Zest 14’

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Alext
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Zest 14’

Post by Alext »

I am nearing completion of a Quattro 16 beach cat by Woods design; which I didn’t post.
Waiting for logistics to deliver materials to continue. I decided to start to build a Zest 14’ dinghy,
also by Woods Design. (Oops that’s two).

A few days ago I cut out patterns from mdf and coated them with polyurethane.
I cut these with my finishing router.

Today the Baltic birch marine plywood arrived and I cut the sides and keel panels.

I’m building this dinghy for the grandson of a friend who donated the shop space
I’ve been using.
Last edited by Alext on Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone seems to be waiting for some deep thought or emotion
Someone to get the devotion of what they do

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Zest 14’

Post by Fuzz »

Pictures are not showing up for me :cry:

Alext
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Alext »

Hi. Sorry that was weird how the pics disappeared. Fixed.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Much better. That is a nice thing you are doing for your friend and his grandson.

Alext
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Alext »

I went out to my workshop today. Painted the first coat of polyurethane on the Quattro 16,
and made some progress on the Zest.

It’s starting to take shape. This is a dry fit, I think the shop is too small to build it inside of.
I’ll move it to another section of the workshop with a bigger doorway.

Alext
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Alext »

Interesting how winter passes, bringing ideas of how to improve projects, at a time when you can do little.
I was working on an idea for the mast.

The Dinghy mast sitting on the catamaran.

I haven’t seen this being done. My tubing has a max length of 2.5 meters (8 feet). The mast for this dinghy needs to be 6 meters. I found some aluminum pieces that will sleeve together. The larger piece is 65 mm outside diameter and 59 mm inside; 2 meters long. The smaller piece, (insert) is 58 mm outside diameter; 60 cm long. The two pieces sleeve together but still quite loose, will wobble and vibrate. I tried some coats of water based polyurethane to fill the gap. I fitted 2 2 meter lengths together. I thought they would slide apart later. The plan worked better than expected. The 4 meter length seems to be inseparable. I was just barely able to squeeze the 4 meter length out of the basement. This was last winter. Using PVC tube for sailways, I’m using epoxy mixed with wood flour to stick the PVC and aluminum together.

I read that PVC and aluminum don’t stick together well. This is correct. After testing I find that epoxy mixed with wood flour, I also used silica sand; work very well.

Aside from this I am almost finished the Zest hull. Still need to paint this back part, and paint the wings that fit on the sides.

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Nice improvisation for the mast! Looking forward to seeing the build progress - I'll be following along.

Good luck,

Mick
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

Alext
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Alext »

Inkeeping with the concept of the 50 foot boat. It looks not bad from 50 feet.
I still need to do some work on the mast. Rudder has been made and needs the rudder stock and tiller,
Wings need to be painted. Some touchups on the paint job. Rigging. Sail is ready to go.

Alext
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Alext »

The PVC tube as form for the sailways seems like a big fail. The PVC by itself of course is not strong enough.
I failed at wrapping FRP around the aluminum tube. I cut small 25mm diameter aluminum tube, using an angle grinder.
I have a slot from end to end, widened to 4mm and ground and filed smooth. The inner diameter is 17mm and the sail slides smoothly from end to end.

Alext
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Alext »