Temporary structure to build a boat

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
CHOC
New Poster
New Poster

Temporary structure to build a boat

Post by CHOC »

Any recommendations on a temporary structure to build a boat in? I don’t have an indoor space big enough to build a Abaco 23. I’ll need to throw something together.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Temporary structure to build a boat

Post by fallguy1000 »

I used a hoop tent. Then heated the garage for smaller work.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I used a tunnel house, after half a year I put a decent groundsheet on top.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

The best thing I would recommend is a hoop house like this https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/col ... 3410397383 or something similar. There are other companies out there that may be cheaper. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Don't know how windy it is in your area but would this work? Can buy pipe to extend the poles and 5 gal of water per pole would help hold it down unless you need more holding power then move up to 20 to 30 gal barrels. Tarps are cheap to cover the sides and for the price you could extend it with 2.

https://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x-2 ... 63054.html
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

I put up a shelter logic brand tent, and it's worked great. Still using it 5 years later (no wind issues here, but it's held up to some decent snowfall)

CHOC
New Poster
New Poster

Post by CHOC »

OrangeQuest wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:38 pm Don't know how windy it is in your area but would this work? Can buy pipe to extend the poles and 5 gal of water per pole would help hold it down unless you need more holding power then move up to 20 to 30 gal barrels. Tarps are cheap to cover the sides and for the price you could extend it with 2.

https://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x-2 ... 63054.html
This is pretty cool. I’d need 10 more feet. I wonder if I could combine a 20 footer with a 10 footer.

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

narfi wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:30 pm I put up a shelter logic brand tent, and it's worked great. Still using it 5 years later (no wind issues here, but it's held up to some decent snowfall)
Guy I used to work with, bought two of those type tents, used the second one to double up the structure (snow load) for the same size, and then had the second covering for a spare to use when the first one wore out.