BBC Forum maintenance needed

Please use this forum to tell us about problems you are having with the forum software, or the new site. This lets us keep the boat building discussions free from clutter.

Your comments and tips are appreciated.

When should we schedule the 2d read only window?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:11 am

Whenever BBC chooses
64%
Start on Friday night (weekends we should all be building!)
16%
Weekdays in case we need to ask questions while we are building
20%

Total votes: 25

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

BBC Forum maintenance needed

Post by Jaysen »

There is an upgrade to the BBC forum software. This upgrade has some security components that I feel should be prioritized to protect BBC and the users. The upgrade will require that I take the forum offline for an extended period of time. During this time the forums will be READ ONLY (you can view but not post). There are complications created by the galleries (both the PHPBB and Coppermine) that require the extension of the downtime. The "read only" window is expected to be 48hrs at this point.

The question for the forum user base is "when do we do this?"

Please respond to the survey and ask any questions on this thread.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: BBC Forum maintenance needed

Post by fallguy1000 »

Do the work at your convenience. Probably a Friday night gives you lots of time to address before Monday am.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

cape man

Post by cape man »

I can live a few days without it whenever you decide is best for you.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

While I voted for Friday night, I know you have a job to take into account. So do it when it is convenient to you. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I voted for Friday night, but I "work at the pleasure of Jeff" who has suggested that we give you all a voice.

Here's the deal. We are running out of space on the server. Jeff provides the forum free of charge and let's us all talk about anything, even non-BBC related stuff (covid, RW designs, houses, Alaska, etc). I also know that threads without pictures are ... less useful? This means I'm trying to balance 3 things:
1. Jaysen being awake enough to focus on #2 and #3.
2. Don't run up a bill for Jeff/BBC.
3. Do lose any pictures!

Jeff is good with whatever we decide. The stats say that we don't post much 6p Friday till GB/Barraman up date us early Monday. I see a LOT of reads but few posts over the weekend so I'm leaning toward that time. I'm leaving the poll open till next week just so others can chime in.

Again, my big thing here is not adding cost to Jeff or losing any of the pictures.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

As long as we know what is happening I bet 90% of us do not care when you do what needs to be done.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

All, Jaysen is doing a great job supporting all of us with the Forum. My choice is for him to do the upgrades when is most convenient for him!! Jeff

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Jeff wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:48 am All, Jaysen is doing a great job supporting all of us with the Forum. My choice is for him to do the upgrades when is most convenient for him!! Jeff
I 100% agree, as it should be.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne