat when you do a rub rail, but not that much.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Something definitely odd here. Lets break it down before you glue anything. Can you put a measuring tape on the side panels at the bow? Is the "top" of the bow mold level with the tops of your frames/sheer? That looks like some serious droopy bow, which, on a flat sheer boat, will be an issue.
Attachments
Screenshot_20221204-183416_Chrome.jpg
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Just looked at your bow mold photo and it looks good. So the issue is elsewhere.

I might re lay the panels, side panels first, ensure the sheer is flat back to front, then add the bottom panels and see where they lay.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Josh_From_TX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Josh_From_TX »

VT_Jeff wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:51 pm Just looked at your bow mold photo and it looks good. So the issue is elsewhere.

I might re lay the panels, side panels first, ensure the sheer is flat back to front, then add the bottom panels and see where they lay.
Ok, I’ll play with the panels some more. So what I’m understanding is that I shouldn’t have to force the bow tip down?

I’m glad zip ties are cheap!

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Does it sit down with minimal force or do you really have to push on it for it to flatten out? Personally I wouldn’t worry with a small amount, but something does seem off.

One thing you could do is check the panel to the plans. If the curvature is off from a puzzle joint misalignment or something that could be the culprit as well. It wouldn't take much.

Josh_From_TX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Josh_From_TX »

bamaguy0 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:13 pm Does it sit down with minimal force or do you really have to push on it for it to flatten out? Personally I wouldn’t worry with a small amount, but something does seem off.
The force is more than minimal, however, as I keep making small adjustments, the panels come closer to lining up properly. I zip tied the tips of the panels to the bow mold in a couple of places and it is now very close to being lined up. The sheer line is now level and the panels are almost perfectly flat against the frames everywhere. I need to work on getting all the front panel edges to meet nicely at the tip of the bow. My work time for today is done, so I will do some more fine tuning and post another picture the next time I get to work on it. Thanks again, Josh.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Josh_From_TX wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:15 pm The sheer line is now level and the panels are almost perfectly flat against the frames everywhere.
That sounds pretty encouraging, nice work!