AD16 Owners near me?

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
canoe
New Poster
New Poster

AD16 Owners near me?

Post by canoe »

Hi there,

I think the AD16 looks like a great boat. I'm wondering if there are any AD16 owners near me who would be willing to let me take a look at their completed boat. I'm not looking to be taken out sailing, looking at it on the trailer (and hopefully climbing inside) would be great. I'm mostly hoping to get a first hand look at the size of the craft itself and the cabin as I'm quite tall. It would also be great to chat about the building process, sailing characteristics, etc.

I'm located in the Vancouver, BC area. Please let me know if anyone in this area or within a reasonable driving distance is willing to show me their AD16!

Thanks,

Alan

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: AD16 Owners near me?

Post by pee wee »

Seeing a boat in three dimensions is the best, but you can get some good information by using tape or chalk on pavement to draw out the overall size and the cockpit sole. You could even mock up a cabin with cardboard, more work but it should be informative. Third best is looking at photos of the AD16 that include people.

I suspect the majority of builders don't frequent the forum once their build is complete, so, good luck! I guess you've already looked through the build threads for someone near you that you could message?
Hank

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
I built my AD14 which is a shorter version of the AD16 and practically identical to it. I am definitely further away than a couple of hours by car but I can give you some idea of AD 16 and Ad 14 Builders in your area.
First there is George Vancouver who built a lovely AD16 and as far as I know he lives in Vancouver and often sails to Vancouver island. he posted here as registered forums user and his user name is das boot
Then there is a guy called Glen who used to post also here with users name bondo and I think he also lives in Vancouver and also sails with his perfect AD14 near Vancouver Island. His thread you might find under AD-14 and also AD 14.
Should You not be able to find George or Glen please contact me again. I could send you their email addresses in a personal message.
Greetings Karl

Here is a picture of bondo s finished boat:

and here is a picture of Georges boat :
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

The picture of Georges boat did not work on my previous post. I try again.

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

The picture of Georges boat did not work on my previous post. I try again.

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

I made a blunder I posted Georges boat twice while I wanted to tell you that both of them will show you their boats for sure. I think the city of Vancouver was named after Georges father and I hope he is still sailing across to Vancouver Island because he is a bit older than me and I am 76. Bondo built his boat in a tiny place and he is much younger than George and me and last that I communicated with him he told me he built a treehouse on an island where he can sail to get there with his AD14 and he is very tall the same as you. But if you build an AD14 or AD16 it is a boat for day sailing and not so much for accommodation. In my AD14 4 people 6 foot tall can lie out streched in the cabin but we have never tried it. I can tell you it is a lovely boat for a family and I am glad I built it and we were already sailing it with 4 grownups and 3 kids on it.
My family loves the boat and I can only suggest build it as long as you do not want to win a race, because the hull speed is not high.
Greetings Karl

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi

That you get an appetite to build an Adelie here is a picture of my AD14 on the day of the first sail.

Greetings from Karl ( Austria )

Should you fly to Sydney Australia in the near future there is another AD16 builder Salvatore who will show you his boat and he posted AD16 from down under. Read his posts and his reports about sailing in Sydney harbour.

canoe
New Poster
New Poster

Post by canoe »

gonandkarl wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:39 am First there is George Vancouver who built a lovely AD16 and as far as I know he lives in Vancouver and often sails to Vancouver island. he posted here as registered forums user and his user name is das boot
Then there is a guy called Glen who used to post also here with users name bondo and I think he also lives in Vancouver and also sails with his perfect AD14 near Vancouver Island. His thread you might find under AD-14 and also AD 14.
Should You not be able to find George or Glen please contact me again. I could send you their email addresses in a personal message.
Thanks very much for all the info, I'll try sending them a message.

canoe
New Poster
New Poster

Post by canoe »

gonandkarl wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:05 am But if you build an AD14 or AD16 it is a boat for day sailing and not so much for accommodation. In my AD14 4 people 6 foot tall can lie out streched in the cabin but we have never tried it. I can tell you it is a lovely boat for a family and I am glad I built it and we were already sailing it with 4 grownups and 3 kids on it.
My family loves the boat and I can only suggest build it as long as you do not want to win a race, because the hull speed is not high.
Greetings Karl
Good to know. I definitely would want to daysail and cruise in it solo for up to a week or so in camping style accomodations a few times each summer. I'm used to canoe camping so I would think of the cabin as an upgrade from a tent. I don't need to go fast but just want something small, safe and capable in the salish sea crusing area.

Seems to me there's lots of advantages to a small trailer boat. I've looked into getting an older inexpensive sailboat a few times but have run into many barriers including difficulty getting insurance (and therefore moorage) and difficulty with solo set up (raising a heavy mast, need for a large tow vehicle, etc.). I'm hoping the pros of a small, simple, lightweight boat outweigh the cons.

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
The pros outweigh the cons a lot with an AD14 or 16. I tow it with a small car and the trailer weight with the boat on it is 550 KG which is I think around 1000 pounds. Here in Austria mooring is very expensive and therefore it is easier to pull the boat out with the trailer and drive home after a days sail and park it for free at home. The mast is also easily stuck into the mast hole and if you make it lightweight with 2 three metre long glass fibre poles glued together like I did it weighs less than 20 pounds and you can therefore launch the boat all by yourself. It is the ideal boat for camping and if you should build it one advise is to make the keel shoe near the bow not like it is on the plan with a 6 inch high step but rather in a curve towards the bow. Salvatore in Australia made his boat this way and he can easily beach the boat on a flat shore and it is also easier to pull the boat onto the trailer. Another big plus is the seaworthy hull which lets you sail near the coast even when the waves are 6 foot high like George has proven on the Pacific near Vancouver Island. He was more scared to be run over by motor boats who can easily oversee such a small boat in high waves. That is the reason why he painted his boat bright yellow.
I hope you will build an Adelie 14 or 16 whereby the 14 is preferable and I wish you all the best.
Greetings Karl