GV11, 20HP, 6/2020, Andrew

Post your launchings, and post-launch adventures here. Please keep the to plan/date format.
acadams
New Poster
New Poster

GV11, 20HP, 6/2020, Andrew

Post by acadams »

Garvey 11, bought the pre-cut wood kit. Very happy with the boat and would recommend BBC to anyone interested. So much of what I thought was "magic" in boatbuilding turns out to be something I could do.

I meant for this boat to be the dinghy for a Puget/BC/AK motor yacht, so I wanted to make her stronger than stock. I'm replacing a RIB, because the RIB has too little room inside and because the risk of deflation in hostile Alaska waters has prevented me from enjoying dinghying as much as I'd like.

- Added 13oz biaxial cloth inside and out, so she's heavy but stout. The cloth overlaps at centerline, with more overlap as you go forward.
- I used a piece of mahogany decking to strengthen the top edge of the transom and a smaller piece just below so there would be more 'meat' for the engine mounting bolts.
- I used ripped strips of treated 2x4 to strengthen the gunwales outside, and the same inside except where I was able to use extra wood from the kit to make something wider (see pics)
- The middle seat has two supports due to an error in the cut-wood kit.
- There is a piece of treated ewp 5/4 decking under the middle seat, fiberglassed to each side and to the two supports. The supplied seat sits on top of that.

I felt a steering wheel had several advantages over a tiller-steer boat. The wheel is safer in inexperienced hands, especially in a boat with a high power/weight ratio like this one. If a novice loses control of the tiller, the boat may flip or maneuver so suddenly as to eject the passengers. The wheel moves the driver forward, which is useful in a boat with an engine a little heavier than spec.

I have three lift points, two at the stern and one near the bow on centerline, for the dinghy davits on the back of my boat. I also added a strong point at the midships gunwale on which to clamp a pot puller.

Love the 20HP power-tilt Tohatsu, which seems to run without ever using any fuel. Bought the pitchiest prop I could, but she still redlines at 27mph with one person in the boat. Not sure how much faster she could go with a prop with more pitch. Maybe 20% faster. With two people she'll do 23 and can tow a light skier. I haven't put the keel on yet, so she drifts sideways through turns at speed like a car at the racetrack.

Things I'd do differently:

- Rear seat and wheel more forward. You can see in the pics she's stern-heavy. Moving the gas tank forward will help.
- Less room between rear and middle seats, so it's easier to reach the wheel.
- I've been in a garvey 10 that had sponsons, and that's an interesting idea.

Questions are welcome. Photos in the next post.

Andrew

acadams
New Poster
New Poster

Re: GV11, 20HP, 6/2020, Andrew

Post by acadams »

TCS_1577.jpg
TCS_1570.jpg
TCS_1566.jpg
TCS_1565.jpg
TCS_1545.jpg
TCS_1542.jpg
TCS_1531.jpg
TCS_1515.jpg
6-26 Launching Impatient (28 of 29).jpg
6-26 Launching Impatient (23 of 29).jpg
6-26 Launching Impatient (22 of 29).jpg
6-26 Launching Impatient (2 of 29).jpg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work!! She looks great!! I bet she is fast with that 20HP on her!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Nice skiff. What is the mother ship? How do you hoist it aboard?

acadams
New Poster
New Poster

Post by acadams »

The mothership is a Willard 40, which has davits on her round stern that are rated to 500 lbs. I'll have to clip the cables to the davits into place, scramble over the stern, then winch her up, because we'd be pushing 500 with me still in the dinghy. It's not ideal. I could use the mast and boom for the steadying sail to winch her onto the flybridge, but she's take up a lot of room up there that we need for lounging, cleaning fish, and storing traps and trash/recycling. Never as much space aboard as one might like!

The GV11 was a recommendation from a friend who built one to hang on davits on the back of a Nordic Tug 37. He's actually built several - each time he finishes one, he says, he has ideas on how to make the next one better.

Here's the mothership from the dinghy - davits are lowered at the stern.
12045273_10153654004936419_6177416192640041429_o_10153654004936419.jpg

acadams
New Poster
New Poster

Post by acadams »

Thanks very much! I thought that, if 10 horsepower was good, 20 must be better! And I wanted a dinghy with some range that I felt I could trust. In fact, the Tohatsu dealer didn't want to sell me wheel steering unless they rigged it. I said I needed to do the rigging in case something broke in Alaska - I'd need to know how to fix it. They agreed and relented. The rigging in the pictures is kind of temporary until I can build a proper console.

Jeff wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:24 pm Nice work!! She looks great!! I bet she is fast with that 20HP on her!! Jeff

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Yep getting out of the skiff and on to the mother ship can be a trick. And as you get older the trick gets harder to pull off every time. Those Willards are nice. Guy from my area just ran his 30 footer down to Mexico solo. He said it was an easy trip so that speaks highly for them.

acadams
New Poster
New Poster

Post by acadams »

We've been very happy with our Willard. The Willard 30 has been to Bermuda and back from NC; the Willard 36 to Hawaii and back from CA, so the boat is more seaworthy than her crew. As a ballasted full-displacement keeled single-engine hull, she's slow and rolly, but keeps the up side up, has lots of storage below the waterline, and fully protects her prop. Many simplifying design decisions, like a single fuel tank amidships, so there aren't any trim changes as one uses fuel. And the blackwater tank is at the forward waterline, so major damage there might just open that tank instead of sinking the boat. Would recommend.

Kasilof looks delightfully 'out there' on the sat photo, but I don't see a marina - where do people park their boats?

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

acadams wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:59 am Kasilof looks delightfully 'out there' on the sat photo, but I don't see a marina - where do people park their boats?
For larger boats folks anchor up in the rivers in the summer. The rivers will freeze over in winter so you either haul your boat or move it further south. Homer is about 80 miles south of here. They have a good harbor that is normally ice free. It will freeze over for short periods but not enough to hurt most hulls.

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

Nice build, looks like a super utilitarian and capable skiff! Grocery getter, watersports, diving or taxi .

I've been considering building a mini GV for my 6hp.

It doesn't look to me so stern heavy at rest; I think the hull shape and shearline make it look bow high while running, but the parallel buttocks portion look to run pretty flat at speed.

Ballpark how many build hours do you have in it?