How’s your graphite bottom?

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: How’s your graphite bottom?

Post by Jaysen »

OneWayTraffic wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:54 pm
Jaysen wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:41 am I’m “hard” on the boat bottom as I have to launch/retrieve by dragging it up a concrete ramp. No matter which method I use it isn’t lasting more than two trips. Graphite is an easy touch up compared to paint.

Disclaimer: displacement hull doesn’t care it the touch up is perfect. Planing hull cares a lot more about the touch up smoothness.
I’d be investing in a pair of dinghy wheels on swing down brackets.
Or sweet talking a spot on a kayak lift. I don’t want junk on the transom when I’m out in the bigger water.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

It works pretty good and seems to last for me. But it does not make the bottom bullet proof. It is just epoxy with a little stuff mixed in with it.

wpstarling
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wpstarling »

mine is fine with sand, smooth rocks, grass, crab traps, old dock posts, and things like that but don't expect it to be fine hitting a good oyster bar. i've pulled up on some and just slowly coming onto the oyster bar puts some scratches/small gouges in it. The good thing is it's super easy to touch up if you need or want to. I put on 4 coats on my boat after I faired the bottom and have no complaints and it looks better than work boat finish IMO.
Boats restored: 1973 Glastron CV16, 1990 Proline 17 CC, 1993 Bass Boat
Boats built: custom 15ft flat bottom skiff, Soon-to-be-built TX18 (originally dborecky's build)