Larger HM19

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Dargo
New Poster
New Poster

Larger HM19

Post by Dargo »

Good morning,

I’m sure this has been asked before in one fashion or another but I couldn’t really come up with it using the search function. So, forgive me if it’s been discussed. I have really loved the HM19 ever since its release. Unfortunately, it was far more than I could handle building let alone afford when I was younger. Now that I’m a big boy and my fixation with going as fast as possible is gone, comfort and efficiency are now the focus. I live in northern MN. We have amazing cruising grounds minutes away from my door. That being said, there are no oceans nearby. I don’t require the deep-V’s and high volume hulls the salt water guys do. I can appreciate a boat that can handle chop but most of the time just slow down to avoid the punishment. The boat will see some Lake Superior/Apostle Island cruise time. Like I said before though, under only the most favorable weather windows. I have no interest in pushing the limits with that body of water. I’m looking for something to explore these areas for a weekend or even a week or two at a time. My significant other and I don’t need an excessive amount of luxuries like full heads, showers, etc. I’m sure she would appreciate a port-a-potty. Ideally, I’d like the HM22! Picture the DE23 cabin on the HM style hull. Paired with maybe a 50hp four stroke? I’m not opposed to more if needed but would really like to stay under the 70-ish mark. We plan to get our lake time started early in the season and wrap up as late in the fall as possible. A fully enclosed pilothouse is a must. Something I can easily heat with a small wood stove. I don’t like the idea of propane on board. Most of the time an overnight will be just her and I. There is always a possibility of a guest or maybe two. A convertible settee would serve the purpose just fine. The absolute closest I can come is Devlin’s Dunlin 22 cruiser and the C-Dory 22 cruiser. The Dunlins interior arrangement is ok. Don’t need the head. The C-Dory is spot on but is unfortunately a production boat only. Has there ever been any discussion involving expanding the HM19 into a multi-size series? HM19, 22, and a 25 maybe? Sorry for such a long post. I wanted to give background as to how I arrived at this point. I appreciate any suggestions you can offer and am not opposed to reasonable alternatives.

Thanks,
Chris Dargontina
Cook, MN

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Larger HM19

Post by rick berrey »

The P19 has been scaled 10% to a P21 , both call for a 90hp . There are post on scaling the hmd19 , so I would say it would be ok to scale the HM19 . But scaling by 10% will add 33% vol. and should need an increase in hp , so a 70hp or 60hp to the low side . The Nova 23 ( NV23 ) is about 22'+ and requires a 50hp , DE23 50hp is at the low end . Either the NV23 or DE23 will give you the boat you want without the scaling issues and you save around 20hp . I would look at how to put an enclosed pilothouse on the NV23 and still keep it light enough for a 50hp . My 2 cents

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Thanks Rick, that is just what I was going to write: DE23 or NV23.
They will work perfectly well with a 50 HP but not get on plane.

Don't focus on the cabin looks and interior layout: those are interchangeable and we can help by supplying the cabin drawings of those boats.
No problem for the Porta Potty. For heat, a small woodstove would look nice but insulation is not easy. I had coal stove on a 40' sailboat and burned wood in it. The chimney and insulation was a challenge. I used a MrHeater on smaller baost: very safe, the propane tank is fixed to the heater, no hose leaks. Anyway, that are details easy to solve.

If you really want an HM21, you scale the HM19 by 10%. The flat bottom will require some extra fiberglass and thicker plywood. I will help with specs.
An enlarged HM19 will be very close to a DE23 in cost and labor. Why not build a vee hull for just a little more labor?
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Dargo
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Dargo »

You both make an excellent and valid argument. I really do like the DE23’s looks and capabilities. I guess I was going down the road of wondering if there was any economy to be had from a material standpoint as well as a boat that could potentially perform well with lower power being a flat bottom. I would like to have the ability to get on plane so if that comes with an increase in HP, I am ok with that. I saw the DE hull as more than I really needed initially. It sounds like there is not much to be saved or gained by sticking with the HM style hull as the overall length increases. Which would make good sense as to why we have not seen a larger version. Is there much difference between the DE and NV hull that would call for using one over the other? To my untrained eye they look identical.

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

I would say they are the same hulls , the NV should be a lighter build based on a smaller pilothouse and may give you a little more push with a 50hp built as per designed . I think the NV is more of a work boat / fishing boat -v- DE23 made to cruise / fish with some comfort,s . If you are going to bump up the hp then I would go with the DE for the comfort , as you get older the fishing will be less important than the comfort . There are DE builders around the forum , I would make another post based on the DE - v - NV .