FS14LS Build in Waco, TX

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Josh_From_TX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

FS14LS Build in Waco, TX

Post by Josh_From_TX »

Well, here goes...finally ordered the plans for my first build. Thanks already for the welcoming and supportive attitude from Reid. I look forward to this process.

First things first...kit or cut at home? The only lumber I can get semi-locally is Meranti, so cutting at home will immediately add 50+ lbs to the hull from what I can discern. I'd like to go as light as possible because I know I'll use more epoxy being a first-time build. I don't need to be ultralight, but planning to run a 15 or 20 hp and would like to save weight where possible in the build.

The plywood cost for the kit will be more than double what I can get the meranti locally for. Is 50ish lbs weight savings worth the extra $1,000+ in plywood for the okume kit?

I'd love to hear some opinions from experienced builders...thanks!

Josh

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS14LS Build in Waco, TX

Post by VT_Jeff »

Welcome Josh!

Good question on the Meranti vs kit. A third option may be just the plywood from BBC but not a pre-cut kit, not sure what the savings there would be if any. If it were me, I'd probably spend the extra $$ on the Okume. Cutting out the panels is a fun, rewarding part of the build but it's a relatively quick, small step in the overall scheme of things. If I were to build another I'd probably start with a kit.

If you're gonna go with a 15, plan on keeping it very, very light, which is a good way to go anyway. I did some calcs on the weight of the BOM on this boat and by my calc, the listed design weight of the hull is low by about 50%. You can run your own calcs and see what you get.

Jeff
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Josh_From_TX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Josh_From_TX »

VT_Jeff wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:31 pm I did some calcs on the weight of the BOM on this boat and by my calc, the listed design weight of the hull is low by about 50%.
Thanks, Jeff. Your posts about hull weight and your calculations were what got me thinking about this. Theoretically, the meranti would add ~55lbs over okume to the plywood weight on the BOM. With a hull weight of 190, that's adding about 29% (with no waste factored in) ... looking at it this way makes it seem like more than "just a few extra pounds." Even with a baseline okume hull weight of 290, those extra lbs. of Meranti could be 15% - 20% added to the weight.

Also, I don't think I'd miss any fun by not drawing and cutting it myself! I'm attracted to the time savings of a kit as well.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Josh_From_TX wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:34 pm Also, I don't think I'd miss any fun by not drawing and cutting it myself! I'm attracted to the time savings of a kit as well.
Yep, agreed.

Motors, trolling motors, trailers, electronics, batteries, etc: These things can all be easily upgraded later. The hull cannot, so it's traditionally not a great choice to shave cost.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Agree with Jeff in the overall scheme of things the plywood hull will account for only 10-15% of the boats cost. Then you start adding on the fiberglass the paint the hardware the motor, etc, etc. So, it is your choice whether to buy the kit to save the time and save some weight and time or buy the meranti locally and cut it out yourself. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I bought some okume from a lumber yard in Austin a few years ago. Can't recall the name but it's in north austin, east of I 35. Also there's a good one in Houston that may well carry Okume. Might be a day trip would save a grand. The cut out is no big deal, just a weekend or two. Worth looking even if you go with the kit 'cuz for whatever reason you may find out later you want one more piece.

Dougster

Josh_From_TX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Josh_From_TX »

Dougster,

Thanks for the information. The Austin supplier is called Fine Lumber...they don't carry Okume, but from what I've read they used to.

I hadn't looked in Houston until I read your post. Houston is about 3 hours away from where I am, so a very doable option. I did a little research and found a supplier there with Okume in stock...Houston Hardwoods.

Thanks for leading me in this direction!

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Josh_From_TX wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:58 pm Dougster,

Thanks for the information. The Austin supplier is called Fine Lumber...they don't carry Okume, but from what I've read they used to.

I hadn't looked in Houston until I read your post. Houston is about 3 hours away from where I am, so a very doable option. I did a little research and found a supplier there with Okume in stock...Houston Hardwoods.

Thanks for leading me in this direction!
They are who I buy my plywood from. They have some really nice wood there and are proud of it. The plywood is close to the same price as BBC... just a little cheaper. They are less than a mile from me.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Josh_From_TX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Josh_From_TX »

All the info so far is very helpful. I now have two good options for okume plywood that will keep the boat light...kit or the supplier in Houston. While I consider that decision, I also want to plan for the eventual installation of the outboard.

I'm new to the building and outboard sizing game, so should I build the boat with the transom designed for a 20" motor, even if I plan to get a 15" motor? I have read that 15" doesn't always mean exactly 15" on an outboard. I'd like to keep this as simple, light, and clean as possible, so I want to avoid using a jack plate. Do I need to know the exact measurements of the motor I'll use prior to finalizing the dimensions of the transom?

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Easier to cut the transom down than to build it back up. If you do not know the length of the motor you are going to get, then build it for a long motor. Once you get the motor you can then measure it and trim the transom, if needing it, to that size.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne