FS18/LM18 Build time

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Skinnydipper

FS18/LM18 Build time

Post by Skinnydipper »

I know this question can vary drastically but what is a general realistic build time for the FS or LM18 bare bones tiller? Spec sheet lists 70 hrs but most of the builds I see take years. I have a wife and kids and full time job. However, Im pretty obsessive. Never built a boat before but I am a marine mechanic with decent wood working skills.
Thanks.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS18/LM18 Build time

Post by pee wee »

Six months.
Hank

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Yes, I agree with Pee Wee that they can be built in 6 months but with your family obligations and work I think I would say 6-12 months!! Jeff

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Hours spent building a boat does not include time spent waiting for epoxy to cure, paint to dry and so on. Once you get things ready to glue or coat, then there can be 24 hours or more for those things to be ready for the next step. Also doesn't include interruptions of the work itself. Family obligations and work also will play a big part of the build. How much of your free time do you spend with family now and how much of that time do you want to give up and ask them to give up?

70 hours would be a builder that has a build or two under his/her belt. In the beginning there is the learning curve of working with epoxy that some of the normal wood working skills don't apply, like tight joints verses gaps. Excessive use of epoxy for fillets causing longer sanding and prep times for the next steps. Some experienced builders will fillets the joints, lay tape and then lay the glass all before the epoxy is fully cured and then can continue the next day. The beginner may do each step in single free time work sections and will take a few weeks to complete those same tasks and have to sand and rough up the surface again to continue. Even if you can build a bare bones boat in 70 hours, where do you find that time?
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I agree it depends on the time you are going to have to give to it. There are times you will have to wait for the epoxy to dry. To save some time you time you might want to buy the CNC kit. Family and work are a big factor and how much the wife is willing to give you is important. :lol: One thing you might consider if you have not bought the plans is the LM18 would allow you to take your wife and kid out for a cruise on a calm day. :D Most have been built without the tunnel.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan »

For me, “thinking time” = 2 x “building time” ! :D

SkinnyDipperTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by SkinnyDipperTX »

Thank you for the replies. I could pretty easily put in 20 hrs a week. As long as I cook dinner and help put the kiddos down I can usually do whatever I want during the night. I don’t require much sleep once I am in project mode. However, after remodeling/rebuilding multiple houses,classic cars,vintage trailers etc. I have learned I lose interest after about a year. As long as I can finish In that time frame all is well. Pretty sure Im going to pull the trigger on the LM18. Thanks again.

cape man

Post by cape man »

A man with your skills can do it easily within a year especially if you stick with the bare bones, tiller steering concept. Go for it! You'll only save a day or two of work with the CNC kit and again, with all the projects and skills you list you can cut the ply yourself. For me that was the coolest part of the process - taking sheets of plywood and turning them into pieces of a puzzle that makes a boat.
You're going to hear it if you ask - don't use anything but BS 1088 marine ply and stick to the specs on thickness for the various components (bottom, side panels, decks, etc).
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Why are you thinking of building a boat? Is it for the enjoyment? Is it to save money? (you won't) What kind and what size of boat you want to end up with will dictate how long it will take to build. Instead of labor intensive hatches with gutters you can have access openings in the side, tiller steer instead of console, etc. What kind of finish you will be satisfied with also makes a big difference- want that showroom mirror shine? That's a lot of time fairing and sanding, fairing and more sanding, while a "work boat" level of finish will perform just as well and be much quicker to complete.

Some guys enjoy the build process and don't mind fussing over seemingly endless details, while others git 'er done and plunked into the water in record time. If your main concern is how quickly it can go, then maybe you are in the second camp. Nobody else can answer that question for you.

Actually, if you want to get through to a finished boat the fastest- buy one! If you decide to start a build, post your progress here with photos, and you'll get help when you need it in the form of experienced advice. The other thing to keep in mind is- try to do something on the boat every day, even if it's a small thing, and it will get finished. You'll look at your creation and can be proud!

One more thing: new outboards have been hard to come by lately, it's sometimes taking six months to get one, so plan accordingly.
Hank

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

pee wee wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:04 am Why are you thinking of building a boat? Is it for the enjoyment? Is it to save money? (you won't) What kind and what size of boat you want to end up with will dictate how long it will take to build. Instead of labor intensive hatches with gutters you can have access openings in the side, tiller steer instead of console, etc. What kind of finish you will be satisfied with also makes a big difference- want that showroom mirror shine? That's a lot of time fairing and sanding, fairing and more sanding, while a "work boat" level of finish will perform just as well and be much quicker to complete.
There is one more reason... the boat you want is simply unobtainium or you want a specific feature. In my case it was a sailing dinghy set up for fishing. For the money I spent I could not buy a hull to modify and hence ruin. I did learn to love building (but not doing finish work) and now seem to be the local "fix a boat" guy.

To pee wee's point
1. Figure out your why
2. Figure out your what
3. Figure out your how
4. Get busy.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.