How’s your graphite bottom?

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

How’s your graphite bottom?

Post by jbo_c »

Those of you that have done graphite bottoms on your boats and used them a few years - are you happy with the performance? Is it still as you expected?

Jbo

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: How’s your graphite bottom?

Post by cape man »

11 years on Clara and I'm happy.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

2 pretty hard seasons and super happy, redoing my driftboat with epoxy/graphite soon, was painted.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Thanks for the validation, gents.

If we manage to have warm(ish) weather here through Thanksgiving, I may be able to get the graphite on the bottom of my boat before the project is done for the winter.

Jbo

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

On the other hand, I have a graphite bottom on my boat (6 yrs) - but wouldn't bother doing again. 8O Can't convince myself that its worth the trouble! :doh:

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

BarraMan wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:09 pm On the other hand, I have a graphite bottom on my boat (6 yrs) - but wouldn't bother doing again. 8O Can't convince myself that its worth the trouble! :doh:
Interesting. One thing I like about it is the lack of trouble. You can do multiple coats, wet on wet, no sanding in between, no 7 days drying in between. I found it much easier and quicker than the painted areas on my boat.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

This is what I like: “One thing I like about it is the lack of trouble. You can do multiple coats, wet on wet, no sanding in between, no 7 days drying in between.”

I figure if I’m going to have to coat it with something anyway and this isn’t problematic for some reason, it’s an easy call.

Jbo

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I’m “hard” on the boat bottom as I have to launch/retrieve by dragging it up a concrete ramp. No matter which method I use it isn’t lasting more than two trips. Graphite is an easy touch up compared to paint.

Disclaimer: displacement hull doesn’t care it the touch up is perfect. Planing hull cares a lot more about the touch up smoothness.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

94'325is
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by 94'325is »

I've done graphite on several boats and on my primary skiff it's been great for ~6 years so far. A few touch ups here and there but mostly because I was doing the bottom on another boat and had some leftover. I'm a big fan of how it wears when beaching and being drug; I'd do it again without hesitation. I also did 3 layers when it was new and seems to have not really worn much at all.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Jaysen wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:41 am I’m “hard” on the boat bottom as I have to launch/retrieve by dragging it up a concrete ramp. No matter which method I use it isn’t lasting more than two trips. Graphite is an easy touch up compared to paint.

Disclaimer: displacement hull doesn’t care it the touch up is perfect. Planing hull cares a lot more about the touch up smoothness.
I’d be investing in a pair of dinghy wheels on swing down brackets.